Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what to do with my fernandes bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by steve-o, May 10, 2002.

1. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    what can i do to make it sound better overall?
    changing necks?
    what?
    don't want to spend a lot of money
    is there any home fix ups?
    it has a musicman type humbucker in the bridge
    and a jazz in the neck

steveclick me to see bass
    it is the standard 4 string

2. dirk

dirk

Apr 6, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    Look into some aftermarket pickups. Seymour Duncan and Bartolina make MM and J pickups. You could also add active electronics that would augment your sound. But first you should try changing the bridge and/or the tuners. Not sure if you should change the neck, that's pretty expensive. And if you haven't already, you should get a good setup, that will make any bass sound better.

Dirk

3. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    1. Get a setup (intonation, neck adjustment, new strings). A setup with new strings is a great way to find out how your bass should sound. It sometimes makes people decide against any other modifications. It's also the easiest way to improve what may be bugging you.

2. Try a pedal like an MXR Bass DI or Sansamp Bass Driver. They make a big difference. They are also easy to use and require no modification to your bass.

3. Add an active preamp. It's usually subtle, but it's inexpensive (compared to getting another bass).

4. Change pickups. Though costly and very invasive to a factory build, I've heard of new pickups making $300 basses sound almost like $1200 basses. Seymour Duncan Basslines makes the replacements that would fit your bass. Bartolini does too, but good luck trying to find them and they cost a fortune.

5. Change Bridge. If all else fails, that would be the last thing I would suggest for your particular bass. The tuners wouldn't be causing many tone problems.

4. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    how would i make it active?
    i just put new strings on it.
    i haven't done a setup i will do it today

5. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    This is battery powered and will really fatten up your sound but with high quality. Lots of variations. It goes for around $100. I also recommend a setup and new strings. The pickups may be an over improvement.

6. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    EMG makes a part called a BTC Control. It is a stacked pot that replaces the tone control and is very easy to install if you have any skills with a soldering gun. The great thing about it is you don't need to have active pickups for it to work. It works with any pickups, passive or active. It requires putting a 9v battery in the cavity, but you should be able to fit it. The foam that comes with the part (or any thin foam) can wrap the battery and keep it in place.
    I got one for about $60 and the guy put it in my bass (back when I didn't know how to do it). They are the cheapest way you can get active tone control (other than really sh!tty stuff) and they work well. Check www.emginc.com for details.

7. Aristotle

Aristotle

May 12, 2002
    Easton, MD
    Hey, I was thinking of purchasing the exact same bass. How does it sound out of the package. Would you recommed it to someone else?:confused:

8. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    ya tottaly man!
    it sounds really good!!
    you can get alot of sounds out of it

9. Aristotle

Aristotle

May 12, 2002
    Easton, MD
    well obviously it sounds great if your that enthusiastic, but how does it feel? is the neck too thick or anything I should know about? how light is it? any problems with dead spots? any of that stuff would be nice.

10. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    mine doesn't have any dead spots.
    it has a nice neck to it.
    it is a little wider than a ibanez gsr 100.
    it inotates fine. it stays in tune for weeks on end!
    the humbucker is very high out put so might want to lower it so you don't get a distortion sound.
    unless you want that. i get compliments on the bass all the time.

steve

how much are you buying it for?
    i might be intrested in selling it to you.
    mine is only a couple of months old if that!
    i saving up to buy either a ric or a stingray.
    i really like funkycanivore's bass that he is selling so i migh be able to part with this for the right price.
    and for a little extra cash i can have it painted any color you want.

11. Yo mopar--I sold my orange Sting Ray 5 this morning, about an hour after I listed it.

12. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnoooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
    i wanted that bass sssssoooo bad.
    how much are they used?
    what did you think of the 5 string.
    also how is the reverend bass?
    i might be intrested in one of those

13. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Exactly what are you after? It sounds like you're happy with the bass, based on my limited experience with Fernandez I would expect the bass to be good quality.

The best way to improve your sound is to practice technique, not add hardware.