Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What to do when the store doesn't call back?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by tplyons, Apr 30, 2004.

1. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Two months ago I entered a local music shoppe looking for Clarinet reeds, and walked out signing up for double bass lessons. He said he didn't have a teacher then, so he'd call in about a week with details. A week went by...nothing. I called him after another day or so, and he still hadn't gotten ahold of the teacher. He says to wait a week or so.

A week later, haven't heard. Manager was giving lessons, so I left my number, not to be called back. A week later, same thing. And finally, he says he got something, but I'd become busy with the Saturday mornings as planned, so we'd try Monday afternoons. Tried setting up lessons with some other guitar students this time to make the teacher's 45 minute trip worth while. Still haven't heard back. Then I ask for the teacher's name, contact him directly, and he's never heard of the music shoppe that I speak of... now I'm really getting creeped out. I've had too many phone calls not returned, but the people are so nice and knowledgable.

I don't want to have to take my upright bass on the highway in the back of an El Camino to take lessons, and this shoppe has reasonable rates for lessons, and is only 5 minutes away from my house by quality back roads. I'm worried about the abuse my bass will take from travelling like this, so I'd like to stay local as the next nearest studio is 25 minutes away, and the roads are crap from here to there.

Teachers in northern NJ are either too busy, or too far away and must charge a reasonable sum to make the commute to me worth while. What do I do?

I'm going to visit the music shoppe tomorrow, as it's been two months since I initially signed up for lessons and give them a piece of my mind. What should I do after that?

2. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Spit on their cars.

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    It's an option but the owners are a really nice couple. I'm dying to take music lessons, but apparently they're not so ready. They just opened up a couple months ago, going on a year I believe.

4. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    You seemed to have missed the point of my snide reply.

5. Gary C

Gary C

Mar 16, 2004
    Canton Oh
    Not much you can do if they don't have a teacher...rather than hound the shop keepers to get a teacher...I think you should find a good teacher and go to where he is located...

6. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Good news, they finally called me back. We're this close >< to getting me some lessons!