what to do with $1200??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mikeOrsus, Apr 19, 2002.

1. mikeOrsus

Apr 13, 2002
    Bronx, NY
    Hey all,

I play in a rock band that plays clubs 2 or 3 times a month in NYC. They usually have cabs at these places. I just got my paycheck and I'm thinking of getting a head, so i don't have to lug much gear around in Manhattan. What would be the best amp I could get for $1200 or less?

I play an Ibanez 5-string and use a sansamp BD-DI. I also plan on getting a large cab during the summer for shows outside of NYC.

Any suggestions on what to do?

2. Hugh Jazz

Hugh Jazz

Sep 13, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Mesa 400+ or Mesa M-2000.

Edit: Included the M-2000 (I'm in love with it :D )
  3. Steven Green

Steven Green

Jul 25, 2001
    Pacific NW
    If you got the M-2000, you'd have to go used...they cost $1699 new!:eek:
  4. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    how about the new ampeg
    it even has a overdrive channel
    don't remember what model number it is
    in muscians friend it is the last amp
    this is the new one
    it cost $1299
  5. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    i think the point here is that he will be walking around manhattan. edenmaybe, my swr sm400s is light. eithe of those and you could buy the head AND an aggie 1x12 so you will always know what your sound will be. you never know what you're gonna get with house equipment. you might wanna think about a new bass too.
  6. mikeOrsus

Apr 13, 2002
    Bronx, NY
    Thanks for the input dudes. That's exactly my point. I will be walking around the city.

Yeah, I was thinking of the SVT3-Pro, but I heard some pretty bad things about it on this forum.

Sting, which eden do u recommend, the wt-1000? The SWR sm500 looks sweet as well.

And yes, the Ibanez EDA 905 sucks big time (i've had so many probs with this fakin thing plus it's so ugly), but it will have to do for now heh.

7. pudgefactor

Mar 28, 2002
    I'd shy away from the Ampeg SVT3 Pro. I had one and then quickly traded it back in for the SVT4 Pro. The 3 just does not have enough power for gigging with a large cab against guitarists who like to play loud....IMO.....I love the sound of the SVT 4 Pro and it has TONS of head room. I really liked the Aguilar db750, but not $600 more so compared to the SVT4.

I checked out the SVT5-Pro. Very good. Less tone shapping ability than the SVT4 and less power. In the end, I decided that I like the overdrive effects I have better (the Sansamp BDDI and the Ibanez PhatHead) than what came with the SVT5 Pro.
  8. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    QSC PLX series Poweramp and a decent pre (unless you run through your Sansamp). Huge power, pretty light relative to most major heads.

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    The Eden WT800 is a killer head! I got a chance to play one the other day. I don't think you can get much better for Rock music. The Edens have a low mid presence that really cuts through. Incredibly clear and incredibly warm, if thats what your going for. It also has a ton of power.

I am not too impressed with ampeg. I like the SVT4pro, but the sound is not nearly as impressive as the Eden or SWR epuipment.

The SWR SM500 is a good clear and articulate head. Though sometimes they sound like they lack warmth. A good sounding head still.

If you were going to go the pre/power amp direction, I would highly recommend the Aguilar DB659 as a pre-amp. It is a very warm and articulate sounding unit, and quite versatile. You won't believe the tone you can get out of it. Power amp wise, QSC is a great amp, and Crest makes very good amplifiers too. The new Peavey Class D power amps look pretty good too, especially their size...1 rack space!
  10. for $1300. you can get the mesa\boogie m-pulse600.(the lower wattage version and walkabout models cost less) some people here don't like this head.personally I think it kicks arse(I have the 600) for the money..(I really like the semi-parametric e.q.and compressor on the m-pulse better than the graphic and the compressor on the m2000)go to the boogie site for features and specs.and really check out the WALKABOUT..if you need portability this is IT!! and I think it's 300w..I tried one in a store and was pretty impressed.it will fit in a gig bag.I've seen effect pedals bigger than this head.hope this helps.
  11. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    i say get the sm400s used ( got mine for 450) a genz benz 12. ( you can run the 12 out of one stereo channel and the house cab with the other, that way you know you will hear yourself) so youat around 750? leaves you enough for a skyline or a K5! new rig for you! remember this. you can always muddy up if its too clean but you cant really clean up if its too muddy. (i dont like eden heads. too much low mid yuck.) my other favorite head is anything aguilar makes. but i personnaly like swr heads (older ones only) better.
  12. What to do with $1200??

Send check or money order to:

The Mudbass G.A.S. Relief Fund
    P.O. Box 1234
    Los Angeles, Ca. 90210
  13. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Buy a near mint Eden WT800 from me for 8 bills and use the other 4 for party favors...
  14. Steven Green

Steven Green

Jul 25, 2001
    Pacific NW
    Yeah, what he said...:cool:
  15. VicDamone

Jun 25, 2000
    Buying stuff is all well and fine, around here your twelve's just a drop in the buckett. My advise is... take two or three hundred and have a nice day at the races, horse races that is. Preferably Santa Anita. Some nice seats in the clubhouse, lunch, your best girl. You don't even have to spend all that much.
    Just a thought.
  16. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    what to do with $1200??

Go find a Rickenbacker 4001V63 in MapleGlo finish and EXC+ condition, then you can ship it to me :p

Most seriously : a great buy is an Ampeg SVT-2 Pro head. After a short and disappointing experience with a SVT-CL, I got the SVT-2 Pro and it is a fabulous head, really.

All the best,