1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What to do when you dont want a heavy relic anymore? See inside

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ibanezcollector, Aug 26, 2007.

1. ibanezcollector

ibanezcollector Yoyo's Hurt When You Crank It Into Your Face

Feb 18, 2007
    Cleveland Ohio
    some of you might remember this bass, it was the sunburst SX LTD I did a heavy relic on. Well I decided I didnt want that look anymore..

So I got cracking, and completely sanded it down to bare wood, applied a couple coats of honey stain, and then put a satin top coat on it..

Now she still has the reliced look but just in a different way.. :)

Before
    [​IMG]

After
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    Very nice!

3. Very nice job. Did you use any type of paint remover first?

4. ibanezcollector

Feb 18, 2007
    Cleveland Ohio
    nope did it the old fashioned way,

heat to take the paint and sealer off. then sanded with 80, 100, 150, 200 grit paper.

two coats of honey stain from miniwax, and finished with 2 coats of miniwax satin clear.

I didnt want a heavy clear on it again, I even debated not using clear at all. But I put it on thin enough it would wear naturally rather quickly.

5. ProfGumby

ProfGumby

Jan 15, 2007
    Michigan's U.P.
    Holy Cow!!!

It looked awesome when you got it, awesome as a relic, and really awesome now!

Kudos!

6. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Wow. You do some damn fine work!!

7. Chandler Bing

Chandler Bing

May 16, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    That's some fine work! What a beaut!:hyper:

8. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    I am a sucker for natural finish basses.......that looks nice...alot of work IMHO but sweet.....

I guess the only challenge is to make sure you have nice grain....most low end basses and/or painted basses do not have "nicer" grain......that is not bad...Nice wood grains....too bad they do not match a little better (not a "major complaint"...only an observation).....

the benefit to doing it your way is that you get the EXACT color you want!!!

Overall....sweeeeeeeeet!:)

9. Cool, I a have a Black Squire P bass that I want to do it to. What did you use as your heat source? I am thinking that a heat gun may burn it.

10. ibanezcollector

Feb 18, 2007
    Cleveland Ohio
    industrial stength heat gun. :)

got to be careful, heat doesnt need to be right up on it thats the first amatuer mistake. I hold it at least 8-10 inches away.

second mistake is holding it there to long. Thats whats going to leave burn marks.

hope that helps. :)

11. Standalone

Standalone

Jan 17, 2005
    New Haven
    i.c., you're nuts! I should get my sx to you to give you something to keep yourself busy with! :) btw, when is the stack knob SX coming out...? ;)

12. Great work, on all counts!

13. Great, I got one of those guns. thanks for the tip !

14. Soma666

Soma666

Aug 27, 2006
    ur a madman, some peple have too much time on their hands aye...? haha, looks awesome tho...