1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What to do with this bass??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by alanloomis1980, Oct 8, 2019 at 11:10 AM.

1. Do the bare minimum, keep as backup

37 vote(s)
    43.0%
  2. Fix it, sell it, own one bass

5 vote(s)
    5.8%
  3. Fix it, sell it, buy a cheap J

4 vote(s)
    4.7%
  4. Make it real purdy

19 vote(s)
    22.1%
  5. Something I haven’t thought of

8 vote(s)
    9.3%
  6. Something involving carrots. Maybe soup

13 vote(s)
    15.1%
  1. Hevy T

Hevy T Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Lethbridge, AB Canada
    Maybe get a set of EMG Geezers to throw in there! I have heard nothing but good about them.

My personal fave is the Seymore Duncan SPB 3 and SJB 3 with CTS pots. It's a modded Squier Jazz that sounds and plays amazing
    j10.

Attached Files:

PWRL, drumvsbass, Zoobiedood and 3 others like this.
  2. interp

interp Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2005
    Garmisch, Germany
    FWIW, my simple rule is if any gear or instrument hasn’t made me money or given me enjoyment from using it in the past six months it’s gotta go.

andruca and alanloomis1980 like this.
  3. MotorCityMinion

MotorCityMinion

Jun 15, 2017
    Well, you asked. $180. is relative to your disposable income. There's no doubt about it though, the bass community as a whole would call it cheap. "You love the look and feel, the neck is fantastic." It sounds like you found a keeper. Demo some pick-ups and put them in there.

4. alanloomis1980

alanloomis1980 Supporting Member

Dec 2, 2016
    Ithaca Ny
    That’s a good point. I’ve always stuck to the narrative that “I don’t like flats” but I was playing a Precision in the store the other day strung with flats, and it was really fun to play. Any recommendations for flats, for a guy who doesn’t like flats?

I’ve been playing a long while, but only recently been narrowing down preferences. I’m attracted to the simplicity of the P, and just playing the same bass in general. It’s my personality to go overboard with minimalism, but sometimes I have to check myself! :roflmao:

Every step of the process, fretwork, soldering, setup, neck swapping... I’ve made mistakes, but learned something every time. Gotta start somewhere, right? :D

That bass is gorgeous! Nice Duck Dunn-Esque vibe going on:thumbsup:

I’ve played some gigs with this, but recently it’s been on the bench. I’m so torn with it, cause it plays so well (and I enjoy playing it if it’s not plugged in ! ) so I think if I get the electronics squared away, it will meet those criteria

Malak the Mad likes this.
  5. zubrycky

zubrycky

Aug 22, 2011
    If you really like that particular bass' ergonomics and if you decided to keep it, do everything necessary to make the bass work for you.

JRA, Malak the Mad and alanloomis1980 like this.
  6. alanloomis1980

alanloomis1980 Supporting Member

Dec 2, 2016
    Ithaca Ny
    yeah, cheap in terms of all basses; but my point was it wasn’t exactly a pawn shop score. Thanks for the perspective- I actually bought this on reverb blind, because it’s a P bass with a J neck. So right there, that saves me some time and money. As tempting as it is to just order some pickups, I should probably just get this thing operational again, and go from there!

Malak the Mad likes this.
  7. GrapeBass

GrapeBass

Jun 10, 2004
    Toronto
    Graphic designer: Yorkville Sound
    Upgrade the electronics (incl. cap), p/ups are also recommended to change (EMG Geezers or Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounders) and most definitely either some nickel round wounds or flats depending what YOU like and want.

IMG_5209.

drumvsbass and alanloomis1980 like this.
  8. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    Hi Alan :)

Looks like you have a keeper! => Don' t sell it!

Right! :thumbsup:

And Squiers are great modding platforms!

Used/ new pups, electronics, pickguards etc. everything is availible!

You can find all ingredients to cook a world class carrot soup!

Mod it!

greetings

Wise(b)ass

P.S. don' t forget the salt! ;)

JRA, alanloomis1980 and Reedt2000 like this.
  9. rohi

rohi Lead Lined Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2018
    Philadelphia
    I can never find the sweet spot to getting a good tone with a PJ. Maybe it's just me, but they always sound like a beefier P.

In my humble opinion, I'd convert it to a P and be done with it. It'd be a good backup, and everyone needs a decent P in their life.

alanloomis1980 likes this.
  10. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

I’ve pretty much always used either LaBellas or TIs depending on the bass. But I’ve also used GHS Precision Flats and Chromes and liked those too, except I only liked the Chromes on the Matt Freeman sig I mentioned in my earlier post.

