What to do after multiple auditions go well

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by SuperDuck, Jan 16, 2006.

1. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Here's the scenario: I moved up to Wisconsin a few months ago, and now that I'm settled and happy and my bands in Illinois are on hiatus, I decided it was time to start playing out again. I put up an ad on www.milwaukeerocks.com (a shameless plug for a great website!) in the classifieds stating that I was a bass player new the area, blah blah blah, experience and such.

I guess there are a shortage of bass players in Milwaukee, because I got well over 20 responses. The funny part about that is most of them were barely coherent, and one of them even spelled my name, which was in the ad I placed, wrong. These were all discarded.

I ended up picking three that really interested me and following up with them. For the first one, I got together with a very talented piano player who had sent me some clips of his playing. He's looking for someone to record tracks for him as he is a songwriter who does some jingles and background music at various functions. He's also working with a drummer to develop a very talented female vocalist whom they would eventually like to play out with. Very cool people, awesome music. I really felt like it was an opportunity for me to grow as a musician, etc.

Can you see where this is going yet? Like a dumbass, before even auditioning for the other groups, I agreed that it would be a blast to play with them and that I was pumped up to be on board.

Fast forward to this Sunday, where I auditioned for a ska band and had as much fun as I've ever had. They're currently regrouping with a different lineup, bassist position included. These guys felt like my friends from back home, and I know it would be a great time to play with them. They also asked me to play with them.

Now, if I had to choose between the two, I would go with the ska band. But that puts me in the unfortunate situation of either A) telling the first group "No, I was just kidding, I'd rather go with this other band I just played with," or B) "How do you guys feel about me splitting time between two groups?"

Is option B tacky given the situation? I'd rather I had explained up front that I had other auditions to attend, but I had such fun that night that I gave my kneejerk reaction instead of thinking things through. I don't think they're looking at playing out any time soon, while the ska band wants to start ASAP. I would like to do both, both don't want to piss off the first group more than I have to.

(The last audition is with a cover band, which seemed like a good idea at the time. I'll still go, and let them know the situation clearly and upfront, just so as to avoid further confusion. At this point, though, doing original music is really appealing to me.)
  2. Personally I'd just tell them both upfront you're involved in two projects, and try to keep them from interfereing with each other as little as possible.
  3. Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    option B definitely, especially since the first group isn't gig ready.
  4. BassChuck

Nov 15, 2005
  5. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    No ring on your ring finger so no reason to act like you are married to either act. Unless you informed the one of the groups that you were not going to work with anyone else, I can't see how they could get irritated if you have other projects. Keep as many irons in the fire as you can manage.
  6. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    Why do people feel guilty about being in more than one project?
  7. I would see the ska band as my main project and work with the piano player when there is time, because as the others write that project is not gig ready. Recording jingles etc should be no problem to fit in anyways.
  8. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Yes, I think I will end up going with option B. The only reason I feel bad is because I made it seem like I was on board to go ahead full steam, including multiple practices a week. I just feel like I was misleading (which I was), and I don't want to make anyone mad. I will be making the ska band my main band (assuming everything works out in the near future) and see if the other group is interested in just having me record.

Thanks for the replies. :)
  9. Jeb

Jul 22, 2001
    I participate in 2 and its a serious juggle. When both bands work regularly, there are booking conflicts. How you handle the conflict is the challenge and one or the other will get the short end. I don't know if its guilt, but its not a good feeling.
  10. jimbob

Dec 26, 2001
    Charlotte NC
    Endorsing Artist: Acoustica Mixcraft; Endorsing Artist: DR Strings
    When I relocated to NC, it took me YEARS to find the people I am with now. I would keep the Audition's open and meet some more people...you can make some great friends and maybe get referrals