1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What to do with my Dargie Delight SR5HH

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by atrapp, Jul 30, 2007.

1. atrapp

atrapp

Dec 4, 2006
    Portland, OR
    I recently bought this bass from BartmanPDX, it is basically perfect – but not my style and I’m afraid I’ll ding it.

So what to do?

I don’t need the money so I could store it for a few years… will it increase in value?

Sell it to someone who would play it?

Ideas?

2. atrapp

atrapp

Dec 4, 2006
    Portland, OR
    and no giving it away is not an option.

3. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Sell it. If it's not your cup of tea, that's cool - but for someone else it might be. It would be a shame for such a nice instrument to be kept in a closet as an "investment piece"!

4. +1000
    those basses are amazing in every way, and to keep it would be a shame unless you play it or are very emotionally attached to it.

If I had the money I'd be more than happy to take it off your hands ;)

sadly, college sucks up 99% of my money lol

5. Dbassmon

Dbassmon

Oct 2, 2004
    Rutherford, NJ
    Why would you keep a bass you don't dig? It's a bass that is in demand and will sell easily.

Sell it and get a bass that fits your style. Simple!

6. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Another point - even if the value will go up slightly during your term of ownership, which would give you more satisfaction - the $200 you made after holding on to it over 10 years, or the bass of your dreams that you can find if you have the money from selling the Dargie?

($200 is a random figure - I don't know if the price will go up, down, or sideways. The point is that I think I would enjoy having another bass more than I would an "extra amount of money" in the form of a bass I didn't play!)

7. Double Agent

Double Agent Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    It might increase in value, but you would probably be better off selling it and investing whatever you got from the sale. Even when basses so appreciate in value, they are not good investments. You would be better off to sell and get what you really want. There must be SOMETHING on your GAS list...wireless, effects, speaker cab(s), etc. that you can spend the money on.

8. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

Aha! Now you see why I sold it, Toby. :p

Contact "bongomania," who is local. I bet he'll give you what you paid for it.

It sure is beautiful, but it does seem a little silly as an investment piece. I doubt it will go up a whole heckuva lot in value in the next few years. Better to sell it and find what you're really looking for.

One less bass to store, too.

9. atrapp

atrapp

Dec 4, 2006
    Portland, OR
    Oh I've got what I am looking for in my Benavente...

Bongomania please answer the white courtesy phone.

10. ggunn

ggunn

Aug 30, 2006
    Austin, TX
    No and yes.

11. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I think you answered this yourself. Since you don't need the money, you can afford to let it sit until the price goes up. I'm pretty sure it will since the Dargies are a limited edition model, and yours is mint.

12. As an investment, you would make out much better selling the bass and investing the cash.

13. .:chuck:.

.:chuck:.

Jan 28, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    lose the b-string, throw away a humbucker, and sell it to me! :D

14. atrapp

atrapp

Dec 4, 2006
    Portland, OR
    ;)

15. Ayliffe

Ayliffe

May 8, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    damn :p

16. Crow

Crow

Oct 28, 2006
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Put it in it's case, loosen strings a tad, throw it under the bed & hope a grandchild decides to play bass. That's what my son is doing with his 2005 LE Buttercream Bong HH. Beautiful instrument, but he now realizes that a 5 string was a mistake. He wishes he'd bought a 4 instead.

17. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Why doesn't your son sell the Bongo and get a 4 string?