Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What to do with no band?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by malisent, Jan 11, 2006.

1. I read about people testing their bass in their band to make sure that it sounds right and cuts through and isnt too loud and all and how people are playing in their band, but i was wondering what do people do when they cant get in a band? I go to school and dont know that many other musicians or cant find enough to make a band that i would enjoy. I want to know if there are others like me and what they do. I get discouraged sometimes from playing and don't play for a while then pick up my bass again. Don't get me wrong i love playing, but most of the time i find myself playing to the same songs and a few new ones. I was in one band early last year but when the lead singer and lead guitarist decided to move to scotland, that fell apart. Im curious as to what people do when they arent in a band.

2. niomosy

niomosy

Nov 9, 2002
    Start writing your own stuff. Make a little recording project and work on that. That's what I'm looking at doing, considering I may not do the band thing for quite some time...

3. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
  4. Pruitt

Pruitt

Jun 30, 2005
    Danbury, CT
    Look into one of the many online music collaboration websites. You can do stuff on your own time right from your home and make some beautiful music with excellent musicians of all ages from around the globe. ;)

5. klocwerk

klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    I wasn't in a band for quite some time, and my bass playing fell by the wayside so I know what you mean.
    The trick imho is to always find ways to push yourself. Pick a piece of music (classical is always good for a challenge) and don't rest until you can play it. Pick a Jaco tune, etc. Learn tapping. Get some piccollo strings and figure out what else you can do with a bass.
    There's a giant world of bass out there, and plenty to learn and enjoy.

6. Whether I'm in a band or not, when I have time to myself I'll work with improving and different ideas to mess around with. It's nice to put a chord progression or bass line on loop and work out any ideas over it.
    Example: I've been listening to a lot of ahmad jamal and I'm currently working on spacing and minimalism. Trying to analyze his ideas and style and see if I can take any of those ideas and expand or work them into my style at all. Nice to compare him to Miles and see what Miles read from ahmad's book too. Take this example and look at any musician and also look at any other musicians that have been influenced by that person. At least I find that fun/useful. Working with a teacher also will help analyze any weakpoints in playing and things to work on/flesh out. Good luck!

7. where are some of these websites? and do you know where i can get a program that lets me record some of my own stuff so that i can post it or play around with other beats and stuff?

8. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    There most likely are a lot of playing possibilities right in your own area that you're just not noticing. Go to local churches, look in the paper for information about local community bands, small theatre groups, choirs, etc. Now, a lot of these things may not be your main preference, but they will expose you to a much wider network of musicians and musical opportunities.

If you really want to play, broaden your outlook ..... if you only look for one type of music (metal, folk, country, jazz, etc) it may not be available to you in your immediate area. But if you want to play, accept anything that will allow you to play all of the time ... the rest of the things will fall into place.

Pretty soon you'll be posting up about rehearsals and gigs, too ... :cool:

9. Warwickluvr

Warwickluvr

Dec 26, 2005
    The best thing to do is switch genres. Listen to the opposite type of music that you normally listen to. This will not only improve your ear training, but will help you prevent boring practices. If all you play is "Whats My Age Again" by Blink 182 over and over, you'll want to throw your bass out the window.

Someone mentioned Jaco. I agree. Also look at Sly and The Family Stone for some REAL funk (Try their album "Fresh" for some cool, chill funk or "Life" for more uptempo funk.) By mixing these genres, you'll be able to incorporate new aspects into your playing.

As far as bands go, I was in the same boat. However, I joined my school's jazz band this year and my church's band. I'm no "Jesus-Freak" but at least I'm getting out there and playing with other musicians. People from the audience asked me to jam with them after seeing me play at church. Before, they never would have guessed that I play bass.

What's most important is that you "advertise" yourself as an experienced bass player. People talk, and from this, you'll get people asking for you to play with them.

10. with regards to the types of music that i play, My favorite band is The Red Hot Chili Peppers, but i play and listen to anything from Audioslave, to Counting Crows. (and yes even some country thanks to my girlfriend). So i think that the variety is good. More funk is what i love playing so i will have to try and find some more music from these other bands that you all are sugguesting.

11. Pruitt

Pruitt

Jun 30, 2005
    Danbury, CT
    Here's a few...

http://www.newaffair.com/

http://guitarjamspace.bravehost.com/

http://echoprojectstudio.org/index.shtml

http://fjam.zapto.org/enter/

The link in my sig is stuff from a virtual band I'm currently involved with at one of the above sites (F-Jam), if you want to check some stuff out. It's a pop/rock style band. But I've collaborated on a lot of different genres there in the short time I've been doing this stuff. There's some talented people out there looking for bassists. I'm constantly getting PMed to see if I'm available to work on someone's stuff there and I suck!! lol ;)

Good luck and have fun! :bassist:

12. Thanks for the links Pruit. Ill have to check these out and hopefully ill have a lot more stuff that i can do!!

13. does anyone know where i can download some recording program for a PC thats not to complicated?

14. Pruitt

Pruitt

Jun 30, 2005
    Danbury, CT
    I'm sure you'll find plenty of people to work with. Most of the "bassists" I've heard on these sites are either guitarists, attempting to play bass, or keyboardists playing basslines on their keyboards through midi. Go figure... lol... :rolleyes:

As far as recording software goes, google "Audacity". It's free and wil suit your needs at first. ;)

Have Fun!! :bassist:

15. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    Another possbility, if not already mentioned, is go take some lessons. I have been playing for over 20 years and haven't played with a band in over a year so I started taking lessons to learn some new techniques.

16. Pruitt

Pruitt

Jun 30, 2005
    Danbury, CT
    +1,000

17. play along with a stereo, once you learn the basic bass line, work with improv and what not. im in a band and i still do this just to learn little variations to throw in when were writing a new song or playing old ones.

18. Thats what i find myself doing all of the time. Im getting tired of it though. Plus sometimes i run out of bass lines that i like or would like to play. It gets old ya know?:(

19. You have any other programs that you know of that includes its own drum lines and other stuff like that that i can mix my own music with?

20. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Record yourself, play with it. I'm playing a bit of guitar and keys to pull it off.