Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What to do?? I think i got ripped off by a fellow talkbasser on the classifieds

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 513rocks.com, Jan 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 513rocks.com

513rocks.com Supporting Member

Sep 22, 2004
    Mason, Ohio
    Ive been saving up money for the last couple months for a backup bass for gigs. i recentally sold all my basses to get a sadowsky uv70 but have been gigging without a backup. ive been watching the classified ads here because i know good deals always seem to pop up here and the talkbassers ive dealt with in the past have been real fair and decent people. i was either looking for another jazz bass or maybe a pbass or stingray or something like that. i had around 800.00 to play with. i woke up xmas morning and got on talkbass and seen a red (looked pink) stingray. i sent the seller a private message and came to a good price (740.00). i looked up his feedback and it was really good. he even sold some stuff to some of the guys thats been here a while so i thought i could trust him. we sent emails back and forth for a couple hours and it sounded like the bass was in great shape. the only problems was a couple paint dings on the back. i went ahead and told him we had a deal and paid him through paypal. it took about a week to get the bass. i opened it up and looked it over. looked good except not only was there 3 dings in the back but the neck plat was cracked. i thought OH NO!!!. i looked down the neck and looked pretty straight. i grabbed a allen wrench and turned the spoke wheel and it just turned freely. the truss rod is broken or stripped. i boxed up the bass and went to my local store and had the guy that fixes my basses and stuff take a look at it. he looked at the back and felt of it with the allen wrench and said its broke or stripped. he said the same thing i thought. whoever dropped this and broke the neck plate broke the truss rod.
    i drove home and sent an email to the seller telling him about the truss rod and asked for a refund. a couple hours later he responded saying the bass was fine when he boxed it and there were no trial period or warrantee whatsoever. he then said he will not accept any responsibility or provide any refund of any kind. that seemed weird to me. i though talbass people were cooler than that.
    i sent another email saying look you sent me a broken bass and you need to do something about it. he sent me another email saying he only owned the bass for a week and talked to the guy he got it from. even though neither one of them ever touched the truss rod spoke cover, they know the rod was fine when they shipped it. he said he might go in half on a moses neck with me since it is my problem and he is a nice guy. can you belive that? 2 hours after he sent me that last email i got anoth email from him saying he lost his email service and may not be able to contact me anymore. :scowl:
    i do have his name, adress, phone number, and i did pay through paypal. any ideas or suggestions on what i should do??? i really need a back up bass and i called Ernie Ball today and a new neck would cost 400.00. i just want my money back!!!! i cant believe something like this would happen on talkbass.

2. Have you considered reporting a claim to the shipping company?

3. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    Just because he screwed you over, doesn't mean he represents everyone else here...

So who is he?

4. old grouch

old grouch "Old Fool? Ya don't get old, bein' no fool!"

GOOD (I think) NEWS! I have been a Paypal Member for years, and on a couple of occasions, I have received broken dreams, and damaged goods. I have over 700 eBaY deals, and it ain't always grand, but usually. Anyway, get on the paypal site, and register a complaint with them. If they feel you have 'merit' they will recharge your paypal account with the lost $$$.

5. toad

toad

Jun 26, 2002
    NYC
    So his claim is that it was damaged in shipping? The seller should have insured it during shipping. If the carrier is UPS, the seller has to file the claim.

6. old grouch

old grouch "Old Fool? Ya don't get old, bein' no fool!"

i do have his name, adress, phone number, and i did pay through paypal. any ideas or suggestions on what i should do??? i really need a back up bass and i called Ernie Ball today and a new neck would cost 400.00. i just want my money back!!!! i cant believe something like this would happen on talkbass.[/QUOTE]

ALSO, if you used paypal VIA a credit card, sometimes the CC co will chargeback the payment.

7. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Dispute the paypal charge NOW. How was the case? Is it possible it was shipping damage? If so, the seller needs to file a claim with the shipping company. If he "knows" the bass was fine upon shipping, this would be the only possibility, and I can't imagine he'd refuse to do so if he is a legitimate guy. If he refuses, or gives you any further run around, "out" him here. You have a good chance of getting your PP money back, and no one will EVER deal with him here again.

