Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what to do with $250

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by slapfish, Dec 13, 2002.

1. slapfish

slapfish

Jul 16, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Ok, so I've got a store credit from Sam Ash for around $250. (It was for an amp return that was after the full refund period). I have since found an Avatar 4x10 that I'm happy with, but now I've got a $250 store credit that I don't know what to do with. Unfortunately, no members of my band are looking to buy anything, or else I'd just exchange the credit slip for cash and let them use it. So I've got this $250 that's already spent...the question is, what it'll end up being spent on... I'm not necessarily that gear-savvy, so I thought I'd pose this question to the board. My current setup is:

Carvin 5-string bass
    Carvin R600 head (series III)
    Zoom effects processor (don't know model off the top of my head...it's the smaller one with an expression pedal)

So my question is...what would be the best thing to add to this setup? My band plays rock (not too heavy, but still loud) shows in mid-sized venues. My first thought was to add a Hartke 210TP, but I've read some bad things about them, and I don't think the volume difference would be worth it, especially since I frequently get help from the house via a mic or line out from the head. Is there some essential piece of gear I'm missing here? If not, what toys can you recommend in that price range?

2. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Just an idea...pick the effect you use the most, then buy a really nice version of it.

3. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    um...a new gig bag? a lock strap system(if you don't have already) as bunch of cables for all the members of your band. a really cheap guitar.

4. I suggest your setup is ideal, so send the credit to me, you obviously don't need it!;)

5. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Hmmm... you could outdo Barry and Levon by ten dollars! :D

Seriously, though - assuming that there's no time limit on the credit, I'd say sit tight for a bit because it's usually just a matter of time, if you're like most of us, before something 'must have' comes along.

Either that, or if they have good prices on strings (quantity discounts?), stock up on a few sets.

6. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Kentucky
    Check out a Sansamp

7. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    if its the money youd ratehr havem, and judging by the comment about selling to bandmates, why not 'buy' a bass and gig bag for $250, hen sell them on ebay/2nd hand for around $200 ish. At the end of the day you lost $50, but its better than just 'blowing it' just because you can (in my view anyway :) )