Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What to do in Toronto?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bayou_Brawler, Mar 31, 2004.

1. Bayou_Brawler

Bayou_Brawler The most hurtful thing ever realized

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    People,

I'm leaving Detroit tomorrow and headed to Tronto for a week before I return to Texas.

I'm meeting a freind there that just moved there so he has no idea what's going on there either.

Anybody been? Any advice on what to do and see? :help:

2. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Stay out of Regent's Park and most parts of Scarborough...

3. Bayou_Brawler

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    why?

4. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    That was actually kind of tongue in cheek. Those aren't the best or the safest areas, although nothing compared to those of Detroit. (and perhaps Houston as well, but I've never been there so I don't know for sure)

As for stuff to see, it depends on what you want to do... I don't know Toronto's club scene at all, but "touristy" stuff to see would be the CN Tower, SkyDome, Science Centre, Toronto Island and Ontario Place.

You should probably wait for some of the TO natives to chime in for better info... :D

5. Bayou_Brawler

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    yeah Detroit is a freaking war zone.....lol, the greater part of Houston is pretty safe though....

yeah i was planning on the CN Tower, i'll look into those other spots

6. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

First of all - Say "Tron-ta", (not "Toe-ron-toe)......that's how the natives pronounce it.

Places I've liked as a tourist who likes to support live music;

> El Mocambo - where the Stones played
    > Silver Dollar Room - seedy but was the "real deal" when I was last there
    > Club Rockit - nightclub/concert setting with first rate bands
    > My Apartment
    > Club 606

After hours - The Matadore - open till 5 am.

Cover charges can be $10 but remember - it's Canadian money.

Getting there - taxi drivers know their way around and the locals are very friendly, IME, and will give you directions to the next place.

7. Bayou_Brawler

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI

what kind of tunes are going on at those places?

8. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Sorry, but I can't say for sure because I was only able to hit them for one night per club..........not like the "Nawlin's" which specializes in New Orleans-type jazz.

When you get to your hotel or go out on the street, there are loads of free entertainment papers available that will tell you what's going on, where.

9. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    I used to live there. Don't worry about Regent Park and Scarborough. I have been to both several times and while they are not the greates areas, they are not the south bronx. I have yet to see an actual ghetto in Canada and I have travelled a great deal of our northern neighbor.

The Horseshoe, The Rivoli and The Cameron House are great clubs to go in to have a beer and see a band. All three are on Queen St. They are lots of other places on Queen. The Rivoli also has really good food. If you are into clothes, then queen st is for you. Lots of shops in the area.

The Orbit Room on College St is a cozy little place usually featuring really good bands. It is also owned by Alex Lifeson of Rush and his son manages it. (at least when I used to drink there)

Matador: as previously mentioned, open late and can be fun.
    Now for the GAS:
    Music stores: SongBird Music and Capsule Music are great places for used gear. Steve's Music is a kind of Sam Ash styled store. The 12th Fret has alot of nice stuff. Long&McQuade is also a lot like a Sam Ash.
    PS. the magazines you want to grab with the club/entertainment lists are NOW magazine and EYE magazine. Have a good time

10. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    What he said. :)

How could I have forgotten Club Bass (www.clubbass.ca)? Be careful, it will induce GAS.

11. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    How can anyone go to Toronto & not see the Hockey Hall Of Fame?

...how?

12. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Because it is not in Montreal where it belongs.......
    :D

13. ashbory

ashbory

Jun 13, 2000
    The Hammer
    Hey Dave...
    Without the Hockey Hall of Fame, how else would the Stanley Cup end up in Toronto?

14. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles

:D :D :D
    Go Leafs, Go Away!

(disgruntled Rangers fan here) :mad:

15. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    I'll second Club Bass for sure.

As well, weather dependant, check out the waterfront; it's very nice on a good day.

16. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Thanks for tellin' me you were going to be in Detroit!
    There's a few of us here that would've booked some time for you man!

17. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    Club Bass is an impeccable choice, but not too far away you can also check out Capsule Music (www.capsulemusic.com) at 921 Queen St. W. They usually have some decent vintage-y stuff there (older P-Basses a lot lately). About a block or two east from Capsule there is Songbird at 801 Queen St. W, which is not as good (IMHO) overall, but they do have probably the most eclectic selection of effects if that's your bag (both new and used).

18. The Rex has some good variety of jazz
    There is lots to do... what off hand I don't know, but I know there is lots.

19. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    When I spent a few days there, I enjoyed the Queen St. nightlife and all the touristy stuff, but what I think I dug most was visiting (and eating in) all of the ethnic neighborhoods. Toronto is probably the cleanest, most friendly and seemingly functional large city I've ever visited.

:)