What to do in a gig between the DJ sets?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Steve Clark, Mar 15, 2005.

1. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON

Got a call today for a last minute thing on Thursday night. We will play sets between a DJ. Drummer is great and the rest of the band is keys and bass.

We have never played together so it could be interesting. Drummer called the gig and said we could get up there and just "groove for a while". Then the DJ would take over.

And we get paid. Well!

What would you do? Depending on how drunk everyone is grooving in E or B would only be fun for so long. Keys player can sing and play alto sax. Knows all the James Brown, Stevie Wonder poop.

Either way it will be a blast. I'm an old man at 39 but get to hang out in the hippest dance club in town and play loud and funky.

Did I ask a question yet? What easy to throw together funky covers would you do? I'm thinking some Meters would be great.

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    When you say "hippest dance club" what kind of music are they playing??? I could suggest stuff that most everyone could dance to (ie. Hey Ya by Outkast, Let's Get It Started by Black Eyed Peas, stuff from Maroon 5, Los Lonely Boys, etc.), but it might not fly.

What's the D.J.'s playlist???
  3. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Take your big ears along... you know, the set that's all about listening and responding ;)

Should be fun. One thing that might be worth establishing is whether your purpose as a group is to provide "more of the same" (in which case you starting point is going to be the kind of thing the DJ has been spinning) or a contrast (in which case, it's anything else, but probably fairly mellow and laid back).

If you're worried about running out of ideas, how about taking a New Real Book up there on the stand with with you, not to "play the standards" but just to give you a resource full of melody snippets and chord patterns that you can jam around on to launch you back into orbit.

4. what ve noticed that usually works is that i take what i have learned already. tese includ elike little like pieces to songs that people know and throw them in during a jam. example if were jamming along and he right time comes ill do the lie to so fresh so clean a few times. it usually works as people like hearing what they know. but here your putting it in a new situation.
  5. try connecting the songs the dj puts out. hell, it's better than getting alienated because what your playing is drastically different from what's going on