1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What to do with IBS?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by muddycreek, Nov 30, 2017.

1. muddycreek

muddycreek

Feb 26, 2010
    No, not irritable bowel syndrome. This thing:

IMG_20171125_104954136-1988x561.

This is the head portion of an old Marshall IBS 5522 combo. 200w at 4 ohms. It was all beat to crap, so I removed the faceplate, sanded it, labeled it, clearcoated it, and put on new knobs. I never owned both it and a GOOD cabinet at the same time, so I think my perspective is a little skewed. It's definitely not flat/HiFi, but I'd love to hear some perspective on it. I have a Peavey 15 of some flavor, a few crappy 10's, and I think I still have an EVM 15(something) around.

So, I could keep it as is as a backup head, or build it into some kind of combo with speakers I have (or at most an MCM driver or two, I am not buying $150+ speakers for this...). Or give it to a kid who wants to play and can't afford it. Anyone know any worthy bass orphans?

Seriously, anyone play a Marshall IBS? Have an opinion?

Thanks!

2. cornfarmer

cornfarmer jam econo

May 14, 2002
    I've sort been interested, but never pulled the trigger when I found them....but I'm weird and I like low to mid powered solid state bass heads from the 70s-80s. Same circuit as the 600 watt Jubilee, no? If you're into Lemmy's sound this would probably get you most of the way there.

Check it out at :42

3. I was going to say you're in the wrong forum!:roflmao:

Ampslut likes this.
  4. phillybass101

phillybass101

Jan 12, 2011
    Artist, Trickfish Amplification Bartolini Emerging Artist, MTD Kingston Emerging Artist. Artist, Tsunami Cables
    Zantac LOL!!!!

bobyoung53 likes this.
  5. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Sounds good from that video. Probably not the most versatile.

6. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, ChopShopAmps
    I'm not 100% sure the Jubilee's were the same as the 3520. That is what the head version of the IBS series were, 35xx were heads, 55xx were combos.... Anyway I think on the Marshall forum, Santiago (?)(sort of their Agedhorse) said that the 3505 (the Micro Bass head), the 3510 (100 watter) and 3520 were the same basic pre, but the 3540 (400 watt) 3550 (jubilee) and 3580 (dual 400 watt) were a different monster. I think I remembered that right, but could be off a bit on models. I do know the Jubilee and high powered IBS amps are different from the 3505, but I think the two lower powered IBS are more like the micro, which was the basis for the IBS line.

I have two of the Micro Bass stacks. I got on there asking if they were the same as the IBS series, and although they aren't labeled as such, their model designations and preamp design are part of the line. They came out first, then were used as a starting point, IIRC.

Mine sound alright, not awesome, with a very middle midrange hump. Not much breakup to be had from the gain structure, and like most Marshall designs, the pots on the eq section don't tend to provide many drastic changes. Very "one trick pony" amps. Mine sound nothing like the Jubilee, but also consider the cab voicing, bass used and playing style.

7. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Good huge bass can cause IBS. :) ....or LBS....or LS....or flaming, oh you get it. :)

Should this be moved to Grumpy Old....or new to the world bassists....200w Diaper Genie...or?
    I guess it Depends.

8. When I am done with a piece of gear I tend to pass it on to someone who needs it more than I do. It’s kinda like paying it forward. :)

9. BasturdBlaster

BasturdBlaster Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2012
    Crandon WI

Me too, I just gave a nice 80s Ibanez to a young fella this past weekend:thumbsup:

10. I sent a BDDI to someone who wanted it. A Peavey Mark VI to a fella here in Canada. Both shipped at my cost. Neither bothered to inform me of their safe arrival.

A musical family I built a bass for obviously needed an amp so I gave them a four space rack case with an ART Tube Channel 359, a Korg Tuner and a Mackie 1400W power amp. To go with it I gave them a speaker cabinet I built years ago with a JBL 2225 and a Celestion Bullet Tweeter in it.

BasturdBlaster likes this.
  11. muddycreek

muddycreek

Feb 26, 2010
    That's probably where I'm headed with this thing. Maybe take two of the older oem eminence 10's I have lying around and put them in a reasonable cabinet. I'm not really plugged into the local music scene anymore, though, need to see if I can actually find someone who could take advantage of it.

BasturdBlaster and BassmanPaul like this.