Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What to do with my old Fender

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by TheExplodingGopher, Jan 12, 2001.

1. TheExplodingGopher

TheExplodingGopher

Jan 12, 2001
    Hey guys, I just ordered a custom Carvin 4 string, which will be my 3rd bass. My main until i get the carvin is a fender active 4 string j-bass and i need to spice it up. The pickups never give me the sound i want, The Eq is useless, and the acoustic sound is somewhat hollow and small. Frets are fine, electronics working fine, just not my sound.

If i order a new neck, will it be difficult to install? Same question with electronics. Is it more effective to pay for installion or should i hack it on my own (I have experience building effects, is this similar?)

Also, being that i have this bass to experiment with, would it make sense to defret the original neck and try that out too? I can't play with a fretless on this bass because i have gigs coming up which require a fretted bass.

Send me some ideas or wacky suggestions with how to spice up the ole fender. Thanks

2. You went in one direction with how the overall sound is lacking but then you suggested changing your neck!!?? Just what do you want this bass to be in the end.

The BEST upgrade for tone without a doubt IMO would be to put in a J-Retro preamp. These are distributed by our own "Dude" (Steve Barr - Vintage Bass Trading Co.) and are a top-of-the-line addition to any bass. They have a 3 band preamp and passive switch with 3 stacked knob configuration. You could even use one without changing your pups. Steve has used them in stock MIM Jazzes with outstanding results. Try this link for more info: http://www.vintagebass.com

If you want to try fretless, why don't you just order the neck as a fretless and swap out? That way you won't destroy the original and can still compare the differences. It's real easy to accomplish.

[Edited by Hambone on 01-13-2001 at 11:43 AM]

3. Give it to me!

4. I agree, the J-Retro is the go!

5. J pickups make great refrigerator magnets, I kid you not.