1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What to do with old Aria Pro II SB

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by KingCrimson, Nov 4, 2013.

1. KingCrimson

KingCrimson

Oct 6, 2008
    Hello everybody, I recently acquired an old Aria Pro II SB (I think its a 600) for a steal of 140$ . My only problem is that this bass was RAVAGED. The previous owner ripped out the frets without filling em in, painted it poorly and REROUTED the damn thing for two emg "select" j pickups.

My question is what should I do to this thing? Or what should i drop in it. I want to use the original route so i want a soapbar. I won't use the other routes and just leave em empty.

Any ideas on what I should drop in this thing, it would be cool to get it similar to the Cliff Burton Aria but I can't find anywhere to buy the SB pickups and electronics.

As well there are 3 holes for controls. I would like to fill in each of them with something useful.

here is a pic

Attached Files:

2. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Can't help you with the pickup choices but the body on that thing is beautiful. Good luck with the project.

3. Are you sure it's an Aria bass? The headstock is shaped more like an 80s era Vantage.

4. Alembic83

Alembic83 Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2005
    Salem, Oregon
    If it's a bolt-on it's an SB-600. Do you have a closeup of the headstock and a picture of the back?

As for what to do with it, I'm in a similar situation with a mauled SB-1000 I picked up in Japan:

butcheredSB1000body.

In my case I decided to go for the Cliff Burton treatment! I just dropped it off to a luthier in Korea and it's going to be re-fretted (neck was warped when I got it), have those P/J holes filled in, and then refinished all black. I will post a thread later as I get updates.

If you are good at DIY then I would try to fix it up how you like, but the condition of my 1000 is way beyond me so I just look at it as buying a "new bass"! It's still going to be a lot cheaper than an SB Re-Issue and especially the Cliff Burton tribute model.

As for a pickup, you can always get an Aria pickup replacement. I've heard this guy makes very good ones:
    http://www.rautiaguitars.net/aria-pro-ii.html

Also Reed James makes a replacement (sorry don't have the link offhand but you can Google it).

5. tomydacat

tomydacat Supporting Member

Jul 14, 2009
    RVA
    What a cool find and i came across my Aria Pro BnG 1 and i love it hopefully this will be a fun rebuild for you. it looks awesome in GREEN and Alembic 83 is they guy to talk to too..

6. KingCrimson

KingCrimson

Oct 6, 2008
    its actually a set neck, so i am assuming it is an sb 600. The body looks like ash. I am on lunch now but when i get back home i will post more pics. Does anybody know if you can buy an emg soapbar and add a solit coil. I'm on the fence for emgs, nordstrands or the original setup.

7. Alembic83

Alembic83 Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2005
    Salem, Oregon
    Any new pics yet KingCrimson? I hope you can get this bass up and running again.