Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What to do with an old friend?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by 5stringDNA, Feb 15, 2003.

1. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    I still have my first bass (an Austin 5'er). I spent a good amount of time a few months back doing a nice defret on the neck since I didn't play it much after I got my Spector. Anyway, I really like the neck now-its a one piece maple w/rosewood fretboard 34"-and even though its a beginner level bass, the neck plays very nice with the fretless configuration. I would put money into upgrading the hardware, etc, but the body is plywood and kinda thin, so the tone ain't very beefy, the bridge does get good sustain though. :( I don't really want to sell cause it would feel wrong to dump it for $80 or whatever, but it doesn't really cut teh cake for most of my playing anymore. I have landed on two major options:

1) Pull off the neck and find a solid jazz body for it.

2) Get some higher output pups.

3) Something else- any suggestions??

I think it might be hard to find a jazz body that will fit a 5 string neck for under $150 ( I don't have a lot to spend), so I was thinkin maybe use a regular 4 and widen the neck pocket or is that a bad idea?
    Like i said, I really liek the way the neck plays now, and I woudl hate to "dump my first love" so to speak. What ya got?

(should this go in lutheir's corner mods?)

2. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Oh ya, it is a passive dual-humbucker setup at the moment. I want to stay passive to get a fresh, clean fretless tone.

3. i'd say you'd do best to go with option #1...$150 isn't a lot to spend, so save up a little more and check out the thrift shop at warmoth.com

4. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    At this point I am really considering digging up a 4 string body, but it suddenly occurred to me that the pups would need to be bigger and the routing would have to be done, which would put me back at getting a warmoth priced body..crap..what to do?:confused:

5. 5stringdna, you've got PM!