1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What to do with empty acoustic neo b210 cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Brendan5, Aug 7, 2012.

1. Brendan5

Brendan5

Jul 18, 2009
    So I have an empty cab trying to figure out what to do with it. So far I've come up with:

A) Put some celestions in it and call it a guitar cab
    B) Put some Jensen 8s I have in it to make it a guitar 2x8
    C&D) pretty much the same as above, but for bass. I would need to buy the speakers on a small budget.
    E) _________

I'm not a total speaker nerd but I don't mind getting down n nerdy. I guess I'm headed for TS comparison territory here but I figured I'd see if anyone else has done anything with one of these. There is one video on YouTube but I can't tell what the thing sounds like.

Thanks

2. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    Bonfire???? :D

3. Brendan5

Brendan5

Jul 18, 2009
    It's a possibility but I did actually pay $40 for it.

4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Turn it back into a B210 cab?

5. Brendan5

Brendan5

Jul 18, 2009
    I knew someone would chime in with this. Apparently they sucked even if I had a line on the oem drivers at a decent price. At that point I might as well go crazy and buy top of the line speakers. I don't even know if the thing has the right volume for a bass 210.

6. Make a huge birdhouse.......then buy a good loaded cab

7. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Sep 14, 2010
    Most 10" speakers like 1 to 2 cubic feet per driver.
    1.3 to 1.8 being common.

28.5" x 20" x 16" external dimension.

if the wood is 1/2 thick subtract .5 from those numbers
    if wood is 3/4 thick subtract .75 from those numbers.

1/2 inch 28 x 19.5 x 15.5 = 4.9cubic or 2.4 per driver
    3/4 inch 27.75 x 19.25 x15.25 =4.7 cubic or 2.35per driver

minus the volume of drivers and ports looks like about 2 cubic per driver. Pretty much perfect for any 10 and actually a little more ballsy than a typical 2x10

10" speakers just dont have high sensitivity, so you cant expect it to be some raging volume monster.
    I would not want it, but some people love 10's, so it depends on how bad you want a 2x10.

8. Brendan5

Brendan5

Jul 18, 2009
    Cool. Thats what I was looking for. Sounds like I need a couple good 10's. Recommend any that are good for higher vol cabs?

9. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Sep 14, 2010
    as said 10" speakers lack sensitivity.

around 92 to 94 dB
    Common for most ceramic 10 inch speakers in the 80 to 100 dollar range. Likewise their resonant frequency is high around 50 to 60hz.
    so in a ported box, tuned to around 50 to 60hz makes a extremely annoying boomy ported cab with little detail in the 40 to 60hz range. usually why sealed 10" are more popular.
    and a more effective sealed cab is with common 4x10 or 8x10
    again because the sensitivity is lacking so you need more speaker.

So finding a 10" with a lower resonate frequency (Fs) around 30 to 40 is
    hard to find without a big price jump. likewise ones that do are low in sensitivity and dont have much more high end than a 15.

Anyhoo I should stop before this goes on, as you can tell I find 10" speakers a waste of time....so I will put that aside.

A Eminence BP102 does very well in 2 cubic feet, can be ported to 40hz. sensitivity low 92/93 dB ish , highend meh ok.

A Eminence Deltalite II 2510 does well in 2 cubic feet.
    decent senstivity 95/96 dB ish, can be ported to 40hz
    and has much more highend.

sure there is more, off the top of my head these will work in a large ported cab. power handling will be about the same in a large box the neos will be almost twice as loud and weigh less.

the new kappalite 3010LF will give some boners im sure but
    it has poor sensitivity and no highend, and would need a mid, crossover and alot of power to get anywhere.

10. Lo-E

Lo-E

Dec 19, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    A good choice.

Faital 10PR300 or 10PR310 would be pretty good choices, too.

11. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Take another inch off the depth for the baffle recess when figuring the volume and porting.

Yeah, the DL II will run louder and have much better topend. The basslite is another option. There is a 4ohm bp102 though. That would get you an 8ohm cab you could stack with stuff. Not much for decent 10's out there that come in 4 or 16 ohms.

Don't know about the Faitals but they seem to be generally good stuff. Don't really have a budget line.

12. Brendan5

Brendan5

Jul 18, 2009
    Thanks for all the constructive responses. I'm not really sure on the budget myself. I picked the thing up on the cheap, so I'm not sure whether to try to throw something together and flip it or save up for some really good speakers and keep the thing. I kind of like the semi-vertical arrangement. I had a 410xl but it kind of got to be a pain to carry and most of the time it was overkill with the 15 I use. The shows I play are small.

13. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
  14. Brendan5

Brendan5

Jul 18, 2009
    By the way, they don't have to be neo.

15. Brendan5

Brendan5

Jul 18, 2009
  16. Brendan5

Brendan5

Jul 18, 2009
    I'm going to have to check the dimensions when I get home as it has been brought up that GC has them wrong.