Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What To Do w/Ashdown Combo Parts?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by cmhgreg, Oct 26, 2004.

1. cmhgreg

cmhgreg

Oct 26, 2004
    Columbus, OH
    Frequent lurker, first time poster. This is a great forum by the way. I apologize for the length of the post. I'll try to be as brief as possible.

I have been playing for about a year, and improving steadily. I recently decided that my current combo -- SWR Workingman's 12 -- is slightly underpowered for my needs. I'm not real crazy with the tone either. So I decided to take a step up and put together a rig that was slightly more powerful (I don't gig and have no need for a lot of juice right now), more versatile and the best bang for the buck.

To make a long story somewhat shorter I just purchased the following parts from some Ashdown MAG combos that a music store was selling on eBay. The combos had suffered cosmetic damage from shipping, so the music store pulled out the heads and the Blue Line speakers, which are all in "like new" condition and put them up for auction. Here is what I bought:

1) a head from MAG C115T combo; this is essentially a MAG 300 head, but without a shell or casing;

2) four (4) 10" Blue Line speakers;

3) one (1) 15" Blue Line speaker.

First off, I don't know what the individual ohm ratings of the 10 inch speakers are, but collectively they were at 8 ohms in a 4x10. If anybody has information on how these MaG 4x10's are wired I would appreciate it.

Assuming I can either mate them in pairs or as a 4x10, how would you configure all this stuff? A 2x10 combo (might be easier since the head came from a combo) at 8 ohms with 2x10 and 1x15 extensions each at 8 ohms? I think I will only need a 2x10 for the forseeable future, but if I need more power then I can hook up either the 2x10 or 1x15 extension. I understand I won't be able to hook all three cabs up at the same time in this configuration, but I honestly don't see needing to any time soon.

Anybody have any ideas on a housing for the head if I decide to keep it separate? Thanks for your ideas.

2. The Mag 300 heads ( combo same i guess ) is minimum 4 ohm load. You could do this wire the two pairs of 10's in parallel and then series the two pairs to give total 8 ohms.

Parallel means + to + and - to -

Series means + to - and so on.

Im sure Ashdown use 8 Ohm speakers so the 15" will be 8 ohms and so will the 4 x 10's but you need to make the 10's into a total of 8 ohms by wiring as above.

Then you can connect either one cab or both to the head.

The mag series cabs are chipboard built so it would be real easy and cheap to make up some new cabs, copy the sizes from the Ashdown spec and off you go.

3. Bigwan

Bigwan

Feb 22, 2002
    Ballymena (hey)
    There's a wee bit more to cabs than that I'm afraid - you'd be best mailing Ashdown direct and asking them for the theile small parameters of the 10" and 15" blueline drivers in question. From those you can work out the optimum cab volume and tuning... do a search here to find out how.

Also - you'd be best investing in good quality 3/4" plywood for the cabs... some people will tell you to use MDF (don't use chipboard 'cos it's is crap!), but it is quite heavy. If it were me I'd be tempted to try 1/2" plywood for the carcass and 3/4" MDF for the speaker baffle and brace the life out of the cab to keep the weight down a bit but keep it stiff too...

4. cmhgreg

cmhgreg

Oct 26, 2004
    Columbus, OH
    Thanks for the info guys. All the speakers are 8 ohms per an email from Ashdown I just received.

I think I will definitely use the 15 to make an 8 ohm extension. The big question for me is do I use the 10's or not. Do either or both of you have an opinion as to the sound quality of the Blue Line 10's? I think I am going to go the 2x10 combo route (8 ohms) and then have the 15 cab to hook up when I want to go bigger and deeper. It has been suggested to me that I resell the 10's and put some better speakers in the 2x10 combo. I got the 10's for $50 a pair, so I can probably resell them and if not, it's not a huge loss.

If I do use the Blue Lines in the 2x10 combo, I will need to run them in series. I assume that is possible.

5. Bigwan

Bigwan

Feb 22, 2002
    Ballymena (hey)
    Don't really know enough about the blueline series of speakers... I know they're better than the celestions that Ashdown used previously though...

If the 10" drivers are 8 ohm then you won't be getting the full output of the amp if you wire them in series in the combo (as they'll total 16 ohms then)... this will allow you to use the 15" as an extension cabs though.

You could wire the 10" drivers in parallel but that would mean a 4 ohm load so you couldn't add the 15" as an extension (minimum load of 4 ohms for an Ashdown).

I'd go with a 4x10, or sell the drivers and buy 2 16ohms drivers and run them in parallel (or 2 4ohm drivers in series would work too)...

