1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What to do...pre/power or Ampeg Svt 4 or 5???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rumzini, May 28, 2004.

1. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    I have a $1000 burning in my pocket. Should I go with SVT 4 for $971 or the 5 for 1050...or a pre/power setup??? I have Avatar 212 and 410 can handle plenty o power and play metal. What's the best route?

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Here is one vote for power/pre.

I let my power/pre rig go too soon. It took some getting used to since all I had before it was a Hartke bass amp. Made me frustrated, and I got rid of it. I wish now I still had it.

-Mike

3. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    Ha! That's what I have now is a Hartke 4000!

4. Either SVT will make you happy Im sure. I just bought a 5Pro for $800 and its the best head Ive ever owned. I'd slightly prefer the 4Pro for the graphic EQ as opposed to the drive channel on the 5, but $800 on a brand new 5 was just too good to pass up.

5. KJAXE

KJAXE Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    FARGO, ND
    I'VE OWNED THE SVT-4PRO FOR JUST A FEW MONTHS NOW AND LOVE IT! I AGREE W/SPANKY THAT I'D UTILIZE THE EQ. RATHER THAN THE DISTORTION CHANNEL. THIS AMP GIVES ME ALL OF WHATEVER I NEED.

6. modflea

modflea

Apr 26, 2004
    Lafayette, LA
    I am pre/power right now because I put my rig together over time. When I realized the SVT was what I wanted, I didn't have the money to get a Pro 4 or 5, so I bought the SVT Pro pre and put it with my Crest amp. However, if I had to start from scratch, I would buy the Pro 4 or 5. I kind of like the idea of everything being under one roof, so to speak.

How in the world are you getting a Pro 4 and 5 for those prices?

7. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    Well...since I started this post I've managed to pick up a QSC RMX 2450 and am using my Hartke 4000 as the poweramp...this way I can always use the power section of the Hartke to power a 4 ohm cab at 400 watts, why would I do this? Cuz I can! So here's where the Ampegs at the good prices are. I found out from one of the guys there that they are gonna stop carrying Ampeg du to a lack of sales. They're gonna go G-K and Berringer!!!!

SVT 4
    http://www.elderly.com/new_instruments/items/SVT4PRO.htm

SVT5
    http://www.elderly.com/new_instruments/items/SVT5PROSW.htm

8. You found out "From one of the guys there..." Where??
    Ampeg?