1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What to do (drummer issue)

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Mybikeisblack, Jan 25, 2012.

1. Well, to start, my band has had our fair share of issues, but nothing as bad as this one that has come up. We tried out a few drummers, and we finally decided on one. He's picked up the songs quick, quick enough to the point that we're finally going to record. Well, shortly after his try out, hes been showing up late to practice. This wouldnt be an issue, but he has a habit of not answering or returning phone calls/texts. Its like this, we will set up practice for 2, he wont get ahold of anyone til 5,6,7 that night and then want to jam. He always has an excuse why hes late or why he doesnt answer his phone. Now, hes either very unlucky, or just doesnt want to be in the band or practice. It just seems like he's testing how dumb we are or something. Some of his excuses are out there. And this has happend for 8 or so practices. We'll set 4 days in advance for when we're gonna jam, hes cool with it. Ill call/text him the day before just to make sure we're all on the same page, hes still down. The day of, not a single word till super late. Now, about two weeks ago, he called me wanting to pick up his drum set to sell to someone. He shows up at the jam space with some dude I've never met and he plays the drums for the guy, the guy says, "ok ill take it". He never touched the set, but i guess he was ok with how it sounded. To me, this sounded kinda fishy, kinda like "he's quiting without actually saying anything". So i kinda over look it because he stays in contact. Well, he shows up to practice with the same set and said the guy didnt have enough money to buy it. Ok, we once again, over look everything, but keep in mind, they both showed up to the jam space so the guy could buy it, and so the drummer could demo it. Now, a few days ago, he said the guy finally has the money, and he comes and picks up the set AGAIN because the guy has all the money for the set. So he takes it, cool, we're all cool with it as long as he gets another set because we have to record soon. Well, about 5 days later, still no kit, very MINOR communication with him. So we were supposed to jam Monday, didn't happen, Tuesday didn't happen, and today, you guessed it, didn't happen. He claims every set he went to check out wasnt as described. Understandable, but I found him a new set for 50% of the price brand new, and he has yet to get back to me on it. Now, I don't know if we're acting to hastily, but we're fed up with his lack of communication. We've talked to him 3 times now about staying in contact when he knows he wont be able to jam. But, there's always an excuse and its getting old

I'm sorry for the winded comment, but I had to vent and I'm sure most of you have gone through something like this sometime in your life. What would you do? Believe him when he tells your the excuses? Keep working with him? Kick him to the curb? Any input would help ease my mind at this point.

2. Simple,
    Get a new drummer

3. I figured that, I just needed someone from outside of the band to say that. We've just got so far with this guy, we didn't want to have to start over. But in the long run, thats whats best.

4. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    You're just prolonging the inevitible if you don't get a new drummer, now.

Get a new drummer. You'll regret the time wasted if you wait. You cannot change people. Period.

5. Godfather

Godfather

Feb 4, 2001
    If you have to ask the question, you already have your answer.

6. All stuff I needed to hear. We have another guy we tried out, he's more than willing to fill the part.

7. Biggbass

Biggbass

Dec 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    easy solution;
    get a new drummer.

life is short, why put up with someone who makes it a pain in the azz?

8. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Aug 17, 2007
    Reno/Tahoe
    See my comment on your other thread

9. Sure did, gave me a lot to think about.

10. C47

C47

Mar 16, 2010
    New Hampshire
    smells like drugs

new drummer time

11. He does smoke weed, but I've been told he does pills aswell.

12. My band will dock your ass $30.00 if you don't show up for practices,to load in/out,etc. Start a new rule,if you miss practice,and don't have a decent reason? Your ass gets docked,period! Now,if it's some type of emergency,family issue,it's understandable. We treat it like an employer would. You just can't go to your day job whenever you want,so that's how we treat it.

If you instate a rule that'll start docking one's pay,there ass WILL do one of two things. His ass will either buckle down & do what's right,or,his ass will hit the road. Usually,if you put losin' or payin' cash into the equation,they tend to make up their minds if they wanna do this or not. We treat our band like a business,and it shows.
    I guess that's why we don't even go out and book gigs. After 18 years as a band,our calendar stays full. They call to book us. Our biggest problem is figuring out which gigs we want to play. All is well,and then some.

13. Buxtehude

Buxtehude

Jan 5, 2011
    Sydney
    This.

14. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    Classic behavior of an addict.

15. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    or possibly some kinda financial problem.

Whatever it is, he's not communication with you so +1 on replacing him.

He has no kit so he's really not a working drummer any more.

Sounds like he's already done with you guys so be done with him.

16. pgolliher

pgolliher

Apr 27, 2010
    Santa Cruz, CA
    IMHO, someone that doesn't call back etc doesn't respect you, they lack very basic communication skills, or they can't get their stuff together due to "other issues". All of which are problems that will become worse the longer you keep them around.

17. G3Mitch

G3Mitch

Feb 8, 2011
    New Zealand
    maaan this story is all to familiar. i dont know what it is with drummers. i suppose its like that with any musician, but drummers are more relivant to us bassists. obviously you get good ones and bad ones, but i would say 70%, maybe more, of drummers ive played/dealt with, dont seem to care to much about the band and their goals. they just like the idea of being in a band, and dont like the work that needs to be done to be IN a good band. the good ones are always good steady drummers, keen to jam, tight and always keen to work on things.... a rare breed.

EDIT: communication is probably the most obvious sign he doesn't care that much. if it were me, i would let the band know i wasn't going to make it, give a valid reason and reschedule. maybe im being a bit harsh, but i've been through this so much. you either want to do it, or you dont. right?

18. I know you've been a band for 18 years so you're obviously much older than I, but that sounds awful.
    I mean, I always show up on time and load / unload stuff like all good bandmates should. But making people pay money and saying your band runs like a business / employer?
    That sounds like you have sucked all of the fun from the music and become a strict money maker.
    Don't get me wrong, money is great, but at what cost?
    I'd much rather have a couple guys I can kick it with and play music / enjoy life with while shootin' the ****, playing shows and making cash at the same time instead of worrying whether or not I need to pay money for not wearing a matching tie with my business suit.

But maybe I just got the wrong impression?

19. Nope,that's NOT the case at all. First and foremost,all of us band members are pretty much best friends. We even hang out when we're not playing music. As a matter of fact,3 years ago,all our families went to Myrtle Beach on vacation together. Believe me,there just may be a law against how much we enjoy each others company. The bottom line with a band is,YOU GOTTA HAVE CHEMISTRY. And,we do,in spades. Just because we run a tight ship,certainly does not mean we can't have fun. I was just fortunate to get with a group of people who have the same goals when it comes to playing music. And those goals are to sound and look professional on stage,and to make people pick their jaws up off the floor when we're done playing.

20. Gotcha, gotcha.