1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

what to do with 2 Faital Pro 15PR400's ???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pfschim, Mar 30, 2015.

1. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    what to do , what to do.

I have 2 perfectly good 15PR400's in an LDS ported 2x15 cab that Don made me about 2 years ago. In the mean time I also picked up a Berg CN212 and then a Berg NV610. So, while the LDS 2x15 is a very nice sounding cab, the Bergs have got nearly all the playing time for the past 2 years.

It occurred to me that I could get a 2 x 1X15 modular cab rig going if I pulled the Faitals out of the LDS 2x15 cab and out them into 2 sealed boxes of an appropriate size. Since I got the NV610, I have remembered how much I like the punch of sealed cabs. When I first looked at the CN212, I also looked at the, then new, Berg NV115 cabs, but ultimately (and happily) I bought the CN212, but the idea of a punchy, modular 2 x 1x15 stack has some real appeal. and heck, I have these nice drivers hanging around .. so............

So, along these lines, I wonder if the 15PR400's would work well in 2 sealed cabs that I might use with my current tube amp (Fender Studio Bass).

any helpful thoughts from the TB universe ?

thanks

2. Leave em be, or sell the cab outright.

3. The empty cab is worth next to nothing unless you could find a buyer wanting new drivers. Actually, that could work to expand the buyer pool to Greyhound bus range. You put it on the bus yourself and buyer collects off the bus at their stop. Very cheap and about as safe as it gets.

4. pfschim

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    hmmm, well I appreciate the thoughts so far, but I am not particularly interested in selling the cab or the drivers.
    are you guys telling me that there is nothing useful I can do with the Faitals ?

5. Omega Monkey

Omega Monkey

Mar 8, 2015
    You don't want to sell the cab or the drivers, but you want to take the drivers out and put them in some other cab, leaving the LDS cab empty and useless. I'm not sure how that makes sense at all.

If you want 2 sealed 15s, get 2 new 15s that would work well in sealed cabs and either make some or have some made. Or just find some production sealed 15s.

It's pointless to pull perfectly good drivers from a perfectly good cab that they were meant to be in, to make some other cab that may or may not be ideal, just because it's what you have. You would still be leaving the LDS cab empty or have to buy replacements for it (presumably the same as what it already has). Instead, you can use this opportunity to get something completely different and expand the range of your collection.

But if you've barely used the cab in 2 years, what's the point of keeping it? Sell it as is to someone who will use it, and pursue your sealed dreams some other way.

CL400Peavey likes this.
  6. pfschim

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    I'm still not clear on something and I'd like a straight forward answer from someone who really knows. Are the Faital's just not suited for sealed cabs for some reason ?

7. pfschim

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    you know, all of this that you are saying is pointless, does not seem pointless to me at all. I own all the parts and am interested in possibly re-using them in ways that may be more useful to me than they are now. Whats the big deal ? Its not as if Don's design with the Faital drivers is something wildly unique.

the key question is (at least to me) - will the Faital's work well in a properly designed and built sealed cabinet ?

8. Omega Monkey

Omega Monkey

Mar 8, 2015
    It is pointless because you could sell the perfectly good cab you have no use for to someone who would love it as is (or keep it for the rare occasion you do get the urge to use it), and get exactly what you want instead (which is apparently more big sealed cabs, to go with your other big sealed cabs, also seems pretty pointless to me), instead of trying to cobble something together just because you "could".

And how is a big empty 2x15 more useful than a loaded, working 2x15, and/or the equivalent pile of cash?

CL400Peavey likes this.
  9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Sheesh! Is this "Get all wound up over nothing" day or something? Seems to be some tightly wound folks on here tonight. Maybe a nice, calming cup of warm milk would hit the spot right about now, eh?

edwinhurwitz, PawleeP, xbud and 5 others like this.
  10. Is that the actual question/reason for the thread?

No I would not put the faitals in a sealed cab with out a fair bit of consideration. One big disadvantage is it reduces the cooling the drivers see.

If you use low powered amps only that may be fine.

11. OldogNewTrick

OldogNewTrick

Dec 28, 2004
    Germany, EU
    Not an expert here, but... based on TS parameters, the driver is primarily designed for vented enclosures (QTS 0,32 / EBP103).
    However, quite a number of drivers with similiar parameters are also used in sealed cabs.
    So try it out in a cheap unfinished test box.

Edit: Peavey was faster.... cooling might be a consideration....

