Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What to do with "bass morons"

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by aarono, Mar 13, 2006.

1. aarono

aarono

Feb 14, 2006
    Minnesota
    Today, I was talking to my friend about the new bass I'm getting, and some girl butts in saying "so what, bass is stupid and it's easier than guitar". I was so shocked, I had no clue what to say... how can they be that ignorant?

Ever have instances like this?

2. Hey man, check out the bass humor section. Theres massive threads on this kinda stuff to keep you entertained all day!! Funny stuff there too.

3. Some people just don't appreciate the sound of the gods.

4. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    So what if alot of bass parts are pretty simple? Much of my favorite music is pretty simple. I'm sure she doesn't listen to Igor Stravinsky and Thelonius Monk 24/7. The bass is an important instrument and many of us love to play it!:bassist:

5. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    IGNORE THEM

6. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

Laugh and forget about it. You said a girl said it, Right? Enough said

Rob

7. Backhand to the cheekbone. Commonly called the 'pimp slap'.

8. I dunno. Physically playing one is harder, since the frets are more spaced.

But I agree with the so called "pimp slap", as suggested by Indi86. Might wanna search around for a guide on how to do it correctly though.

9. i generally tell them that thats why i started bass...and that girl probably listens to punk rock and that kind of music, in which the bass is pretty easy...just don't get all high and mighty on her and talk about geddy and jaco because she probably doesn't care...just say ok and move on

you could always slap her like those guys said, but in northern Wisconsin, thats called assault and generally frowned upon...

10. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Its okay most people dont even really know what a bass is.

11. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    It's pure ignorance, plain and simple.

12. Fong249

Fong249

May 25, 2005
    Washington, DC
    Actually, i've perfected the method on which you should handle these people. Sit them down and ask them to play say... paganinis fifth caprice. Any piece by bach. Now part two takes a bit of preperation. Go to a grocery store, and purchase a very small bottle of baby powder to keep with you at all times. remove cap, place on hand. Pull arm back, then release with fingers extended. Not only will your hands feel good, but the tone of the slap is quite impressive, and they'll have a nice big white mark on the side of their head.

13. +1

14. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    She probably dates a guitar player.

15. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    in some ways bass is easier than guitar. at least when you first start out. i started out just playing the roots of chords and stuff like that, no fancy stuff, not even walking.

but then again bass is pretty much vital to a song, unless it's pure acoustic. if the drums and bass mess up, the song is gone. also, when you get more into it all you learn about slapping, tapping, chords, and whatnot.

when people say stupid comments i just act all passive and stuff and ignore them.

16. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

+1. I have no patience for fools. Unfortunately, stupidity is not a crime, and slapping is.

Ahhh, the unfairness of it all . . .

Since bass playing is so easy, perhaps she could pick one up and play "YYZ" or "Portrait of Tracy" for you?

17. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger

Sep 22, 2005
    Tell her that's just her opinion, man.

18. aarono

aarono

Feb 14, 2006
    Minnesota
    I'm sure she's never even touched a bass, maybe played a guitar for two minutes and thought she wasn't playing like a rockstar so it was difficult. Probably been told you just pluck the string with two fingers.

Slapping probably wouldn't go over too well at my school, where a girl can slap you on the bum, etc. and it's just flirting, where as if we males try something and we're caught pray to God you have an attorney. :)

19. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    I had a similar incident in high school. A girl at a party once said to me ,"Who cares, no one wants to hear a dumb old bass line go , 'Blah'. Later on that evening she insulted my listening tastes when I put on Physical Graffiti.

I asked her firmly to leave and never darken my doorstep again. She did, and then she didn't.

20. aarono

aarono

Feb 14, 2006
    Minnesota
    With that kind of attitude I'm sure she'll be bagging your groceries in a few years.