what to do memorial day weekend

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, May 25, 2004.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    saturday, may 29th:

1. wake up.
    2. eat breakfast.
    3. get dressed (skip this step if preferred).
    4. decide on the best way to travel to nyc.
    5. take train to w4th and Ave. of Americas.
    6. eat at Taco Bell a couple of blocks away (i recommend 2 bean burritos and a 7-layer).
    7. find something else to do while walking from there to the east side.
    8. locate 315 bowery (3rd Ave.) before 11:45pm - the legendary cbgb.
    9. watch The Nerve! perform at their very best - midnite (sharp!)
    10. inroduce yourself and say hi to joe.
    11. buy a nerve t-shirt, dvd and cd.
    12. find your way back home.

suggestions on variations of the above are very welcome - steps 8 through 11 however should not be changed.

2. bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    I'm headed to West Vancouver for my mother in laws funeral. :bawl:
  3. Although the chances are exceptionally small that I would make the 13 hr drive to the East coast, I would hit Ft. Bragg NC on Thursday for Division Review (it's All-American Week, you know http://www.bragg.army.mil/www-82DV/), so I'd imagine around a 6-8 hr drive from Raleigh to NYC... hmmm....

But I have to be back here Friday nite for a show here...

4. fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Awesome, I used to play CBGB's. Cool club. But I have 3 shows this weekend with 2 different bands.
  5. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    since the show is tonight i thought i'd give myself a little bump. :)
  6. odie

odie Supporting Member

Joe in all seriousness I would make one of your shows a must for me if I ever make it to the big apple. Did you ever think of doing a small summer tour?? Maybe crash at fellow TBrs couches. Heck we might even be able to point you in the right direction for gigs.
  7. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Don't forget "stop off at 48th St. and buy a new bass". :)
  8. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    odie - yes. we've considered touring many Xs. never thought about asking to crash at talkbassers places though - that's a great idea! we're going into the studio in a couple of weeks to do our 3rd CD, and we finally have a decent label that I believe is going to start giving us support. when all that's in line we probably will hit the road - and i'll take you up on your invitation to help out :) .
  9. joe, hope the show went well, it would be awesome to play in CGBG's, and like the Ramones' roadie i could say...
    "It was awesome, here I was in such a **** hole, standing here, taking a piss with the ramones! it really was amazing. i would tell everyone, 'i pissed with the ramones!!!'" :meh: :D

i lvoe the demos on your site, too bad im flat broke to buy a CD :(

you can bet should you ever be in scotland, or north engerland ill be there!!! :cool:
  10. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    yooz guys got me in trouble last nite!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the place was packed, i was having a unbelievably grand time. these guys that i never saw then start yelling my name between songs. i figgered it was talkbass guys so i started having even more fun. one guy in particular came up to the stage and started really complimenting my playing. who else could it have been? i start kinda playing a little towards him.... then it started getting slightly weird. he noticed that he had the same exact mermaid tattoo as me, in the same place. my shirt was covering half of mine but he noticed, i thought it was cool - i don't think he did. still don't know actually. anyhow.... after the show he approached me. he was a big, somewhat frightening, wasted dude and he asked me if i believed in fate. I said, "sometimes". he said, "we're meant to be together!" :eyebrow: i thought, okay fine - i'm outta here. but he wouldn't let me go. he said he played steel guitar and i was going to be his bass player. he wanted my information. i told him to get a pen, i was gonna give him our website. he just kept staring at me real weird and rambling about who he studied with, the people he played with. i live in NYC and have met just about every type of punk and drunk, but this guy freaking rattled me. there was something really menacing, disconnected, and nerve! wracking about him. he kept on me for a while till i finally managed to escape with my girl.

he wasn't a talkbass guy. he knew my name cuz he aksed one of our fans. he really dug my playing and i guess wanted me in his band. he did lots of name dropping, not a single name of which i ever heard - he was shocked that i had no idea who he was talking about.

other than that, we had the best show we ever had there... OHHH NO!!!! WAIT! another story.... with the band after us. ahhh... i'll write about it later in gig stories but the gyst is I'm NEVER lending my amp to anyone ever again. it's a solemn vow i'm making to myself.

last note - when i was packing my gear i noticed that the drunk guy left in a huge white limo. just made me wonder a bit. there is no way on earth i'd ever be able to play in a band with that guy though.

reading this back i realize that it all doesn't sound quite as strange as it actually was - but i'm on 3 hrs sleep and andrea (me girl) is still here, talking to me which makes it next to impossible for me to do the important things - like posting here.
  11. I don’t know why but as soon as you described the guy the thought “ Munji took a limo to your gig?” went thru my head. :p