6. cmhgreg

cmhgreg

Oct 26, 2004
    Columbus, OH
    You're right. Two 10's in series would be 16 ohms. That's no good. I'm not crazy about lugging around a 4x10 combo, so it looks like I'm SOL on the Blue Line 10's (at least in terms of using them in a 2x10 combo). Maybe I'll hang on to them and build a 4x10 cab with them if I don't sell them. Thanks again.

7. I really like the sound of the blue line drivers! The MAG cabs to my ears sound great, i think the main reason they are cheaper than the ABM cabs is cos' they use chipboard and felt. this to me is better though.. keeps the weight down!

why not head down to a store and have a listen to the 4*10 and the 1*15 mag cabs see what you think.

What I'd do is keep then as three seperates... a head (possible go in a rack case... i dunno but maybe the head can be modified to have rack case ears...) a 4*10 and a 1*15 cab per the ashdown sizes.

You could even make the 1*15 a full size version... ashdown make their MAG 15's the same size as their 2*10's i think because they assume it'll be for non pro's so transportability is an issue!

Maybe you could save yourself some time and just buy ready made cabs i think avatar will sell you the cabs without the speakers but i dunno how cost lines up with the effort of making a cab from scratch!

8. cmhgreg

cmhgreg

Oct 26, 2004
    Columbus, OH
    matt_dutyfree:

Unfortunately, I can't find any local place that has any Ashdowns for me to hear. I've heard other Ashdown gear, and liked it, but nothing from the MAG series. I am not afraid to give the speakers a try though. The problem is I was hoping to build a 2x10 8 ohm combo. That isn't going to be possible.

I have found some ready made cabs that seem to be well constructed and very close to the same size as the Ashdown MAG cabs with very similar venting as well. They are 3/4" maple and braced. They look to be even better quality and better built than the MAG cabs.

I could do exactly as you say: put the 10's in a 4x10, do a 1x15 and find something to put the head in. But I just don't know how much I want to be hauling a 4x10 across town to my buddies' house twice a week for jams and recording sessions in his basement. I don't even need a 4x10 for that. I don't even like hauling my Workingman's 12 over there. That's why I was hoping to put the Blue Line 10's in a 2x10. Lighter and more portable and plenty of sound for what I'm doing at the moment, with the ability to add the 1x15 or another 2x10 when needed.

I have thought about the Avatar cabs, but they are dimensionally not close to the MAG cabs. I am considering some cabs from Dr. Bass as well. I am also looking into the cost of some custom cabs, but I will probably be turned off by the price. Dr. Bass will put the head in a 8 ohm combo cabinet for me and load with some Eminence 10's. I could mate that with the 1x15, keep the 10's and put together a 4x10 on a rainy day. I don't know. I'm kind of stumped right now.

9. Bigwan

Bigwan

Feb 22, 2002
    Ballymena (hey)
    Now I come to think about it, it should be possible to do all of the above - if you were to build a combo with 2 of the 10" drivers in parallel (ie 4 ohms load), you should be able to add some sort of switching arrangement (to switch the drivers from parallel to series) that would allow you to add another 2x10 and the 1x15 and still have a 4ohm load... It would mean you'd only have to transport the combo to your practise sessions and run 300watts into the 4 ohm 2x10 cab. The only danger would be if you ever forgot to switch the speakers into series and added the extension cabs (approx. 2.3 ohm load) - you'd end up with a toasted head!

10. that's a great idea... I'd be really tempted to do that!

what i do right now is i have a 1*15 mag cab that i use for practice (same size as a 2*10 arrangement neways) and I plan to have a 4*10 when I can afford one. Right now i borrow a 2*10 for gigs. But bigwan's idea would work fine i think.

11. cmhgreg

cmhgreg

Oct 26, 2004
    Columbus, OH
    I've thought about that too. The only way I can think to do that is to have the speakers wired both ways (parallel and series) and then be able to switch back and forth. I don't know if that can even be done, but if it can I'm not sure I like it anyway. It would only take one idiot (perhaps that idiot would be me) to set the switch wrong or forget to adjust it and it would be all over.

I'm going to keep the head separate. I'm also going to email Ashdown and see if they will sell me two 10 inch 16 ohm speakers. If not, I am going to have them suggest something comparable. Then I will build matching cabs all at 8 ohms: a 1x15, a 2x10 and a 4x10 (maybe down the road). That might be overkill, but I got a good enough deal on this stuff to justify it I suppose. Thanks for your help mates.

12. Bigwan

Bigwan

Feb 22, 2002
    Ballymena (hey)
    That would always be the risk... the multy cab route is probably the safest bet if you have the room!

Cheers

Ian