What to do if the venue hoses you?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by biergott, Jul 31, 2003.

1. biergott

biergott DuBistEineKartoffelnsalad kopf

Feb 7, 2002
    Orange County, Ca
    My band is playing TONIGHT.

The problem however is that there are two booking agents at the venue (just a little dive anyway, so why they have two I have no idea)

So, we get a call at 9:30pm last night (night before the show)that went, "Hi, I'm ______ from ___________. _______, the guy you booked through is no longer here because he was flaky. I saw one of your flyers so I figured I would give you a call. We have Hip Hop and Reggae bands lined up for tomorrow night already. But, if you want you can bring you stuff and play in the other room while the other bands play on stage."

(names removed to protect the stupid)

Hmmm. Let me see. Heavy Rock, with no PA playing next to loud reggae and hip hop. How is this gonna work? Is our singer gonna roll up a piece of paper into a cone and yell through it?

After a couple hours we have it worked out the we will play at 10:30 (1 1/2 hours after our guests think we will play) on the main stage, through the PA, but between two reggae acts (we are pretty heavy) and the act we rounded up to open for us is left in the cold.

Question is, it was very unprofessional of the club, and frankly I am very pis@$#d off. Do we mention this to anyone? Do we just not play there again? Do we let other bands know? Should we receive extra compensation?

Not showing is not an option as we flyered the crap out of the show and that would just make us look bad.

Appreciate the quick responses since it all goes down tonight!

2. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    some people will never understand - no contract, no play

if club owners etc. won't sign a contract - don't play there! that's all there is to it.
  3. biergott

biergott DuBistEineKartoffelnsalad kopf

Feb 7, 2002
    Orange County, Ca
    By the way, we do have a contract. Only thing is, I'm not a lawyer.

It doesn't specify which area of the club we play in. It does specify compensation (% of the door), the date, estimated time, how much we owe if we don't show etc, etc, etc....

Also, I don't think the guy who booked us was authorized to sign the contract....not sure exactly what internal issues the club has, and frankly I don't care. I am more worried about what the heck is going to happen tonight.

EDIT: I just re-read this, and didn't mean for it to sound snotty or condescending, please don't take offense!!
  4. I think they should give you another night where the stage is yours and pay you more :\ oh btw...i was looking at ur bands website, and i was looking in photos...and what happened here:

~ Tyler
  5. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
  6. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Well, first off the booker is treating you pretty well in my opinion...he could have just cancelled you, or not even told you anything until you showed up to play. Maybe it's because of the contract, eh? :p

I'd look at this as an opportunity :cool:

Since you had been dealing with the flaky ex-booker this is your chance to give this other guy a positive impression.
  7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    If you don't like it, don't go back. And what's with the opening act? What the hell's that? Did the owner know about any opening act?
  8. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    The problem with this is: any club that has an "on-property" Agent/Booker/Entertainment Director, most times has that person sign the contracts. That means: when that person no longer represents a property, that property no longer has to honor any of his booking contracts.

This happens in Vegas all the time. Some properties are cool and will usually honor the contracts, but many leave it up to the "New Guy" to decide, and if you're not a group he wants to work with in the future, very often he won't honor the "Old Guy's" bookings.

I think this club was commendable for trying to still work it out with you, and the "Flake" who originally booked you should have been professional enough to call you and tell you his situation, as soon as it happened, so you could call the club and follow up at that time.
  9. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    So - how did it go?