12. Splanky

Splanky

Jun 10, 2002
    Gothenburg Sweden
    I am by no means an expert but I have built a couple of cabs that have worked really well

Faital makes excellent speakers. However they can be more optimized toward PA speakers and can be a little tricky apply in Bass enclosures.
    Just by looking at the spec´s for the speaker; the “Qts” value is quite, but not extremely low.
    This indicates that it´s quite well suited for a vented cab.
    So using WinISD Beta I did a quick and dirty calculation.
    I designed a closed and a vented cab which measured H: 3,3 ft W: 2,3 ft D: 1,64 ft giving it a internal volume of approx. 12,36 Qft
    (if I managed the convert program correctly)
    Both drivers were used.
    For the vented cab I have tuned it to 43Hz (Fs being 35Hz but it´s useless to push it)
    Trying to avoid blow sound from the ports I have suggested 4 circular ports with a diameter of ~ 5,9 inch and a length of 6,7 inches.
    This gives a air speed of 0,01 mach.
    As for the closed cab same cab size!

Green is vented, yellish closed.

The gain plot showes a slight hump 60-300Hz area. Quite common.
    The curve for the closed shows that it´s starts to roll off already at 400Hz
    Faital 15PR400.JPG

The closed one loosing the punch from again 400 Hz
    Faital 15PR400_2.JPG

So take care and good luck!

Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
  13. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    Wow. Different strokes & all ...

For me, it'd be the LDS all day (& night :D ) long.

14. hsech

hsech Work hard. My Social Security needs a raise.

Jun 27, 2012
    Central Iowa
    I use to get overwound like a cheap watch over nothing. Now life is good. They have meds for that.

15. agedhorse

agedhorse SUSPENDED Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Cooling in a sealed cabinet that large is not an issue (not even close to being an issue) but a sealed cabinet would not be my first choice for that driver.

/\/\3phist0, slade and dukeorock like this.
  16. The_Janitor

The_Janitor

Jun 30, 2012
    Madison, Wi
    That's a pretty significant roll off at 400Hz, I would not attempt to build this cabinet. If it was me, I'd sell the LDS and have some custom sealed 15"s built (actually, I'd keep the LDS and use it, but for the sake of advice...).

17. pfschim

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    whew.

well, to those that posted answers to my question, thanks very much. I appreciate the straight forward info. It would appear that the Faital 15PR400 is not a particularly good choice for a sealed cab. So, what I will most likely do is move the LDS cab to one of 3 rehearsal spaces I use and have a cab in place that I am familiar with, and save myself additional haulage.

to those who seem to want to pretty strenuously offer advice that was not sought - perhaps I was not clear in my OP, so I will just consider your replies as well intentioned but kind of off the mark.

ok, big breath everyone, its just gear you know, not life or death.

slade likes this.
  18. pfschim

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    ha, yes, well isn't that the essence of many discussions here on TB ?

I want to be clear on one point though, this post was not intended as a dis on LDS or the cab Don built for me. The LDS cab sounds (and looks) fine. I had it built to go with my (then) newly acquired Fender Studio Bass, and it fit the bill very well .. at the time. Since that time, I got some Berg cabs that I think work better for my main gigging amps; Mesa WA as well as the Fender.

A key aspect of the cab, outside of the drivers and tuning and such, were the aesthetics of the silverface look and the width (so it could match the Studio Bass silverface look and accommodate the old-school wide footprint of the Studio Bass head which is 26"). I usually don't choose gear with aesthetics as a top priority, but I just don't like the look of "head overhang" on top of a cab, and when I had an option of having a cab built to order, I addressed this issue with Don.

slade likes this.
  19. pfschim

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    fwiw, I have one "big sealed cab" at my disposal, a Berg NV610.
    thanks for playing

20. Omega Monkey

Omega Monkey

Mar 8, 2015
    Who's getting wound up? I (as most others so far) just think taking perfectly good drivers that are already in a great sounding purpose built cab and trying to repurpose them for something else they're not ideally suited for is a pointless waste of resources and time.

As far as advice that wasn't sought, you asked if the faitals were well suited for sealed cabs. No, they aren't, and besides the actual parameter issues, the other factor is they are already in a great, working, well designed cab and would be LESS fully maximized in sealed cabs, that could better use drivers that are purposely chosen for that purpose, leaving the integrity of the LDS cab intact, either for further use, or to sell off.

It's pretty common on forums like these for people to ask for advice, without having really thought through all the different factors involved, and almost invariably expecting a simple answer that reinforces their initial plan. But it rarely works out that way that the initial plan is the best one, and if it was, the person wouldn't be asking for advice in the first place, because they would probably already know enough about what they're doing to be confident in their approach.

So while your question may not have been worded quite this way, your goal was essentially to find out if putting these Faitals in sealed cabs made sense. My responses spoke directly to that goal. Whether you choose to see it that way is up to you. Fortunately others in the thread gave answers that fell within your expectations of a "correct" answer, and arrived at the same conclusion as my "unsought" advice. So it all worked out in the end.