Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What to do with a Bassman 100 speaker cabinet?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassplayer347, Oct 16, 2004.

1. bassplayer347

bassplayer347 Guest

Dec 24, 2003
    Kansas
    I recently aquired a bassman 100 with a moded cabinet. 2 of the baffles were cut and 15" speakers were added. 1 of the 15" speakers is blown.

Now my question.......What would the best fix for this cabinet be?

Make a new baffle to match the original and put in matching 12's........did the slanted baffles actually serve a purpose, or were they just a "gimick"?

Make a new flat baffle and make it a 4x12?

Make a new flat baffle and make it a 2x15?

And what would work best with a flat baffle
    ...........sealed or ported?

Suggestions pleasssssssse
    Thank you

2. Jim Ingraham

Jim Ingraham

Nov 14, 2002
    Shillington
  3. bassplayer347

bassplayer347 Guest

Dec 24, 2003
    Kansas
    Thanks Jim........ any other ideas?

4. Rezdog

Rezdog Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    T.Rez, Canada
    Greetings from the North,
    Make a new baffle to match the original and replace the 15s with matching 12 inch Eminence speakers. Be sure to get the slant ports in the corners right. I've been using 1 or 2 of those Fender Bassman 412 cabs since ancient times. Prog rock,funk,fusion,punk,power pop,grunge and groovin r&b this cab with the right power will give you plenty booty.
    As for deep meaning in the angled set up, I don't know. But I've got some great tone,booty and volume out of mine. And yes they will do a B string justice, mine have anyway.
    Happy Times,
    Rezdog

5. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    The slanted baffles did serve a purpose. They were to supposed to focus the sound about ten or twenty feet out from the amp. Back in the day, 100 watts was just about the biggest bass amp you could get (except for the monster SVT, that no one could carry). And, as you know 100 watts is "not quite enough" for a bass player, especially competing against a loud drummer and a Marshall stack. So they'd use any trick in the book to get a few extra dB of audio out of the speakers. People used to hot-rod their amps, and all kinds of crazy stuff, before the second generation high power bass amps came along. Anyway, to answer your question, there's no need to stick with the original design unless you have some collector's fantasies of restoring the cab to its original function. In today's world, 15" speakers would probably be better than 12's, on the other hand if you're just going to use the cab with a 100 watt amp then it probably doesn't matter too much. If it were me, I'd load the cab "as is" (with a couple of nice new 15's, like maybe EV's or something), and see if I like the sound. Then I'd figure out whether it'd be worth the effort to re-cut some new baffles. Didn't the original cabs come with JBL 140's or something like that? I seem to recall there were some pretty efficient speakers in there to begin with.

6. Rezdog

Rezdog Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    T.Rez, Canada
    Greetings,
    When I bought these cabs new,that was one of the stories that the Fender dealer ran on me. He also said that the matching Bassman head had enough power. Ah ha ha! Got it home and it was like trying to light a house with a birthday candle. So I went out and got an SVT head and those 412 cabs came to life.
    Trust me on this one. I've been using these cabs for a long time. Take the effort and get the 12s back into that cab. That cab was designed for the 12s not 15s. Everyone of the modified 412 cabs that had 15s stuck in them,that I heard, sounded awful. It might work with other designs but not the Bassman angled 412.
    Rezdog