1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What to do with my band?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by r6mile, Apr 6, 2006.

1. Some friends of mine and I started a "band" a couple of months ago. We had a lead guitar (who by the way is only 14 but he's amazing), a bass (guess who it is), and two rythmics (one was playing acoustic and the other electric). It wasn't really a band, as we were desperately looking for a drummer and singer. A couple of weeks later we found a drummer, who is ok (not "amazign" though). We were really DESPERATE to find a singer so we "hired" a friend of mine who at the time we thought could sing (we were willing to play at a "talent show" in my high school). One of the rythmics (by the way my best friend) later bought a new electric guitar. It was fine at the beginning, but later on one of the rythmics (not my best friend, the other one) started missing some practices and not taking it seriously, so we kinda thought that we should "fire" him, but not yet. Then the singer started complaining because he wanted to play different kinds of music (we were more into the rock/hard-rock kind of music, and he wanted to play some pop-rock/punk-rock), and he is shy so we thought that maybe he wasn't going to be able to sing in front of a 100 people. As my multitasking skills improved, we thought that I could replace him and me the lead singer and bassist. But we continued (maybe we shouldn't have). Then last weekend our jackass lead guitarist said that if the other rythmic didn't leave HE would leave the band. We really didn't want him to leave because it would be impossible to find someone as good as him, but we didn't want the other rythmic to leave because he was a very good friend of all of us. So we had a fight, and our jackass lead guitar left the band. Then we all thought the band was over. We were all kinda sad but the singer looked "happy" in some way. My best friend (the other rythmic) and I started writing our own songs(with me singing) without telling the others, and we thought that it could go somewhere, and we could get the drummer later and form another band. Then later on the jackass said that he had made a big mistake and he wanted the band together again, and we all said: ok that's cool. But I don't think it's gonna be the same after that.
    What do you guys think I should do: continue with this band, or start another one with the drummer and the other guitarist?

P.S: Sorry about the long post...

2. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Starting a band with friends is always difficult because it is difficult to make tough decisions for the benefit of the band. Personally, I would keep the lead, fire the rythym guitarist that is slacking off and keep the band together. Three guitarists is one too many.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

3. bannedwit

bannedwit

May 9, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    I lost a bunch of buddies because of a band. 4 years later we started talking again and they invited me to play in their new band. Things went fine for a couple weeks but after that, I noticed things were still the same and bailed out before things would get rough again. We are still buddies now but I am not going to let that band cause unnecessary crap between us.

4. We all know that three guitarists are too many. Those are the issues with continuing the band:
    -For the benefit of the band I think we should fire the second rythmic but he's a friend and I don't want to lose him.
    -We all know that it was the lead guitarist's fault if the band broke up because he was the one saying: if he doesn't leave, I do (that and other things but the list would be too long to write it here). So what I'm saying is that if he did that once maybe he'll do something like that again, and we don't want that,
    -At our first "gig" (a birthday party with 40 people lol, don't laugh (let me laugh first)) the singer had to call a friend (who by the way is a HORRIBLE singer) to sing with him, because he said he wasn't able to sing alone. So perhaps he won't be able to sing in front of 100 people at our HS talent show (he tried to quit the band once), and we don't want him to quit the band 2 days before the "gig", so that's the problem.

5. Now I guess there's a problem less. The singer just called (30 min ago) and he told me that he can't do it, he doesn't want to sing anymore.

P.S: By the way if you guys want to check out my band's website to see what we look like go here: http://semperfis.tk

6. OK sorry for posting so often but things here are going really quickly.

So now we have no singer, and I'll replace him.

A friend of mine who plays the keyboard (and can also sing) just called me and asked me if he could play in the band. Maybe he wouldn't have to play chords, because there are already 2 rythmics guitarists, but he could combine arpegios, chords, and improvise and that kind of stuff. Do you guys think it would be good to have a keyboard as well?