Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What to do to my Deluxe Jazz?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by AndrewClaycomb, Oct 6, 2005.

1. I have a stock active jazz with stock noiseless pickups. I'm trying to think of some good mods, but I'm not sure what's available and what sounds good. Also my current internals are a little unstable. Every now and then they'll cut out... but not consistently. Basically I'm going for a thick sound. Are there any drop in preamps that would work? Also which pickups would be the best for direct replacement? I also really don't want to have to route anything out, just drop in type of stuff.

2. If you're just looking to mess with it then you might want to start by fixing the dodgy internals, and maybe shielding it and fixing up the grounding.

3. maurilio

maurilio Musician - Owner at Mo's Shop - Tech at Nordstrand Supporting Member

May 25, 2003
    Studio City+Redlands, CA
    Endorsing artist: Nordstrand - Genzler Amplification - Sadowsky - Dunlops Strings - DR Strings
    Hi,
    I don't know if your bass is 4 or 5 strings, but in any case, Nordstrand pups!
    I can't stop talking about these pups, they're great!
    Try to change only the pups and then, if you think you don't like the pre with the new pups, change it with a Aguilar or a Sadowsky (personally Nordie and Sad = :hyper: ).
    But it's just me!

Have fun

Mo'

4. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Yeah, the J-Retro and U-Retro are both reputed to be very good: http://www.east-uk.com/

MM

5. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Fix the existing problem(s), set it up to your liking and find strings you like on it. After that, you probably won't need a preamp or pickups...

unless you're trying to make it not sound like a Jazz.

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I agree with Brad. Modding just to do it never works out. Modding should be done only to fix a specific problem, not because you hear of other people doing it.

7. RHFusillo

RHFusillo Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2000
    Phoenix, AZ
    If you decide to change the preamp (and I do not think that you necessarily should), the J-Retro Deluxe is a great drop-in replacement. It provides a 3-band preamp with a midrange frequency control and a passive treble rolloff.

But, if I were you, I would live with the bass for a while before making mods. Also, keep the original parts so you can restore the bass to its original state should you decide to sell it.

8. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    Isn't that the truth! I spent a lot of money modifying my deluxe Jazz only to go back to the original parts after playing it for awhile.