What to do, what to do.......

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by chris4001asat, Apr 23, 2003.

1. chris4001asat

Dec 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    Warehouse Manager : Reverend Guitars
    So I've been playing for almost 20 years, and never got to be in "the" big band in the area. The two bands that almost made it seemed to fall apart a month after I joined them. I joined a new band last september. Great guitar player, drummers ok, decent keyboard player. All great guys, became friends fast... We've played about 10 gigs and I realize that it's really not going to go anywhere. There's just no "energy " onstage, but it's fun. Last week, a former drummer calls me up and tells me his bands bass player just walked out, and asked if I want to stop out this week. SO I go out, not expecting much, and it just totally floored me. Gtr, bass, drums, keyboards, and a horn section! Kinda funky R & B ish. All great musicians. Just rocked hard big time!The singer tells me all the gigs he has "lined up" as soon as they're ready to play out. But I felt no "friendship" with any of the guys. So what now?! DO I try and juggle 2 bands? Give the first band a little more time? Or just go with the second band?:confused:
  2. Do both until it becomes impractical. By then the path may be more obvious. BTW, a band does not need to be hard and fast friends in order to be good. I you consider that now is already the impractical stage, go with your gut feeling. FWIW, I would go for the horn band, simply because if you intend to grow as a bassist, you need to be with great musos.
  3. I have three high school bands, which probably isn't the same thing, but I have to really devote my time to each one. by that, i mean that i have all my life scheduled to do stuff - eg Tuesday nights I have two lots of rehearsals on, so i do each for a half an hour, then go home and do my homework. Sometimes I have to do my homework at school, if i don't have the time (or energy) to do it after band practice.

Bottom line is: do both of them until you're tearing your hair out and wanting to be hit by peak-hour traffic. If you're getting the oppotunity to play; by all means do it.