What to do when a guitarist has more bass coming out of his amp than you?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by addylewis, Feb 17, 2006.

1. It happens ALL the time in my band and I'm getting sick of it!

300-watt 1x15 bass combo on full blast with bass on FULL

really should COMPETE

with a 450-watt Marshall 2x12 stack on half volume with scoop buttons activated!

shouldn't it...?

EVEN with the bottom 4 bands of the graphic boosted full I'm STILL overpowered by the BASS from the guitar! No drop-tunings or anything, but the sound IS verging on almost "metal"...

...trying to overpower/get on the same level as him is the BEST option! I nearly walked the other night when he told me my distortion was "hilarious"...the &$&*£*! GIT!
  2. Wesley R

Wesley R Supporting Member

alway be able to get more volume (or maybe percieved volume) easier and cheaper than bass players and they don't have to be as clean!

Not a fun sittuation for you, I am glad that stage of my life is in the distant past.

The compete thing is a cause for concern in a more glbal view of the band as a cooperative effort.

IMO: While a good solid 350 watts RMS with a very efficiant 15" speaker would work well for many sittuations, it may not(probably won't) cut it against a 450w gui**** maniac!

Do you have enough spare coin to rent a 'RIG OF DOOM" and blast the guitar puke around the room for a while?

Best of Luck,
    Wesley R.
  3. villakid 93

villakid 93 Guest

Dec 27, 2005
    Swayfield, Grantham
    What you do is ROCK ON BABY or just quit the band
  4. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    get Schroeders, and don't just get even, bury the enemy :D
  5. kirin

Jan 11, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    I'm in the same situation with some guys I'm playing with now. Two guitarists that like to scoop ALL of their mids out. At least neither of them are rude about it - despite them insisting that's the tone they have to have. I find myself fiddling with my EQ and gain all night in an effort to hear myself. Then I just start playing harder and harder (not healthy I'm sure).

Gear wise the only conclusion I've come to is that passive basses seem too cut the low mids better (<3 my reverend). I keep my EQ flat, boost the highs a hair, and use a parametric to boost low mids just a bit. I let the pre-gain do most of the work and just ROCK ON.
  6. That may work for you...but I'm talking about both the gain AND volume knobs being at the point where they phisically cannot move any more in the clockwise direction! ...same with the low-end EQ...

It's got pretty bad...I can stop playing and NOT TELL...even when I'm standing in front of the amp on full blast!

He uses a 2x12 HH cab from the 70's...anyone know about them? - I'm SURE its a bass cab...it's part of a combo but he's taken out the actual "head" section, so...

I could just buy a 300watt 1x18" cab to scare him a bit...the problem is half the time he's my transport for gigs and stuff, and at the last gig he couldn't see out of his back window (actually no...he couldn't see THE WINDOW) for gear...

I remember once we did a gig and I was using my backup rig (a vox 125 and 1x12 p.a. speaker) and he used his Marshall, HH cab, another 250-watt HH amp and another 2 HH 2x12's! (my GOD!) he wouldn't let me use his second rig coz it was "for guitar, not bass - the speakers wouldn't handle it" now...thats taking the piss a bit isn't it? Since when have GUITAR cabs had the logo sideways on the front? - they were BLOODY P.A. CABS!

Sometimes I think about buying a power amp like some of the guys on here do so I can get around that problem...but we'd only end up using it for the whole band (for reasons I've already stated about the singers rear end and him thinking the sun lives there)

Quitting the band DOES sound quite tempting sometimes come to think of it...!!!
  7. txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    Ask the band if they think they really need a bass player, since the guitarist seems to enjoy doing both jobs. That should get their attention. And if they cave to *him*...split. Leave them flapping in the breeze.

8. ...theres only 3 of us including the said guitarist...
  9. ...how do you reckon an OCTAVE pedal would fare???
  10. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Leave your amp turned off at the next practice. If they ask "why?" just thell them that it's pointless for you to play, so you thought you'd at least save the wear and tear on your gear.

