1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

what to do first, headstock or glue fingerboard?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by jordan_frerichs, Apr 17, 2009.

1. jordan_frerichs

jordan_frerichs

Jan 20, 2008
    Nebraska
    I am trying to figure out if i need to glue the top of my angled headstock, and shape and drill it, or glue on the fingerboard, first. I am sure there is no wrong order, but i would assume either way would take a different approach, so i was wondering what they where.

2. It is easier to plane the front of the headstock, and then thickness the back, without the fretboard attached.

3. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Banned

Jul 22, 2007
    Cincinnati OH
    Luthier of Michael Wayne Instruments
    ^What he said.

4. jordan_frerichs

jordan_frerichs

Jan 20, 2008
    Nebraska
    ok. any tips on thicknessing a headstock? that is always a pain.

5. Its a pain for me too - I've tended to do it by hand against the drum of my thickness sander, or against the drum and flat area on my small edge sander. But I'm about to invest in a Wagner Safe-T-Planer specifically for this purpose, which will give more consistent results.

6. vbasscustom

vbasscustom

Sep 8, 2008
    oh yes it does, best tool ever i tell you. i use it to plane all my fingerboards. i do have a planer too, but i dont like to use it with the harder woods like ebony because its such a hassle to sharpen the knives. its a very good investment.

7. scottyd

scottyd Commercial User

Nov 17, 2006
    Waco Tx
    Builder/owner Redeemer Basses
    Yep Safe-T-Planer makes quick and easy work of it.

8. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    ^Whut he said, I recently purchased one. The first one I did, I did by hand (bandsaw rough cut,files and sanding). If you get a safe-t-planer, best bet is to create a makeshift table and fence for the drill press, it will dance around on you.

But yes, headstock first.....IMO.

9. I did it with my plunge router. Stick the headstock to the table with double sided tape and clamp or glue two thicker pieces of wood (guides) against the headstock on each side. Then just take of the wood doing multiple passes until it reaches the required thickness. It only needs some light sanding afterwards..

10. Now - I do like the plunge router idea.

That's why I like this place so much - I've had a router for - what - 7-8 years now? And I never thought to do it this way?!?! Even after seeing the Safe-T-Planer in action?!?!?!?!

11. I flatten the front of my angled headstocks on a belt sander, and then use a safe-T planer for the back.

12. jordan_frerichs

jordan_frerichs

Jan 20, 2008
    Nebraska
    I WANT A SAFE-T PLANER SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!! Only problem is, i don't have a drill press, or cash. They kicked me out of woodshop class again, and made a fake list of reasons i am an extreme hazard (example: ... does not use a push-stick, when feeding stock into planer) W T F!!!!!!! Anyone who has ever looked at a planer knows that it is not a "push-stick" machine. I am going to go to the super intendant again. That shop teacher is a f*cking child! (apologize about the language, just REALLY pissed) If you guys are interested, I'll tell the full BS story later. Short explanation: he holds a grudge against me from about 5 years ago.

13. jordan_frerichs

jordan_frerichs

Jan 20, 2008
    Nebraska
    A router would be good, if the neck wasn't in the way. Any idea how to get around that?
    Yea, without help from Tb, and a friend or 2, my stuff would not even be good as a wall decoration.

14. Make an angled shim to prop up the neck & tie/clamp it down so that the headstock face sits flush on the table, double-stick tape the headstock face to the table, set up your router tracks on either side, and Bob's your mom's brother.

15. Yeah.. it's a poor man's safe-t-planer :D. I also planed my fingerboard like this, using a 1/2" wide bit.

That's too bad Jordan. You seem to get on your teachers nerves more than once. Hope you solve this issue soon.. and about the *** child.. using such a language makes you seem one.. try to hold your piece ;).

You could easily make such a shim, but next time, you'd better plane it down before you glue it on. I'm reading two different books on guitar building, which guide me through the process and help me doing things in the right order :rolleyes:.