What to do in New York?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by hujo, Oct 5, 2005.

1. hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Hi! So I'm in New York for three weeks, and i could use some help! What's hip, where are all the cool stores, where should i eat, and where (most importantly) where should I go late at night for drinks and music? We're into jazz and rock btw.

I know this has been covered before, but I thought i'd get more info on what's going on these particular weeks i'm here this way..

Heads up to Nino: We're coming to Sadowsky!

Cheers and thanks!
  2. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Whenever I go to NYC I try and do two things: eat at Ruth's Chris and catch a show on broadway. Granted I only get to NY a couple times a decade, so when I do I try to hit the really good stuff.

I think the Ruth's Chris in NY is much better than the others I've eaten at (Baltimore, Atlanta and Chicago), and I've like broadway since I was a kid (my parents took me every years as a birthday present, from age 8 to 16).
  3. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

The Century 21 store across from that huge hole in the ground
    is one of the best stores around, great prices on clothing, shoes, etc.

Little Italy, Chinatown and Soho are all worth seeing, though
    Soho has gotten pretty homogenized.

If you want to avoid a chain restaurant, Keene's Chop House in midtown was always noted for huge steaks, rather pricey
  4. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Whadya like to eat?
    Jazz Standard is a nice club, the Blue Note is overpriced and often noisy, Birdland is a nice club (depending on who's playing- ps if you are a member of the musician's union, bring your card. They'll give you a break on the cover charge.), I haven't been to the new Iridium. Sweet Rhythm is the old Sweet Basil's it's a nice room. The Jazz Gallery is a nice room with a nice calendar.

Of the smaller rooms, SMOKE generally has a nice lineup, SMALL's is in a new location, CLEOPATRA'S NEEDLE is a joint to go to for the younger, testosterone fueled crowd. CORNELIA STREET has a nice calendar, KAVEHAZ is a weird joint-check the calendar cause it can be kind of all over the place in terms of music, 55 Bar isn't called the Toilet for nothing, but it has a nice NY vibe and the music is generally pretty happening

There's a nice brunch at the Cafe Loup that features Bob Kindred, John Hart and Steve LaSPina (when Ray Parker isn't subbing for him). Plus countless joints like Sofia's, Jezebel's, Charlie O's on 9th Ave. (buncha guys who live in Manhattan Plaza around the corner, Dave Schnitter leads the band), Blue Fin etc etc etc. All of which have great players playing for audiences that often don't care...

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Meet Bob Lee and the NY crowd this Friday for Dinner and Drinks on 43 rd street! :)
  6. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Check out the Voice for music listings; here's the listing fronm the website today.
  7. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Get Junior's cheesecake when your in Brooklyn.
  8. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    I think you should check out Iridium Jazz club or the 55 bar. Theyre both great, and I especially recommend the food at Iridium. I saw Bass Extremes there, and Anthony Jackson at the 55 bar. I also highyl suggest you check out some of the museums (Museum of Natural History, MoMA, Brooklyn Museum). Have fun, and try not to look like a tourist. Theres no one I hate in NYC more than tourists (esp when they just stand around in the middle of the street).
  9. retitled

Feb 13, 2004
    forest hills
    what part of NY are ya staying in?

make sure u check out times sq and such :p

giant toys r us there :) with a Farris wheel in the middle.. :hyper:

and a virgin megastore..
  10. I go to the city at least 5 times a year. I love it there and since it's only a $14 train ride away, I go as often as I can. Now, I don't know what kinda music you're into, but Les Claypool is playing in Manhatten on the 21st I think, and Zakk Wylde a week later. Check Ticketmaster for specifics if you like. I love concerts in the city, it's usually my main reason for going.
    Any other free night you have, just wonder the village and the downtown area, even if you don't know where you're going you'll find good bars/restaurants and whatever else you can think of.
    In Manhatten, it's hard NOT to find something to do (assuming you have a little extra $$$ to have fun with).
  11. Walk around.

I've been there once... but I've never seen anything like it. :smug:
  12. UnsungZeros

UnsungZeros The only winning move is not to play.

If you don't want to look like a tourist, I suggest not looking up into the sky at all the buildings. That's a dead giveaway.
  13. retitled

Feb 13, 2004
    forest hills
    iv been living in NY for 20 years and i STILL look up lol... i dont look like a tourist thoug :p
  14. hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Thanks guys, especially Ed for all the clubs! We're staying with some friends in Hastings, but they're not really hip to the music scene, so I really appreciate all the help we can get.. We've spent about two days now just walking around on Manhattan (it's big!) but we still haven't found any nice clubs with good not so mainstream music.. e've been to some nice bars, but where do all the young people meet? All we've seen are guys in striped shirts in their thirtees! ;-)

We're here for three weeks, so we have time to take it easy and check things out, which is great, but money is pouring through my fingers.. Any good _cheap_ places to eat and/or drink?

I'll be sure to check out some of those clubs, Ed, thanks all!
  15. dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
  16. Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    If you're into weird stuff and seeing weird people:

Lips resataurant:

crazy good fun and it isn't that expensive either

also: Rocky Horror Picture Show at Clearview Chelsea Cinemas, on 260 West 23rd Street, every Friday and Saturday at midnight (get there early).

Get back to me if you're interested in either of these activities; my friend Pete is coming back from college this weekend so we might actually be there.
  17. dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    Just thinking...
    If you want to be around young people who aren't the guys you described, head down to Greenwich Village. Aim for Washington Square Park and explore the streets all around there. Lots of inexpensive restaurants (virtually all types of food), nightclubs, bars, galleries, etc. Fantastic for basic people-watching, too.
    Greenwich Village was the Bohemian center of the universe in the '50s and '60s, and it still has that in the air. New York University is right there, too, so you have the student influence.
    Good luck!
    Oh, yeah, if you're interested, Electric Lady (Jimi Hendrix's recording studio) is on West 8th Street. I've made a few pilgrimmages there. :cool:
    Then there's CBGB, where punk was born, on the corner of Bleecker and Bowery (sadly, it closed during the summer, but you can stand outside if you like).
    The Fillmore East stood at 105 2nd Avenue near 6th St. It has been an Emigrant Savings Bank for years, but the building itself is still there if you want to touch it and feel the vibrations from the Allman Brothers, Hendrix, the Grateful Dead, the Who, etc., etc.
    All are easily walked to from Washington Square Park.
  18. DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    Want some good/cheap Japanese Izakaya? goto Yakitori Taisho on St Marks (8th St) between 2nd-3rd Ave! Great food.. USed to go couple of times every week!!

Want AWESOME fries? Goto Pommes Frites, 2nd Ave between 6th & 6th St.. You'll see a SMALL tiny place, that only serves fries.. but.. with 50 toppings to choose from! yummies, getting hungry thinking about it

Want awesome Pizza? goto Stromboli Pizza on St Marks and 1st (You'll see a big green sign).. one of my favorite pizzas of all time.. get the plain cheese slice, you will be hooked.

I love the Lower East Side/East Village as you can see ;)