What to do now (A cirrius dilemma)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fourstringdrums, May 15, 2005.

1. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Well, I don't know how many of you saw this thread in Setup about the new Cirrus I bought http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=179956 From the extremely odd rattling I was getting and inconsistency of the problems, and the fact that it only happens past the 12th fret and the neck was pretty darn straight, I figured it was a fret level problem.

So, I took it to the local tech here and without even touching it he tells me to return it because the second he does work on it, he'll void the warranty (which I was aware of). But, he doesn't even attempt to look at it and tell me what he think might be the problem. Instead he procedes to tell me that "You're never going to be happy with any bass" and that I should get out now before I own the bass for good. While that last part is good for practical reasons, I was insulted that he said I would never be happy with any bass.

Yes, I've owned quite a lot of them. Like alot of us, tastes change and you want to move on. But a few basses I had, I took to him because they did have their problems. But what business of that is his? And at any rate, this was not was going on here with the Cirrus. I LOVED this bass: the tone, the playabilty (up until where the problems on the neck started), even the 35" scale. He also tried telling me that 35" scales play differently and tried to explain the problems away as something that is inherant in a 35" scale bass (oh please). I told him that with the fact that some frets were fine, and others weren't, this was not the case. He also tells me that the action is too low (funny because he never played it himself, and all the frets except for the culprit frets play just fine even with the super low action. Most of my problems come during tapping, when notes were just dead clicks, and I thought low action was good for tapping? Also, I even raised the action and it didn't change a thing).

At any rate, and now that I've got that off my chest, I need help deciding what to do now. I returned the Cirrus and got my money back, but the owner of the store won't order me another one because apparently they weren't even supposed to have the Cirrus to begin with, and I guess it was a fluke chance that he ordered one. Plus, he's selling the store possibly and doesn't want to order many new things. No one else around here could get me a Cirrus, so I don't know where else to get one. Do I dare order through Musicians Friend or should I just move on and find something else?

If I do move on, I'm very afraid of getting stuck with another bass that has playability issues, as I can't try alot before I buy around here (think Ibanez, Dean and Fender...all the low end stuff), and basses with bad playability tend to follow me like a rotweiller on a one legged mailman.

I'm looking for something that can get me a vintage tone, but a modern one if need be, and is versatile, as was the Cirrus. Budget is around $1500 give a few hundred possibly.

Thanks guys.
  2. artistanbul

artistanbul Nihavend Longa Vita Brevis

Apr 15, 2003
  3. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Nice bass :) I'm up for buying used, but I'm not looking for an ash/maple or a 5.
  4. Razman

Feb 10, 2005
    Orange Park, FL
    Are there no other techs in your area who could have looked at it? Did you try contacting Peavey or used their message boards? If you're interested, there's a used one local to me, looks to be mostly maple, the pawn shop is asking $899 and it is in good shape.

I almost bought one off the 'Bay but came up with enough resources to buy a Dingwall Z1. Mine is ash (body) and maple (neck). I was playing a four string Cirrus which belongs to my church. I really like the Cirrus' tone (I wouldn't describe it as vintage the way we have it set thru our PA) but I wasn't trying to emulate it when I bought the Z1. With Barts and the Bartolini NTMB pre I think mine sounds pretty modern, but going to either the front or rear pup will give you varied but usable tones. I'm not a vintage tone connesseur so I'm not really qualified to answer that aspect of it, but I like the sound, my sound guys like the sound, and it plays awesome.

You may check with the other Dingwallers out there to find answers to your tone requirements if you are interested. An Afterburner is in that price range and I've heard they are very flexible, tonally speaking.

Another thought on buying a bass sight unseen. My first experience was a bad one. I bought a used Peavey TL-5 from a bass store online, based on my experience with Peavey in the past as I think they are a great company and I like their products. I probably wouldn't have noticed anything immediately had I played it first, but after a month or two of owning the bass I found two major issues with it. Both could have been fixed probably, but I decided not to invest more into it to fix issues that shouldn't have been there to begin with.

I was leery the second time, but felt better because of Dingwall's reputation for excellent craftmanship. I haven't been disappointed, just more and more impressed each time I pick up my bass. In any case though, buyer beware.

Best wishes on your search for the right one for you.

5. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    The only other person I could've taken it to that I'm aware of is Jack Read (www.readcustom.com) because I'm only like 40 minutes from him. But, I know that no one else would've wanted to touch it because it would've voided the warranty, and I really wanted to deal with the store that I bought it from. My main concern was being able to return it and get my money back, which I did.

