1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What to do in Nashville?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by tplyons, Jan 11, 2012.

1. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Looking to book a trip to Music City in the end of March. I'm going out to see an old friend, and use leftover vacation days from last year.

What is there to do? My friend will be 20 weeks pregnant so hardcore partying is out.

2. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    You should go down to Broadway during the day and check out Gruhn's guitars. Tons of vintage stuff. Try and get over to Station Inn and hear the Time Jumpers if you like old school country and texas swing. True masters of their craft.

3. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

BBQ pulled pork and sweet tea. ;)

4. ZachM

ZachM

Nov 19, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    Pick up a copy of the Nashville Scene paper when you get here.

I'd recommend swinging down to Murfreesboro and going to The Low End Bass Shop if you wanna kill a few hours playing some awesome basses.

I'm a big fan of the Belcourt Theatre - they run a lot of great, atypical artsy movies.

Music-wise, check to see if The Players are doing any gigs while you're around in addition to the Time Jumpers. Also, look for Pat Mclaughlin - he's awesome.

Foodwise, BBQ and Hot Chicken! Go to Prince's!

5. There is a park directly across from Vanderbilt University (Centennial Park??), where they have a replica of the Greek Parthenon. It is quite impressive. Within the park is a nice walking path that goes around a lake and some historical railroad locomotives. It is very nice and relaxing.

I'd recommend the Mellow Mushroom - a chain of restaurants in the South, typically near universities. They have great pizza and loads of great beers on tap. You have a DD (your pregnant friend), so perhaps this will help. I try to visit as many of these as possible - definitely a favorite of mine!

6. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Do a search if you would for "Nashville" in this OT forum and I believe there are another couple threads on this very subject.

7. Fretless1!

Fretless1!

Feb 19, 2007
    Frist museum, Cheekwood mansion, Bluebird Cafe, Broadway and 2nd Avenue area (Riverfront Park), Grand Ol Opry, the Station Inn, and The Muse (Um, scratch that last one).

What kind of stuff are you looking to do?

8. +1 to the Players...They usually play at 3rd and Lindsley...As do Adam Nitti, the Wootens, etc. Great place. There's also a killer Jamaican restaurant by the farmer's market downtown that I highly recommend.

9. Fretless1!

Fretless1!

Feb 19, 2007

10. Take in a Predators game! ;)

11. Staccato

Staccato Low End Advocate

Aug 14, 2009
    Alabama
    Visit Broadway day & night-between 4th Ave. where celebrities shop for guitars (Gruhn Guitars) and the river (you'll know you're at the river when you see the Hard Rock Cafe sign).

If you want a meal to remember (besides a fancy supper) visit the Pancake Pantry. There's generally a line to get in, and what a great place it is! Plan a two hour visit, and hang out for awhile at your table & fill up on the coffee & atmosphere. There's quaint shopping up & down the block in that immediate area.

12. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Go to Monell's for breakfast. It's awesome. We ended up seated with a group of Nashville firefighters, which was cool. The Frist modern art museum is excellent.