Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What to do...pre/power or Ampeg Svt 4 or 5???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rumzini, May 28, 2004.

1. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    I have a $1000 burning in my pocket. Should I go with SVT 4 for $971 or the 5 for 1050...or a pre/power setup??? I have Avatar 212 and 410 can handle plenty o power and play metal. What's the best route?

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Here is one vote for power/pre.

I let my power/pre rig go too soon. It took some getting used to since all I had before it was a Hartke bass amp. Made me frustrated, and I got rid of it. I wish now I still had it.

-Mike

3. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    Ha! That's what I have now is a Hartke 4000!

4. Either SVT will make you happy Im sure. I just bought a 5Pro for $800 and its the best head Ive ever owned. I'd slightly prefer the 4Pro for the graphic EQ as opposed to the drive channel on the 5, but $800 on a brand new 5 was just too good to pass up.

5. KJAXE

KJAXE Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    FARGO, ND
    I'VE OWNED THE SVT-4PRO FOR JUST A FEW MONTHS NOW AND LOVE IT! I AGREE W/SPANKY THAT I'D UTILIZE THE EQ. RATHER THAN THE DISTORTION CHANNEL. THIS AMP GIVES ME ALL OF WHATEVER I NEED.

6. modflea

modflea

Apr 26, 2004
    Lafayette, LA
    I am pre/power right now because I put my rig together over time. When I realized the SVT was what I wanted, I didn't have the money to get a Pro 4 or 5, so I bought the SVT Pro pre and put it with my Crest amp. However, if I had to start from scratch, I would buy the Pro 4 or 5. I kind of like the idea of everything being under one roof, so to speak.

How in the world are you getting a Pro 4 and 5 for those prices?

7. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    Well...since I started this post I've managed to pick up a QSC RMX 2450 and am using my Hartke 4000 as the poweramp...this way I can always use the power section of the Hartke to power a 4 ohm cab at 400 watts, why would I do this? Cuz I can! So here's where the Ampegs at the good prices are. I found out from one of the guys there that they are gonna stop carrying Ampeg du to a lack of sales. They're gonna go G-K and Berringer!!!!

SVT 4
    http://www.elderly.com/new_instruments/items/SVT4PRO.htm

SVT5
    http://www.elderly.com/new_instruments/items/SVT5PROSW.htm

8. You found out "From one of the guys there..." Where??
    Ampeg?