Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What to do with my G&L....????

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BigRed, Feb 1, 2005.

1. BigRed

BigRed

Apr 1, 2004
    Palestine, TX
    I've got a G&L LB-100...nice bass...but I don't really ever play it. When I play a fretted, I play my Washburn XB920 so I really have no use for this thing.

I want to make this bass into a fretless, so what's the best way to do this? Take a file to the frets? Buy a fretless neck? Sell it and buy a fretless? I'm at a loss... :scowl:

2. Check the setup forum. There's a sticky about this.

3. dBerriff

dBerriff

Oct 2, 2004
    Oakham, UK
    Ask the guys here:

http://p219.ezboard.com/fthedudepitfrm44

I don't think you can just file the frets. You would have to remove them then fill the slots.

If it is a good example you might be better off selling it (interest in G&L's is growing) and buying a 'proper' fretless with ebony fretboard. Just my opion anyway. Again, the dudepit guys could well be interested.

4. 1954bassman

1954bassman

Jun 7, 2004
    Hickory, NC
    Buy you a decent fretless with the cash. :bassist:

Mark

deManBass

5. +1 Keep your meddling hands off that poor, defenseless G&L!

6. rdhbass

rdhbass

Jun 28, 2003
    Springfield, mo
    I wouldn't alter a G&L anything done to it will devalue it. Sell it to me real cheap and then get you a fretless with the money you have just made.

7. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Yeah
    Sell it REAL cheap so you have to get a crap fretless! :bag:

8. BigRed

BigRed

Apr 1, 2004
    Palestine, TX
    Alrighty...no altering of the current bass. Message received!

My question now becomes this: Is there a factory fretless version of the LB-100? Know of anyone that would consider trading my fretted LB-100 for a fretless LB-100 (or comparable G&L)?

9. LOL!

Yah! You heard it.

10. BigRed

BigRed

Apr 1, 2004
    Palestine, TX
    I played my LB for rehearsal last night. It's different, but it wasn't too bad. It could become my main axe. Who knows. I'll play my next couple of gigs with it just to see what happens.

I have a lot of tweaking to do with the tone. I'm not a big fan of the P-bass sound, so it's an adjustment for me. I walked around the room to get a feel for how my sound blended with the band (overall sound). Not bad.

In the grand scheme of things, I have to compromise my individual tone to make the band's tone sound good. There's just something about that P's tone that makes it hard to blend. The lows are too boomy or the highs are too twangy...it's a subtle balancing act.

11. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    yeah, please sell it...there are enough aftermarket fretless basses out there :(

12. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    +1

Listen to Scott. DO NOT DAMAGE that poor G&L.

13. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Maybe you can talk to the guys in Fullerton and see if you can purchase a replacement fretless neck for it. That way, you have both options available to you.

14. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    sell it!! Unless you are really good at setups or don't mind learning the craft on an otherwise good instrument

15. BigRed

BigRed

Apr 1, 2004
    Palestine, TX
    That would be my favorite option from the very beginning, but I'm not sure what kind of cash flow that will demand. The wife holds the checkbook... :eek: