Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What to do with $6,000?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by *ToNeS*, Jan 19, 2004.

1. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    Recently I received a 'grant' for $6,000 AUS to go off and buy myself a new bass and head unit for my cabs. Now, if you were in my excited little shoes, just what would you splurge this money on if you were shopping for similar items? What's the maximum one could get out of it (think in terms of around $3,100 or so for you Americans) to facilitate a nice alt-rock sound?

Personally, I'm thinking a Spector Czech 5 and GK 1001RB... where's the drooling smiley...? :)

2. why, donate it to me of course.

3. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    Nah.

4. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    What kinda grant is that?

I think you got the right idea there. A Czechtor and a GK head would be a pretty sweet setup.

Check out the ReBops if you can, rather killer basses for less than their neckthrough counterparts.

5. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Look into local Australian luthiers - much better bang for buck! Although, forget about buying a high end bass from Australian shops - you WILL be ripped off. You are much better off importing it yourself. With the rising value of the dollar and zero import duty on an electric bass, you will be able to import for less than the cost of the same bass in Australia (for a high end bass).

Remember most high end basses that are in stock in bass shops were bought when the Aus dollar was at a low - therefore they have to sell them higher than what they would cost now.

Look into getting a JP or a Nordstrand - $3000US is about $4000 Aus - that would set you up with a pretty good bass from some of the up and comming US lutheirs.

As for AMPS - look into Ebony or Lab Systems - again, much better value for money for purcahsing in Australia than imported gear.

6. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    Brendan, our band gets hella financial support. And why not; reckon we've earnt it. As for the Rebop, you know, I haven't seen one (therefore haven't played one) on our fair shores yet. Clue me in, Big Man. What's the deal?

Mark, I wouldn't know the first thing to do to go about imporiting something. Maybe I need a catalogue first, or something...? Help :confused:

I have to have a 5'er, that's a condition of the money being thrown my way. I'm not familiar with JP or Nordstrand, do they have websites? I'm open to anything, seeing as I'm never 100% sure on what tone is the right one for my band. I've been through a few basses and setups, and liked using a Korean Spector with a Warwick rig - but something was still missing.

Where amps are concerned, I've never been a fan of Lab Systems. Ebony I haven't experienced, so could you please elaborate or, if you're in the midst of a coldie and watching the cricket, shove me off in a direction I could learn more?

7. The Rebop, if I'm not mistaken, is the bolt-on version of the Czech. Prices almost 1000$ less than the neck thru Czech, but in the end you may prefer the neck thru. Same quality, both Czech-made, same electronics, etc. Nice basses.

JP and Nordstrand are among the elite builders on this board. Search around and you'll find a lot of pics and reviews. You can also try Sadowsky for a good Fender style custom.

8. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    The other option for Amps is to go the pre/power amp route. That way, if you don't like the sound you are getting, you can easily change the preamp.

I have a Warwick Quad VI and think its great because the preamp is versitile enough for my needs without beeing too complicated.

As far as basses go, get what feels right for you. Personally, I would be looking at a Nordstrand / Benavente / JP or Sadowsky with the kind of money you have. I would like an MTD, but they are little bit too much relative to the others.

The only point I would reiterate is seriously think about what you are going to pay in a shop here at the moment. The way our dollar has turned around in the last 6 months has meant that shops are way overpriced. Ie it has risen approx 35% against the US dollar - therefore basses in the shops should be about 35% cheaper - they are not.

For aroun d $3000Aus you can get a Sadowsky Tokyo. Think about what $3000 will get you here now days, its not a lot.

I believe Petebass has an Ebony amp and loves it (better than the labsystems) and in you are in Sydney, the Bassplayer in Annandale stocks them.

9. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    Okay, but I still need help with importing. Really lost on that score.

