1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What to do (in reguardes to selling ) my non-original 1965 Jazz Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rwkeating, Jan 8, 2017.

1. rwkeating

rwkeating

Oct 1, 2014
    Chicago
    none
    Do I sell my 1965 Jazz bass (14 FEB 65B, L83384) as a whole or part it out? The purist in me says sell it whole but I've seen some crazy prices (at least being asked) for original parts. I guess a restore is another option but I don't have the money for that and I probably wouldn't make it back either.

full?d=1483912183.

More pictures can be found in my Talkbass Media Album.

I bought this bass in about 1981 before the "vintage" Fender craze started. It came from Chicago blues musician 'Bumble Bee' Bob Novak. He used to sell instruments on the side.

When I got the bass the finish was stripped, it still had frets, the machine heads (tuners) were in really bad shape and it was missing some parts (see list below.) I had it refinished, made fretless and had the tuners replaced. It plays and sound great and that is one reason not to part it out!

Here is a list of what is original, missing or changed starting at the head stock and working down

Original
    • string tree and screw
    • nut
    • fingerboard (slots filled for fretless)
    • neck
    • truss rod
    • neck plate and screws
    • body
    • stap buttons and screws
    • bridge
    • control plate and knobs (1 of 3 screws is different)
    • pickups
    • some wiring (wiring to pickups not original)
    • bridge volume pot, tone pot, tone cap, jack.

Missing
    • original tuners
    • hootenanny strap button on back of headstock
    • frets
    • original body finish
    • pickgaurd (and screws and holes)
    • pickup cover and bridge cover
    • thumb/tug bar (and screws and holes)
    • original bridge volume pot.

Changed
    • tuners
    • Extra string tree added
    • extra hole from a different string tree placement
    • hootenanny strap button replaced with string tree
    • no frets (made fretless and slots filled)
    • re-finish (not sure what it is but it has cracked a lot with age, has dings and dents and chipped out around neck pickup)
    • neck pickup volume pot
    • wiring to pickups

Other
    Since it was made fretless and since I like my strings very low, I added two 0.025" aluminum plates under the neck. This isn't a shim. I didn't want a shim that would change the angle of the neck and the stress point between body and neck. The plates act as spacers lifting the neck so I could get the string lower than the bridge would allow. They can obviusly be removed.

The truss rod works and the neck is not twisted. I have what I believe is the original case (black outside, orange inside with Fender badge on outside.) The inside is clean. The outside is scuffed and marked up.

This is a video that include this bass done back in 2013. It wasn't intended to show off the bass, but this is the only video of it that I have.

So what do you recommend? If I sell it whole, what price do think would be fair?

2. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Ballpark would start at about 25 to 30% the going rate for a good condition all original one. Due to all the mods and replaced parts.

3. Grumry

Grumry

Jul 6, 2016
    Nashville
    I have no idea about the bass, but the video was awesome!

4. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Wonderful video. No longer a collectible, but a wonderful sounding instrument.

5. I agree it is no longer truley collectable,
    but it is a fine instrument in it's own right
    and surely still has the heart and soul of a 65.

Nice vid, too.

6. rwkeating

rwkeating

Oct 1, 2014
    Chicago
    none
    Thanks for the kind words about the video.

I guess I will just have to pick a price, post it here in the classifieds and lower it if it doesn't sell. I don't want to come off as a jerk about this. I just want to get the most for it that results in a fair deal for myself and for the buyer.

7. Chico Ruger

Chico Ruger Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2014
    Florida
    I liked the video, too. Your twin brother did a nice job on the stick. It would seem, howerver, that you two are old enough to stop dressing alike.

Gluvhand and rwkeating like this.