8. Sounds like you are getting the runaround. Try to remain civil throughout this if you can. Doesn't matter how long he owned the bass etc. He shipped it and should have insured it with UPS. It's not entirely your problem IMO. he should refund your $$ and file a claim. I betcha he already spent the money and can't come up with the refund. It wasn't terribly difficult to figure out who this guy is and I'll be careful to not do business with him in the future.

I'd contact Paypal......

Good luck......

9. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    If the case/box shows no damage, hes full of BS.

10. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I don't understand why the guy isn't filing a claim with the shipping company?!?!

If he's saying that it was OK when he shipped it, and it's obvious that it wasn't when it got there, then more than likely it's shipping damage. Of course, the shipping company will do an investigation when you file a claim, and they may deem that it was improperly packaged or something like that and refuse a refund. It's a hassle, but if the shipping company screwed up, then efforts should be made to rectify it.

11. 513rocks.com

513rocks.com Supporting Member

Sep 22, 2004
    Mason, Ohio
    the box was in good shape. i know it was not damaged in transit. like i said before, there are 3 dings in the back and neckplate is cracked. my guess is it was dropped on its back and thats when the truss rod was damaged.
    i really dont want to give his name yet. im still hoping he will do the right thing and refund my money. do you think i should post his name here?

12. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    Not necessarily. It could have taken a big drop during shipping and landed flat, leaving no sign of damage to the box but damaging the bass inside - particularly if it was poorly packed.

There's NO reason for the seller to refuse to file a claim, though.... that really raises suspicions...... :eyebrow:

13. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    Just going by your side of the story I'd say yes, because this person could rip off other TBers. There's also a feedback forum. If you want to give it more time, go ahead, but I think I can speak for at least some other TB "consumers" when I say, I'd like to avoid doing transactions with that person.

And whoever you are that sold this bass - do the right thing! Take it back... :mad:

Sorry you have to deal with this! Not a nice holiday surprise.

Marshall

14. bigbeefdog

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    No. You don't need to. ;)

Finish the transaction, for better or worse, then post the story in the seller's thread in the Feedback forum.

15. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    File a complaint with Paypal now. One of the things their 3% covers is dispute resolution. If it was damaged in shipping, it's the seller's responsibility to handle it. If it wasn't damaged in shipping, then he's liable. One of the benefits of Paypal is that they will hold the funds from the seller until the dispute is resolved. If he doesn't want to contact you anymore, let Paypal do the talking for you. If he doesn't respond to them, you'll get your money back regardless of whether he wants to co-operate, or not.

Also, have your friend who is a tech write up a receipt that he looked over the bass and came to the same conclusion as you did that the truss rod is snapped. Take pictures of the shipping box, too. Be sure to turn on the date stamp if you are using a digital camera (and, make sure the date is correct :D).

Good luck!

EDIT: It's kind of sad that he supposedly "lost his email account and couldn't contact you anymore" considering the punk was looking in the bass guitar forums less than 15 minutes ago. :mad:

A member since 2003 and he's never heard of a PM? :scowl:

16. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    Filing a claim with PayPal is no guarantee you'll get your money back. Since it was a private party transaction with no documentation(like an eBay description) chances are you will not win the case.

Unfortunately it's not just individuals screwing us around. A buddy of mine just got royally screwed by a bass dealer in the northwest US on a $3K instrument pretty much playing the same game.

17. bigbeefdog

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    Oh, there's documentation.

BTW, 513, would probably be a good idea to print out that description from the For Sale thread..... you might need that, along with your tech report that Bassmonkee wisely advised you to get.....

18. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    Oh yeah...I'm a bit slow today! Little girl did not sleep...

M

19. klocwerk

klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    +1

20. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    No documentation? What do you call a string of emails, a tracking receipt, an inspection receipt from a guitar tech, and a screen cap of the original ad? You think eBay is the only thing that will work?

If he disputes through paypal, and the seller doesn't respond, he gets his money back. Period. If he does respond to Paypal when he won't respond to the buyer (after saying "I'm losing my email so I can't contact you anymore"), do you think that's going to work in the seller's favor?

Lay off your user name before posting.

In the event the seller deletes his thread, I've saved it to my harddrive in it's original form (something you might want to consider doing yourself). Oh, and 513--from the looks of your profile picture, I don't think I'd be dumb enough to screw you over on a bass. :bag:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.