Honestly, it sounds like your guitar player is an idiot. I don't think you can win.
  11. Well, personally, as a huge metal fan (I'm in a metal band,) I pretty much hate it when people scoop the mids... it sounds bad, and is only good sounding when the guitarist is playing by himself (if makes a full sound) He prob. dosent realize it, but guitarists actually have a pretty "thin" tone when playing on an album (have him talk to any producer about scooped mids on an album, and he'll be shot) Try explaining it to him just to push his mids, and roll off the bass a bit, and he can keep his existing volume. If that doesn't work, I suggest showing up really tanked to practice, and in a drunken fit, knock over his sh-t and dump the remainder of you beer all over his amp in the process.
  12. I'd rather not...he's using my fake Rickenbacker, and still hasn't given me the money for it in the 3 years he's had the bloody thing...

...I like the idea of not playing and seeing if anyone notices though - or I could just change his settings myself right before we go onstage when he's not looking and see what happens. Next time he tells me that my distortion is hilarious I'll just say something like "what? oh, must've stood on it by accident - I didn't notice that all the low-end and fundamentals suddenly dissapeared from my instrument!" - you reckon thats worth a shot?
  13. excane

excane Banned

Aug 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    I agree with most of the above posts. Leave your amp turned off and see if they even notice. My guitar player is very similar, wants to be yngwie, steve vai, blah blah blah.
    We've all been there and I suggest getting some serious wattage and better cabinets behind you. A single 15" ain't gonna cut it with a guitarist with that much juice.

For the first time in a LONG time, my guitarist told me to turn down a few weeks back. He had his usual half stack cranked but I lugged my mesa boogie 6x10 cabinet and ampeg SVT4-pro to rehearsal. This gave him some bass right in the gut, it was a glorius thing. Not only could I hear myself so crystal clear, my guitarist couldn't even hear HIS amp standing right in front of it. payback.

On the other hand I also agree that it seems like they don't understand the role of the bass and don't even care if you're heard and maybe you should tell them to turn down or think about quitting the band.
  14. Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Seriously, a single 15" is not going to cut it...no matter how many watts you throw at it.

What you NEED, is more speakers. Try an 810 cab, or a 412...and maybe use a cheap power amp with more watts and use your head as the preamp.

I had a cheap Peavey 412 cab along with a bridged CS-800X (the newer, two rack space) power amp, and a pre-amp.

Hell, not only could I compete with your guitarist...if he even thought about cranking on me, I'd give him a bowel movement that would make him re-think his volume issues. :spit: :D
  15. I decided a while ago that one day I'm gonna get that Kustom Groove thing...thats about ALL that'll lay him to rest! I was thinking about the 4x10 cab version, but the 2x15 sounds to me like it'll be a better option, what you think?
  16. I played with a guitar player like that.

Tell him to turn down the low end on his amp. ITs the only solution. Even if you get enough power/speaker to compete, you will be slightly out of tune (you're playing with a guitar player, after all). You know that wa-wa-wa-wa sound you get tuning up when you're not quite in tune? Thats' what you 'll get if you manage to get loud enough to compete with him. That's why bands don't use 2 bass players. Because of that, you're better off at this point not being heard, actually.

You have to take him out of that freq range. Period. It's appropriate when he's playing by himself. Not with a bass player.

And you need way more power than the guitarist to compete with him. 450 watts on his part is stupid, way more than he needs. Its impossible to get that amp to distort property at a volume that won't peel paint off the walls.

17. Well said Randy.

The "bottom end" is YOUR territory, not the guitarist's. Were this not the case, there would be no particular point in having a bass in the band line-up.:eyebrow: :eyebrow:

Tell your guitarist to shape up or ship out. You shouldn't need to be spending your time trying to work out how you can hear yourself.:rollno: :rollno: :rollno: :rollno:

18. Started wearing earplugs recently! :cool:

He never has it on full blast though...usually only about half way/a third volume he COULD get out of it...and a 300-watt bass amp isn't about the same as, say 150 watts? - I may just turn up all the mids on my amp so I'll at least sit into the mix better...then if he tells me it sounds bollocks, I'll just tell him i'm making up for something he's not got any of...:D
  19. Yeah, that's another thing, if you can't be heard with that amp at practice, you're practicing way too loud. Earplugs are necessary at that point, so you don't damage your hearing.

People are supposed to play at a volume that lets them hear everyone else. Most people tend to play at a volume that lets them hear mainly or only themselves.

You can spot them when they play along with the jukebox. Their meter is bad, and they play so loud they can't hear the jukebox. Result: Almost immediately they drift off tempo with the jukebox, they get lost, finally stop to find the jukebox is at a different part of the song than they were, and they had no idea.

20. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Yeah, I have a word for people like that. I call them "idiots."