1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

what to do with fried SWR...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by eastcoasteddie, Mar 26, 2006.

1. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    I have an older SWR workingman's 12, from back when they just came out in like '95 or '96. It had recently fried on me. I had a repair shop look at it and they said that it would cost a good amount to fix, as to buy a new one. So what should I do with this paperweight?

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Sell it on E-bay, of course.

3. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Door stop.

4. sledge it!

just kidding....

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    eBay. People out there will buy anything THEY personally can fix for a decent price.

Hell, I bought so many Big Muff's that were DOA for $30 or $40 and got them workin in about 5 minutes.

6. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    i could probably fix it.. depending on whats wrong.. usualy involves taking it apart and finding the blown parts, and replacing them.. easy.

price?

7. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    Wire a speaker jack and keep it around for a extra cab.

8. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    Full disclosure, I'm a certified Fender technician working in a music store that carries Fender, Yamaha, and Ibanez products among others.
    I just used a Peavey Megabass a friend pulled out of a dumpster at a rehearsal. It took me about 3 hours to fix the damage the previous owner trashed it for. For an amp tech, that's about $250 around here, plus parts. Not worth it. For me? A great deal, since I get to keep it if I fix the Crown Power Base 1 that was in the trash with it.
    (We've also pulled a mixer, bass cab, 15" woofer, dozens of cables, and various other power amps out of this dumpster. We check it weekly :) )
    eBay it as "in need of repair", and I guarantee someone will buy it, if for no other reason than they need parts to fix their broken SWR.

9. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    I sent an email to SWR explaining the situation. Maybe I can send the amp itself to them, sans the speaker cabinet, and maybe they can fix it for me for a more reasonable price. We'll see what they say...
    Shipping this amp must be a Mother, it's heavy.

10. I bought a non-working WM12 off of ebay, removed the amp, cut the cab down, did a little rewiring and presto, a cheap, light weight 112 cab. Sounds good paired my Bag End S15d.