1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What to do?? What head would you go with???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 513rocks.com, Apr 15, 2018 at 4:04 PM.

Tags:
  1. Ashdown AMB500 EVOII

10 vote(s)
    14.1%
  2. Fender Baseman 500

31 vote(s)
    43.7%
  3. Something different

30 vote(s)
    42.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. 513rocks.com

513rocks.com

Sep 22, 2004
    Mason, Ohio
    Webp.net-resizeimage.
    I have an Ashown ABM500 EVOII, a Fender bassman 500 and a Fender Rumble 410.
    I just got the bassman. I love a little something about each amp. The Ashdown is a little modern sounding and the eq is a little touchy. The fender is awesome but its hard to eq it right. Kinda a muddy tone. I play a Sadowsky UV70 and USA Fender botvwith flats and the fender seems muddy with flats. What one you think I should go with???

Attached Files:

2. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Mesa Subway.

ObsessiveArcher, murphy, 40Hz and 8 others like this.
  3. I went with the Bassman as it checks all the boxes for me operationally, and it looks right with the cab.

Try getting your cab up off the ground and see if that helps the the Bassman any.
    I'd say raise it up at least as much as it would be if there was another of the same cab underneath it (hint hint).;)
    Or tilt it back.
    The idea is to get it pointed closer to where your good ears are.
    The ones in your knees don't work very well. :roflmao:

My issue with Ashdown is that they put meters on stuff. It seems gimmicky to me.

Aqualung60 likes this.
  4. 513rocks.com

513rocks.com

Sep 22, 2004
    Mason, Ohio
    How do you set the amp? The settings seem so touchy to me.

5. keto

keto Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2016
    Edmonton
    Or get a cheap hpf, and dial it to 40-50Hz to get rid of most if not all of the mud. I found the same when I had my SuperBassman 300, tough to EQ just so in certain situations, easy to have overpowering sub lows.

12BitSlab and MattZilla like this.
  6. I don't understand "touchy."
    Too much change for little movement?
    Or you can't find the sound you like?

7. 513rocks.com

513rocks.com

Sep 22, 2004
    Mason, Ohio
    I'm just try in to make it less thick. Movin any eq knob a little can totally change the tone. I'm havin a hard time with my sadowsky.

8. 513rocks.com

513rocks.com

Sep 22, 2004
    Mason, Ohio
    Didn't like it at all. I played V4B and the bassman back to back and I thought the fender smoked the ampeg. But I haven't like ampeg stuff since the stuff they came out with in the late 80s early 90s

oldskoolskatedad likes this.
  9. oldskoolskatedad

oldskoolskatedad Supporting Member

May 18, 2014
    I would stick with Bassman but I'm more than a little smitten with the line. I have a SB300, 100T and a pair of 410Neo cabs and never had more fun getting any tone I was after. Just to check the obvious, do you have the horn on your cab turned on? I turn the horns on my cabs all the way off and have flats on my basses as well and have no problem with keeping the mud out. Check out the SB300 and 100T threads for lots of info on eq settings

Aqualung60 and 513rocks.com like this.
  10. joel406

joel406

Dec 27, 2013
    Florida
    IMG_0073.

No "mud" here.

gregmon79 likes this.
  11. 513rocks.com

513rocks.com

Sep 22, 2004
    Mason, Ohio
    I've been in my practice place all day playing these two amps. Both are great. I've spent a lot of time mess in with the Bassman and it is a keeper. Gonna take a little time to get used to it. I'm figuring out the eq more and more. Its a little tricky. But I'm figuring it out. I think the problem was I read a bunch of posts about settings and was go in with their suggestions. With this amp you can't really look at the numbers on the knob. You gotta actually have to listen with your ears and dial it in. The pbass with flats sounds like it was made for this amp no doubt. I always turn the horn off when I use a 4x10 as a stand alone. In really impressed with the rumble 410. Nice warm tone for sure. I'm not sure if I'm gonna get another one for bigger gigs or maybe a rumble 114. Wish I could afford the bassman neo 610. But yeah the bassman stuff is pretty badass.

rodl2005 and oldskoolskatedad like this.
  12. oldskoolskatedad

May 18, 2014
    Bassman + pbass/flats = bass nirvana

20180308_154802.

13. oldskoolskatedad

May 18, 2014
    And a Ric doesn't sound too bad either

20180307_161401.

513rocks.com, gregmon79 and pudgychef like this.
  14. Element Zero

Element Zero Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    Mesa Subway

Liam Wald likes this.
  15. pudgychef

pudgychef Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2005
    Chongqing, China
    Nice rig and MF bass too! I bet that sounds great.

gregmon79 and oldskoolskatedad like this.
  16. mikewalker

mikewalker Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Canada, Eh!
    Spirit of Ox and gregmon79 like this.
  17. SLO Surfer

SLO Surfer Supporting Member

Jun 3, 2009
    Morro Bay, CA
    Have you heard about how the Fender "tone stack" works? Not sure if this is how your specific amp works, but I think a "flat" tone setting is something like 0 - 10 - 0 in regards to bass, mids, and treble knobs. Something like the bass and treble knobs boost frequencies, but the mids knob cuts them. Check it out. I don't really know what I'm talking about or if it applies to your amp, but I've read it around here a few times.

murphy and rodl2005 like this.
  18. ficelles

ficelles

Feb 28, 2010
    Devon, England
    If you put an Ashdown head on a Fender cab the style police will quite rightly arrest you for having a visually uncoordinated rig.

19. Bodeeni

Bodeeni Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2010
    NYC
    I don't use them but I love the classic look of the Fender head and cab

20. That's on the VINTAGE channel. The MODERN or OVERDRIVE channel is same as Ampegs etc. With sweepable mids.
    You're right... just use your ears. Don't forget the 2 pull switches - pull deep and pull bright. These help if added lows or highs are needed.