1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What to do with an 8 string (oct) bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Petary791, Apr 29, 2006.

1. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    What are some instances to use an 8 string bass? I found a cool and inexpensive one on Brice, but I feel like if I got it, it would rarely be used.

Sound clips would be cool too.

http://www.rondomusic.net/hxb408.html

2. steve21

steve21 Banned

I'd imagine they'd be good for a 3 piece group if you have a guitarist who likes to solo alot, you fill the viod left by using an 8 string

3. its cheap you say?

whats to lose? buy it anyways, and if you barely use it, hey... it was cheap!

or you could just mess around with it yourself and try different things.

4. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast Banned

They're really great for filling out the sound, as Steve said, when your guitarist runs off for a solo and such things. It'll give you a little bit of a chorus'y tone, but so much different cuz it isn't just a pedal. I play 12 string acoustic guitar (*gasp* evil me!), and the sound is just so big and full.

If you can cop the feel, you can use it in anything from metal to punk to funk to jazz to whatever.

And there's nothing to say you can't just take the octave strings off sometime :p

5. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I'm sold!

I could probably tune it to 5ths or something too.

6. jeff_bass28

jeff_bass28 Guest

Mar 21, 2006
    What can you do on an 8? Check out some of John Paul Jones' recent stuff. :eek: :eek: :eek: :bassist:
    Saw him opening for King Crimson a while back. JPJ on his 8, 10 and 12(?) strings, BASS lap steel(!); Nick Beggs from Kajagoogoo on Stick; can't remember the drummer...
    Best show I've ever seen.

7. TheEmptyCell

Yeah, the tuning possibilities for the octaves makes it worth it IMO. Could use guitar strings if you decided to try a new tuning.

E b - A e - D a - G d

This makes me want one. And now I see they have the HXB series back in stock. Makes me want one of those too. Grr...

8. Playing some Cheap Trick is one I can think of off the top of my head.............

9. matrok

matrok

Jan 10, 2005
    Ferndale, Michigan
    That was good show! Nick was smokin' on Black Dog.

Crimson wasn't too bad either.;)

10. jeff_bass28

jeff_bass28 Guest

Mar 21, 2006
    Mine was a bit of an odd show. Columbus, OH. I swear Beggs was a ringer for Dana Carvey's Church Lady! Pat Mastellotto kind of chunked out and looked an awful lot like Terry Gilliam of Monty Python; and the guy 2 rows up brought along his kids--the son looked liked like a "War"-era Bono, the girl looked like Danny Bonaduce!
    No-I wasn't high, either!
    Oh, and they guy in the wheelchair got tossed for hiding a DAT in his chair. Fripp mad! Fripp smash! Fripp fight Godzilla!

And is it just me, or is Adrian Belew the sweatiest man alive?

11. I have an octave tuned 8 and love it. I used to use it as my primary bass in a past band; I'll admit that I don't use it all the time anymore, lol, really just occasionally, but when I take it out I always smile. It's fantastic with distortion, and sounds wicked when doing chords or pedal tone progressions - the octave strings give you an articulation that you don't have with a regular bass so you can really explore some things that you might not think of.

If you pm me I can see if I can't find a clip or two for you - I'll post them when I get a chance to free up some server space :).

12. you could always just get an octaver pedal...

:bag:

13. TheEmptyCell

An octaver would require playing everything an octave higher (or string piccolo), or shelling out mucho cash for a pedal that will ultimately sound very synthy or just not like an 8 string bass.

14. jeff_bass28

jeff_bass28 Guest

Mar 21, 2006
    If you want a really HUGE sound from an 8, run it into an A/B box, one signal to your bass rig, the other to a guitar amp. Makes a guitar player feel highly inadequate.

15. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    *presses Order button*

:cool:

Not really though. Thanks for all the input guys.

16. jeff_bass28

jeff_bass28 Guest

Mar 21, 2006
    :D

17. I play Waterstone 12 string basses and love them. HUGE full sound! Best for orchestrated bass lines (listen to Cheap Trick song "Heaven Tonight).

I used to have an 8 string, similar sound and concept. Needs getting used to, but it just a bass! GO FOR IT!!