What to do??? Speaker Cab Roulette

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bill7122, Jun 11, 2005.

1. bill7122

Feb 23, 2003
    Albany NY area
    OK, here's the deal. I have a CE 1000 Crown and a BBE preamp. I'm Playing a Lakland 55-02 deluxe for the most part.

I have an AMPEG svt 8x10 that really is very good with most of my freqs, but the lower end is mushy. Really punch highs and mids, but not the same tone. I played with a Yorkville XM200 combo 220 watts 1 15" and a horn. It defines the low end very well but not the highs.

I'm thinking trading the SVT for either a 4X10 HLF ampeg, or a 2x10 cab and a 1x15. Suggestions?????????? :ninja:
  2. if you are trying another ampeg cab, but are finding the 810 is too mushy, try the 6x10 or 4x10, but make sure to try the ones that are ported, im sure they have a better low end response
  3. John Coxtosen

John Coxtosen Music Geek/Bass Nerd

May 25, 2005
    Duluth, MN
    I own both cabs mentioned and I find that the ported HLF actually has a looser low end than the completely sealed big boy. But we might be looking for different things. I would just try as many as you can.
  4. TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    9 times out of 10, when your unhappy with an aspect of a cabinets sound, your not going to find an improvement in the same line of cabinets.... and in some cases, the same brand. I'd venture to other brands, to be honest.
  5. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    +1 - I agree. Maybe look into a Bi-amp rig a 15 and a 4x10 or 2x10"...this way you can have control over how much of which frequencies through which cabinet. good luck!
  6. +1 again. I had a 610hlf and really liked it, but I realized how much that cabinet was lacking in punch, depth, and clarity when I tried an Aguilar GS212 (which I later bought). I'm not a "modern tone" kind of guy, but it's nice to be able to hear what you're playing. The 12's are much deeper and articulate. Long story short, "really punchy" is all relative to what you have. I was pretty happy with the 610hlf (minus the low end mushiness) until I tried something that's IMO a good deal better.
  7. NOLA Bass

NOLA Bass Mr. Worst Case Scenario Man Gold Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2005
    New Orleans LA
    I can personally reccomend Bergantino, and the mega thread on Schroeder certainly speaks volumes for them. I ditched my Ampeg 4-10" b/c it did not cut through for me at all and the horn was unusable imo.