I wound up just buying another one through Musicians Friend last night. Most of the basses I've bought have been sight un-seen, and for the most part I've wound up ok. Either way, the Cirrus I returned, I played it first and it wasn't until I got home and started to really get into playing it that I noticed the fret issues, so even in getting to play it first, I lost :) The way I figure it is that if this one is a dud too (which I honestly can't see that it would be after all the great things people have to say about Cirri's quality) I can always return it minus what I paid for shipping the first time. I've always been interested in Dingwalls but I would never buy one without trying it because of the fact that I've never seen a fanned fret bass in person let alone played one :)

The only bad thing is that I'm paying $300 more for the bass because the first one I bought was on sale. Oh well, if this bass is ok then it's more than worth it.
  6. form52

Mar 17, 2005
    It takes a while to get used to the fanned frets, but Dingwall's are Amazing basses. I've talked to some people who, now that they are used to it, prefer the fanned fret layout. But I definately see the issue with buying something like that without ever having played one.

Good luck with the 2nd Cirrus. Hopefully the first was just an odd exception.
    But if it turns out to be a bomb too, check into Carvins.
    Outstanding quality and sound, ESPECIALLY considering the "under $1500" prices on them.
    Not to mention the fact that you can have it fully customized to meet your likes and dislikes.
  7. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    It's funny you should mention Carvin because they are one of the basses I was thinking about when I mentioned about buying some basses sight un-seen. Some were ok, but the Carvin was one of the bad ones. It was an LB75 with a Koa Neck & Body. The frets were all unlevel and the neck had some severe bow in it. I never bothered having them exchange the bass because I wasn't thrilled with the tone anyway and because after the negatives I had heard about Carvin, that just re-enforced it.
  8. +1
    Played an afterburner II this weekend at Basss Central. That bass is a beast! Love the tone selector knob on it. Numerous sounds can be had from this bass. I just love that bass.

That being said, my cirrus will be here on friday.
  9. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    What kind did you get? I just got another Redwood. Should be here Wednesday.
  10. jja412

jja412 Fine gear enthusiast

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    Those redwoods are beautiful. I love my Cirrus - it's Maple/alder.
    Hope this one lives up to the Cirrus name for you!!
  11. it doesn't take a while to get used to the fanned frets, 5-10min max.
    The fanning is purely a visual distractiuon, believe me your fingers know where to go.
    The advantages of the fanned fretboard far outweigh the 5mins of unfamiliarity, so don't use that as an excuse why not to try it.
  12. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    I'd love to try one, it was just a matter of the "playing sight un-seen".
  13. Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    I keep my action realy low on my Fender Jazz deluxe MIA and it does me well with a tad of clickwhich is normal when you want crazy low action. So I think there is something else physically wrong with your bass its deffinately not your action.
  14. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    That's what I was trying to tell the tech. If it plays fine on 20 or 21 of the 24 frets, and the problem frets are random, it's not the action.
  15. Got a maple w maple fingerboard
  16. Right your fingers will know what to do when you touch the bass.
  17. Before I read that you just bought another Cirrus from MF, I was going to suggest that you look here at TB first for a used Cirrus, and then order one from MF if you couldn't find anything you liked. True, you do pay top dollar at MF, but you do get a brand new instrument, and that 45 day return policy is hard to beat. :cool:

That tech sounds like someone you'd want to avoid. :spit:

Good luck with the new one.

Tell us how you like it.

Mike ;)
  18. timinator

May 8, 2005
    What a dumbass tech! Hard to believe he's turning work away and trying to stay open too. I had a guy do a bad preamp install and after another much more competent tech fixed it, I never even got an apology from the first one. Haven't missed him either...

Don't expect your search to ever end, but hopefully the Cirrus will comfort you on your sonic journey. They do a whole lot. In your quest for vintage/modern, you may want to try a J-Retro or Aguilar preamp in a good Jazz, but find a good tech first!
  19. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Well I'm happy to report that the new Cirrus showed up safe and sound and plays PERFECTLY. The action is the lowest I've ever played on any bass without any buzz (unless of course I forget I have it lower and play too hard *lol*). It only reinforces my feelings about the tech now that I have lost respect for him. I used to feel like he knew what he was talking about. While he does do good work and probably could have fixed the problem, I still can't get over how he was basically telling me that 1) It's either all in my head and that I'll never be happy with anything 2) The strings were too low (the action is just as low now and I have NONE of the problems I had with the other bass) and that 3) Trying to tell me that the fact that it's a 35" scale bass would make it play differently (well yea, a bit) and that is the reason for the problems.

I'll have to take a picture but I was confused for a second when I pulled the bass out of the case. It looks nothing like the other Cirrus. The top on the other bass had a deeper reddish color with horizontal wide grain. The new Cirrus has a top that is very amber in color with a much tighter vertical grain. Kind of interesting how much they vary. Also, the lining in the old case was reddish purple, and the lining in the new case is green. Does Cirrus put random colors in their case?
  20. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The inside of my Cirrus case is green.