The GHS flats are a light gauge set which I’ve currently got on on a JB. Light gauge flats give a JB a very different sonic personality. Brought me back to my days in my cousin’s band when I was is my teens. I was playing his JB. And he had it strung with flats like many players did back in 1970. Trip down memory lane! ;):laugh:

11. Eilif

Eilif Holding it down in K-Town.

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    You're at a crossroads that many many TB'ers have experienced.
    You have a bass you like and it was cheap, but upgrades are going to approach the price of the instrument. You've already made the initial investment, and you'd take a bath on resale so if you really like the bass I'd go ahead and upgrade.

First off, pots and a jack aren't going to do much to improve the tone of mediocre pickups. If you want a P/J set that's going to play well together and be an improvement on what you have, you're probably going to spend $100+ anyway even before the rest of the guts.

Secondly It's been said already but -if you like the feel of the bass as much as you say- I highly recommend the EMG Geezer set. A complete package of pups and guts that is perfectly matched and ridiculously easy to install.

A big part of the charm of the Geezer Buttler set is that all the wiring (including a jack) is included and no soldering is required.

Have you heard the Geezer pups? Don't be put off by the EMG brand. They're basically the definition of a vintage P-bass sound with the advantage of having a hum canceling J.

Here's a set for under $130 shipped.
    EMG GZR-PJ Geezer Butler Signature P/J Bass Passive Pickup Set

12. You like the feel but dislike the sound - tough decision!

If you lean towards a vintage sound, I'd recommend putting in a set of Aguilar 4PJ-HC pickups...but it will cost you about the same kind of money you paid for the whole bass! The P-pickup in that set totally has that iconic P-bass sound. This is what I've used in my custom headless PJ, and ironically despite its modern looks it sounds way more vintage than my vintage-looking G&L LB-100.

Another thing to consider if you really favor soloing the P pickup is using 3-way switch/master volume/master tone controls instead of V/V/T controls. Once you adjust the pickup heights to get the blend you like, you get two or three very usable tones (I never solo the bridge, personnally) without any fidgeting, and it keeps the J pickup completely out of the circuit when you want to solo the P. I've found the middle position (both pickups on) useful on a few occasions.

alanloomis1980 and Malak the Mad like this.
  13. gidbass

gidbass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    I'd drop in a Dimarzio Model P/J set and call it done after shaving the bridge pickup so it fits like someone suggested.

Good Luck!

alanloomis1980 and interp like this.
  14. drumvsbass

drumvsbass

Aug 20, 2011
    Winnipeg
    By what I'm hearing is that the physical bass you like, a lot, and you bought for $180. Total score. Upgrade everything that at all feels cheap or bugs you starting with the pickups. GZR Emgs will pretty much make any plank of wood sound great so, that's a safe bet.

~~~

A little background. I used to work at a music store. I can tell you 100% that spending more $$$ won't get a you a better feeling/sounding piece of wood (better looking for sure), because... no one at any major guitar manufacturer is tapping on planks of wood deciding which ones go in the squires and which ones go in the custom shops. The rest is CNC machined. So if you find a piece of wood that has been fashioned into a bass shaped object and it seems happy to be there and sounds great acoustically, yet you plug it in and it sounds of mosquitos, the hard work has been done. Drop some quality parts on the thing and then voila, you have the thing that many people pay loads of money for and have spent a fraction of the cost. An instrument that really plays and speaks to you and sounds great on a budget that allows you to modify without hesitation or worry in the future. I sold a lot of Mexican Fenders.

15. john m

john m Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2006
    Verify “fried electronics”.

Probably fixable without spending $$$.

then sell it.

16. I owned a Fender Aerodyne P/J briefly. It led me to conclude that P/J's just don't work very well passive. I even tried a set of Duncan pickups made for the task; still didn't like it at all-they just won't blend well. So I'd sell it. Fix it back to how it was and sell.

17. Buy a new set of pots.

Find someone who can solder.

Have them hook up the P pickup and leave the J pickup isolated.

??????*

Profit.

*I would put in a varitone here, but do what you want

18. TrevorR

TrevorR

Oct 3, 2015
    Near London, UK
    I wondered if an option might be to add a three way mini switch to act as a pickup selector. That way you could truly solo either pickup without any of the "pickups loading each other and messing with the tone of both" issues which a number of P/J owners seem to stress about. That would leave the option to upgrage either or both pickups later on.

alanloomis1980 and Malak the Mad like this.
  19. TrevorR

TrevorR

Oct 3, 2015
    Near London, UK
    One with flats, one with rounds!

alanloomis1980, Wisebass and 40Hz like this.
  20. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

That too! Although I was never too keen about the sound of rounds on any of the PBs I’ve owned. At least not so far. ;)