I checked out some JP and Nordstrand basses, and they just look so... boutique. Amazing, way beyond my level. I don't think I'd know what to do with one, and I certainly wouldn't be comfortable taking the stage with something that appears to be that holy (I tend to swing myself around with the potential to dent my equipment). No, I need something which is suitable for a maniacal little rock player like myself. I'd like whatever I go with to be a little more obscure than say, Warwick - because everyone sounds like Warwick in my genre and it's a little tired, IMO.
    You seriously think importing is the way to go over shops? Those guys are in trouble as soon as more people start to watch the Dow Jones more carefully. My drummer, in fact, has recently taken to ordering some phenomenally expensive (if bought over here) electric kit all way from some region of America which I've never heard of for a fraction of the cost. Hmmm, all the signs are there...

Concerning amps, I'm in Melbourne, so surely Ebony must have some stockists over here? I'm gonna go check it out tomorrow. Sounds like fun.

10. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    What about Aguilars?

11. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    If you asked for them in a shop in Australia you would either get a blank stare (never heard of them) or laughed at (you've got no chance of getting one into Australia for any decent price).

12. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    *ToNeS*,
    Check your PMs. I sent you a message with some information on some of the best high-end builders in the business.

13. If I had that money and wasn't sure what to spend them on, I would save them for later.. Maybe you should only get a head for now. I would pick up something SWR or GK i guess.

14. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    Man, this is exciting. Getting into the 'high-end' arena. Didn't think I'd have the cash or inclination until well into my 30's... thanks a lot for the help, BTW!

15. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Tones, if you want to check out American luthiers, check out Stambaugh and FBB. A little less botique, and still VERY killer basses (FBB I can vouch for).

Jenderfazz nailed the Rebop.

But, hey, if you can, Support the local scene as far as amps/basses go.

If I had 3K to spend on and amp and a bass, I'd spend about 1600 on an FBB and another 1400 on a high powered head, like an Ampeg SVT-4Pro (which sounds godly through and SWR stack)

FBB is my custom bass of choice, but beware that the neck is way, way different than anything you've probably played. If you dig Spector necks though, you might dig them. Big gamble though.

Or, conversely, I'd get a $1000 bass, $1200 head, and $800 on another cab (all USD, because I'm a nanderthal unwilling to make the AUS conversions for you).

16. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    I need the gear now, that's the problem. I'm being rushed a little - possible profile tour dates with Pacifier (Mark will know who I'm talking about). Sucks, hey? Hope I don't miss out on anything while I'm doing a low-end Roadrunner on gear-acquisition.

17. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Hey, that's cool when a band starts to pay off. Good luck with being on tour (or playing on a tour, depending on how close the dates are)

18. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Where abouts in Vic are you? You could go and see Rob Little at Billy Hydes in Blackburn. They have a decent selection of basses and Amps.

I definately would not go in there with $6000 to spend though - they can "oversell" a lot. Go in and say you've got $3000 to spend on an Amp and bass and see what they come up with.

If I were you? I would get one of the new MTD Heir 5's with Ash body and and active preamp (they would kill) and an look for a cheap deal on say a SWR 750x amp. (They can be found in Australia).

If you do want some help / tips on importating a bass let me know - but it may take a while to get here - if you are in a rush, a shop might be your only choice.

19. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    Yeah Brendan, it's a very satisfying feeling, and I'm kinda privlieged, I think, to be involved in something like this at my age. Keeping the ego in check can be hard at times, though, especially when drunken non-musician crowd members hail your pathetic root-noting antics as godly :rolleyes: :D
    Thanks for the well-wishes,too. I've heard some horror stories about touring...

I'm in Prahran (South Yarra/Chapel st. area), which makes getting to Blackburn an accessible proposition - in fact, I bought my first Spector over at Billy Hydes in Flemington, and my unbelievably unreliable effects processor, too, as I recall (for a bargain, thankfully). So I know they have some good stuff going on. Theoretically if I were to go in there and drop your name, would they treat me more favourably?

I considered an MTD 5 a long time ago, one of the discontinued round of quality 5's that was so popular for some time. Can't remember the model name (started with 'G'), but it looked a treat. Definite possibility there.

20. Every $3,000 US saves a duck ;)