Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What to do for residency in college?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by xcental34x, Feb 5, 2004.

1. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    I'm going through a hard time right now trying to determine if I should live at home my first year of college. The advantage of living at home would be of course, free place to live and give me plenty of time to focus on my rig. I need the rig bad right now. But I also want the freedom of living by myself or on my own. I've thought about trying to find a roommate and getting an apartment, or just rooming at a dorm, but I just need some guidance.

~Patrick

2. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    As someone who moved out of home because of a job (I had to move interstate) - I would suggest staying at home as long as you can possibly stand it and, in addition, save as much money as you can.

Living out of home is very expensive and there are a lot of "hidden" costs that people don't think about - ie do you own a fridge, washing machine, microwave etc - do you pay your own phone bills, electricity bills, gas & water? Cable? Internet costs? etc.

Unless you have some compellnig reason to live out of home (ie dont get on with parents etc) I would advise against it until you ahve a full time job and can "really" afford it.

3. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    +1

4. kegbarnacle

kegbarnacle

Nov 18, 2003
    Phoenix
    Nah, I say move out. Get the dorm room. It'll be reasonable compared to an apartment. There won't be so many hidden costs there, they'll have most the amenities you need.

The reason? You'll have a blast. I'd go back and do college again in a second. I had the time of my life. Living in the dorm freshman year was really a helluva lot of fun. You'll remember that for the rest of your life. Unless you really NEED a rig for something specific and it's not just GAS, stick with the equipment you've got and go party like it's the year 2999.

5. i say go with the dorm idea. youll technically still be at home (wont really be moving out, just staying at school) that way you get the best of both worlds. of course, this depends on the cost of room and board at the school and who is paying that (you, parents, or scholorship/tuition)