Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What to do with the Mesa 1516?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by popinfresh, Mar 22, 2005.

1. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    So I had a bit of a chat on here with natrab last night, and he gave me some idea's etc.

Now, to set the story (Feel free to skip if you allready know whats going on with my cab/amp troubles).. When i got the Mesa, i was a little dissapointed with it volume wise and also the full low end was missing. I used it at band practice last friday with my Warwick Pro Fet III amp. Now, the Warwick doesn't have much headroom, and i was pushing it in the red on the limiter and lipping past the limiter on occasions with the amp pushed at about 8 or 9 volume.. I really didn't want to do this, but knowing there was a hired Ampeg SVT-3 Pro on the way, i kept trying to keep up with the others for a short time.
    First thing i noticed that something was starting to go wrong was the 15" started to seem like it was coming out and moving back in slower (I thought it might actually be the light though, it was getting dark, yet not dark enough for lights in the house, you know that time..). I proceded playing for a little longer before realising the 15" did indeed have something wrong. The dust cap was coming in and out like it should, but the actual speaker part was moving very slowly in and out. The hired ampeg came just after i stopped and i plugged it in. The volume was a bit better (Still had to push the ampeg pretty hard, though most know this head lacks volume for it's rating) but the 15 was still moving slowly (a little glue was leaking out around the seal too). I started to then run the cab stereo, using only the top half. Whilst the volume dropped considerably, i didn't want to hurt the 15 further.
    When i got home, i pushed in the dust cap with my fingers and when i pushed right in, theres a little bit of grating. But it seems to be moving OK now..
    Now, also, when i push the cab or dig in with my fingers, the 10" (It's a 300W eminence, not an origninal) kind of distorts.

SO! To my problem.
    *Note* When I say this cab lacks volume/fullness, i'm talking about it being owned in both areas by a SINGLE SWR WorkingMans 15" speaker cab.
    Should I:
    A) Wait until i get a new amp before making any decisions, get a nice loud amp with alot of headroom and see how this cab performs.
    B Sell the cab now and go back to using my SWR's for now. I could probably get around 1000-1500 for it, it still seems to perform allright, just not with my amp and when it's cranked.. The only main reason i'd want to sell it for another cab is the volume troubles. No point carrying this beast around if my single 15 SWR will be bigger sounding than it.
    C Get the speakers look at (Which i'll be doing anyway I suppose) and if there is any damage, get them replaced (EV's cost a LOT of money though)
    D Try to sell EVERYTHING and get a nice combo or a whole new setup. I could sell the mesa for $1000-1500. The Warwick for around $800. The two SWR cabs for around $450-500 each. Plus i have a BMX worth $450-500 and a part time job (lacking hours at the moment though). So all up, i'd have around $3150 to $3800 at best (Maybe around $4000 flat if my parents chipped in and i waited a little while). My birthday is coming up, so i might be able to get some help from parents.

Price wise over here, gear is expensive (and used market isn't very big). A Mesa 400+ new is $4300, Pulse 600's are around $3800. I could import a cab and save a few dollars and maybe get an amp and change the voltage (Though i don't know if i want to run a whole rig at risk with no warranty, especially the amp if it's a newy).
    I wouldn't mind a really loud combo for now that i could expand on, but bear in mind that my band plays LOUD (Randall/line 6 stack and Fender Cybertwin stack).

Tone wise, i'm looking for something with full and big bottom, that can get nice punch yet could also get a bit gritty (Tubes in an amp with o/d is nice). (I always wanted an Aggy or, now Mesa 412 cab, imported, i could get one for around $2000)

So what do you guys think? Should i sell everything? Should I just buy a new amp (Been looking at thunderfunks and used Mesa basiss 2000's). Should I replace the speakers in the mesa or leave it?
    Whatever happens, i want a LOUD rig. I was always told this 1516 cab was loud, i was pretty dissapointed with it's volume (So maybe something has been wrong from the start). But i'm just sick of putting out all this money (around $3400 or so) for a rig that isn't very audible.

Thanks!

2. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    By the way. I don't mind having a bigger cab. But if i was to get say an aggy 412, then i'd be keeping my SWR 15 for band practices (Lowering the total i can spend). So perhaps two 212's would be better in that sense.
    Although I like a big wall of amps behind me, i'm also open to smaller compact amps that could do loud gigs.

3. Hmmm selling all your stuff would give you a fair bit of cash, but like you said, gear is expensive over here. I'm pretty sure an Aggie 412 would set you back about 3 grand alone.

If I were you I'd get the Mesa cab looked at thoroughly, replace all the speakers if you need to, then see how it performs after that.

If the cab improves, then I'd look at selling everything else and getting a nice Hybrid head (All-tube amps are real pricey here). I think the Mesa cab would benefit from a better head IMO.

If the cab still doesn't suit you, then sell everything and start over. You could get a nice rig for that price. It's all up to you.

4. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Yeah, i was thinking if i didn't import an Aggy 412. I could sell the Mesa, and a cab and try get an Aggy 212 or something for now from over here, try adding another 212 or 15 or something later.

Or look at some cheaper stuff. I mean, i'll have GAS for sure, but after this rig is sorted out, i don't want to spend any money on gear for a good year or so (Got a ute to do up as well).

5. I've looked into the GS212, it was gonna cost me $2000, after discount, which is insane when you consider how much you can pick it up for in America. Australia really is crap for buying gear.

6. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Ouch. Indeed it is.

I e-mailed a guy at Mesa, and he said i'd only need to get two parts changed in their amps for them to work over here. So i think i'l do that.. Get a used Basis 2000 off ebay (Or a tb'er ;) ) and get it shipped here.. That should cost around $1300-1400 max. Leaving me (If i save a little bit more, which is easily done as i won't need to sell everything for an amp) with around 2500-3000 for a cab. I'm not sure though if i'd only want say a 412 if this is the path i went. As i'd like a 15 or 2x12 for band practices.

7. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    What do you guys think? What would be my best option?