Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What to do, what to do?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by incognito89x, May 28, 2003.

1. incognito89x

incognito89x ♪♫♪ ♪ ♪ ♫&#983

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    I thought about putting this in basses, but I think it may be more approiate here.

I have a bit of a problem making up my mind here.

I just recently sold my combo, to put some cash towards a head/cab system. The combo just wasn't producing the sound I wanted, and I've wanted a head/cab for some time now. I bought an Avatar 4X10 with the money from the combo I sold, and am currently in the process of aquiring an amp to power my new cab.

Here's my dilemma.

As of right now, I'm still a good 2 or 3 weeks away from being able to afford a head (Pretty much decided on an Ampeg B2R). I only take in about $150 a week or so (though i've worked more hours last week and this coming week) so that'll help a bit. I owe 200 for a roller hockey team I'm on, and I have about 200 in the bank right now, so Thursday I'll have my fresh start and have no payments to worry about.

Currently my bass is a Warwick Corvette. I've been thinking about selling it to get a Thumb bass (I probably should've waited to get that in the first place, but I got a pretty good deal and jumped on it. A good lesson anyway, the bass has served me well so far).

Enough babble... the dilemma.

1: Sell the Warwick... hopefully get around 700 or so (I figure on ebay a Vette 5 goes for around 700 average or so) I can buy an Ampeg B2R with some of the money (hopefully 300-350 for the amp) and buy an Essex bass or something to tide me over until I could afford a Thumb.

2: Save up money for now, get a head in a month or so, then worry about changing basses later on. After getting things set up with the amps, save up some money and sell the Corvette, and get a Thumb.

I'm kind of torn about what to do. I've wanted to get a Thumb for a while, and it would definately be my main bass. I also want to expand my basses with one of the Essex basses. I love the Warwick sound, but who can live without a classic J bass? :D

I think i'm rambling... I'm just going to hit the post message button and forget about this thread now :p

2. odie

odie Supporting Member

I would save up for the head. Thumbs are a mixed bag. I hate the neck dive. Your happy with the one you have now. Chalk up the thumb idea as G.A.S.

Look at the used market for head and save save SAVE!!