What to do... which to choose...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Frank Martin, Sep 3, 2004.

What to do/which to get?

Poll closed Sep 8, 2004.
  1. Get GK MB150S and a decent cab for the rig

3 vote(s)
  2. Get Cube 60 and a decent cab for the rig

0 vote(s)
  3. Get Schroeder 1210 and forget about mini-combos

7 vote(s)
  4. Get something else

0 vote(s)
  5. Go and get a carrot

4 vote(s)
  1. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Now, here's the big situation.
    I'm getting rid of my old rig: GK Backline 250 + a 115 cab, (just sold the cab) and expanding the new one: Ampeg SVP-BSP, Crown XLS 402II, but dont yet have a cab for it yet, and just when I'm getting some money this happens: GK MB 150s start popping up on eBay.de... There still are two up, one is €200 and the other is €299 (that was the starting price, only 1 bid on it), and a few others sold recently, for diminishing amounts of money.
    Now, they are quite expensive here - over $1500 new, and you cant find them used. All DBists stick to their ones, and dont sell it, but I know there are some here. Its 100Ws, with a 12", yet only 11kgs and monster tone. Would go very well with my acoustic gigs. Would also have good resale value with DBists.
    There's also a Roland Cube 60 (yep, 60, not 30 or 100, and couldnt find much info on it, too) that looks like it will go for cheap.

BUT: I'm right now getting into a band, and I dont have a cab now...
    I have been eyeing those Schroeders, especially the 1210, but getting one here is not easy, and certainly not cheap, and would eat up all the money I have left. Also, its resale value, due to the fact that really few know Jörg outside TB, would be quite low, if it turns out that it isnt for me...
    OR: get a good/decent used cab somewhere here? I know of a Warwick 410 (with Eminences) that I could talk down to $450-500... There are some more around, as well, but this is one I remember right now. The prices are around this or a bit more expensive.

So my options:
    - Get MB150S and a decent cab for my rig
    - Get Cube 60 and a decent cab for my rig
    - Get Schroeder 1210 and forget about mini combos
    - Get other cab
    - Go and get some carrots ;)

2. I really don't think you'd have any trouble unloading the 1210 if you had any misgivings about it. Seems everybody here is salivating over one and are chomping at the bit to jump on a used one.

If you already have the pre/power amp...I wasn't clear on your post...then I suggest getting just a cabinet. IMO, the MK 150 won't be enough for a band situation, and if you get it for your acoustic gig, you'll still need something for the full-blown band. If you went with a cabinet, something small like the 1210 or other, you could use it for both...you can always turn down, but you can't always turn up.

Since I'm not in Europe, I don't really know what's available there. I'd say Glockenklang, but they're prohibitively expensive here...probably more affordable there. EBS cabinets also look nice. I'd say a 2x10 or a good solid 1x12 (Aguilar) would do you nicely.

Good luck.
  3. Go get the carrots, you can never go wrong with them.

Anyway, I don't know the combo's you're talking about, but if you want a lightweight rig (combo), you can always get a mesa walkabout scouts
  4. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    The 1210 still looks good to me, but getting it here would cost an extra $150-200, by estimate.
    For the acoustic gigs I was using my old combo, which pretty much sucks. As for the GK, I've been wanting one for a long time now, and now is the chance that I can get one for a decent price. Its kinda a now or never situation...
    Glock and EBS is very expensive here, as well... But sometimes you see some good deals: I've once seen an EBS 210 and a 115 go for $1000 and a couple of years earlier an Eden nemesis 210 and 115 for $800-900... These both are hard to find here, and they are normally more expensive. Of course, as my luck would have it, I had no money at the time these deals happened.
    As for the Aggie, here's a dealer, but new they're almost as much as the 1210, used they are impossible to find, and I've heard the Aggie is a good bit coloured and doesnt cut through.
  5. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Well, if I had the money to buy both the 1210 and the MB150, then I wouldnt make a thread about it ;) and the Walkabout alone costs way more than these two combined
  6. ADuck5150

Jul 31, 2004
    Carrots...lightweight, can easily fit in the car, and you can't beat the price.
  7. How much are the GK MBX 1x12" extension cabs over there? The best of all worlds might be to get the MB150S that you've always wanted and get the matching extension cabinet. Having two 12's should be enough for most band situations, but you might be a little shy on power. If you find that to be the case, you can always run the preamp out from the GK into a cheap-but-powerful power amp to power any speakers. That way, you've got your GK preamp (that I assume you love) and the ability to stay with a small combo for your acoustic gigs.
  8. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    And healthy! :hyper:

Now, come on, amp-linked opinions, please ;)
  9. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    The MBX112 is almost the price of an Aggie 112 or the Schroeder :eek:
    I already have an Ampeg SVP-BSP pre and a Crown power-amp.
    And the band setup would stay in the rehearsal room (dont have a car and cant carry all that stuff) whereas the GK could come with me to the acoustics.

The core of the question is: either get the GK combo at a once in a lifetime deal, and know that has good resale value even here (even has the chance of selling it with a profit), thus leaving me with that borrowed 210 in the band (if the band does work out after all...) OR get the 1210 for my rig and make do with my old little combo...

I know the answer should be #2, but I'm not 100% sure and need some support on this issue...

Thanks for the replies so far!
  10. Gotcha, now I understand.

If the MB150S is what you always wanted and it'll make you sound better for a gig you're already doing, I say go for it and make do with the borrowed 2x10...heck, for band gigs, bring the GK and use it as another speaker cabinet powered from your BSP/power amp. Sure, having the GK 'head' still bolted into the cabinet in that situation would be silly, but you'll get that much more speaker helping you out in a band situation.
  11. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Yeah, ...
    it sucks to have not enough money for what you want when you want it :crying:
    I hoped you'd say 1210 and that would get me moving towards a workable solution, but if you say MB150... :meh:
    This is a tough decision for me... actually that acoustic gig is quite small, and rarely sees some bigger gigs, but that MB150... It would also be good to have at home when all my stuff goes to the rehearsal room. Another problem is that the band is in another city, though not far, but hard to manage with a bass and an amp on a bus or a train...

Damn, even if I sell my old combo and mulitfx i dont use and everythin else, I wont have the money for both... but wait... or maybe... :D
    now that I think it over again, if I sell everythin besides my current rig and basses, I'll have enough for both if the bidding on the MB150 doesnt get too hard... i'll be broke again for a while though, but :D

OK, I think I have a solution now :hyper:

Thanks! :D