1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What to do with this bass??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by alanloomis1980, Oct 8, 2019 at 11:10 AM.

1. Do the bare minimum, keep as backup

37 vote(s)
    43.0%
  2. Fix it, sell it, own one bass

5 vote(s)
    5.8%
  3. Fix it, sell it, buy a cheap J

4 vote(s)
    4.7%
  4. Make it real purdy

19 vote(s)
    22.1%
  5. Something I haven’t thought of

8 vote(s)
    9.3%
  6. Something involving carrots. Maybe soup

13 vote(s)
    15.1%
  1. dabbler

dabbler

Aug 17, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    Different strokes for different folks.

Since you like the feel, it's worth spending some time, maybe money too, to make it sound like you want to.

What I would do is rewire it this way:
    1. Rewire the neck pup into a switchpot volume pot putting its coils in series or parallel.
    2. Put another switchpot in the tone position that wires the 2 pups in series or parallel (in parallel mode each pup will hi to their respective volume pot, in series mode only the neck volume pot will be active).

The range of tones at your disposal will give you a very wide palette to play with and I'd be surprised if you didn't find something you liked. But if you didn't, you could always does more money and try new pups.

alanloomis1980 likes this.
  2. DrStein

DrStein

Nov 8, 2009
    Athens, Greece
    Because this site is called talkbass.
    If it was called talkshoes people would talk about their shoes (ok you can't apply so many skills on your new shoes (there are subforums for this - football shoes!) but you get the point).

Though I also hate too much consumerism people often do this kind of things, especially about something they love... :bassist:

3. dabbler

dabbler

Aug 17, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    Well, a couple of things could be happening.

I myself have bought basses on a whim because it was a SDOTD on MF (my Ibanez ATK was one of these, and I'm soo glad I did!). I am a J kinda guy, but I get curious what others see in other configurations. When I play a J in a store, I know pretty quickly if it's something I would like to take home, but for others, not so much. LIVING with those impulse buys for a while has sometimes brought me to an appreciation for them, sometimes not. But my point is I would NEVER have found that out if I hadn't actually bought it and lived with it.

Also, being the curious type that I am, I have on occasion bought a bass as a project to try something I've never had or seen before.

Both of these types of buys have been eye openers. And since i consider myself somewhat of a student of bass, I consider these trials, experiments or whatever you want to call it part of my bass education or, as I like to call it, my bassucation.

Different strokes for different folks.

4. alanloomis1980

alanloomis1980 Supporting Member

Dec 2, 2016
    Ithaca Ny
    I like it, just don’t love it. I love the neck, so I want to want it. I feel I do need a back up, so that’s why I bought it!
    This place would be pretty boring if no one had any questions, and no one shared their opinions in a constructive manner!

First time in my life I’ve owned 2 (electric) basses at one time. I’m not much of a tone chaser, pickup swapper, string trader....
    so I do try and be mindful of making the most of what I buy and not “consuming” too much, too often.

That’s how I approach these things. We all make mistakes, but if we don’t learn from them, that’s when we’re in trouble!

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019 at 8:08 AM
    Reedt2000 likes this.
  5. DrStein

DrStein

Nov 8, 2009
    Athens, Greece
    I know mate, I wasn't referring to you. I am also much worse than you and I wouldn't even put "consumerism" and "Squier" on the same sentence regardless if it may be a great example of a bass or anything (you know how I mean it). Rock on!

6. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

00 images2b3.
    OP: man, if you really, really like the feel of the thing = it's worth some effort and enough expense to make it 'correct' and usable for yourself...just sayin' --- in any case, good luck with your decisions! let us know how it works out! :thumbsup:

i have several axes that were purchased as 'cheap' and then i spent hundreds more to 'upgrade' the playing experience. but they are 'perfect' for me, so: you either play them yourself or sell them to someone who can/will.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019 at 9:18 AM
    alanloomis1980 and Malak the Mad like this.
  7. alanloomis1980

alanloomis1980 Supporting Member

Dec 2, 2016
    Ithaca Ny
    Update:

I decided to go simple, and wired it back up as a P bass. I got full size CTS 250k pots, a switchcract Jack, and some nice p bass knobs. Also fitted that black guard on! :cool:

but the biggest development in the story is the set of chromes I put on here. Went with the chromes simply because it was the only flat in stock at my local store , and I was in a “shop local” mood. (Also learned D’Adarrio is based in NY state!)

This is my first set of flats- Not sure how I will like them in a live setting, but they sure are fun to play! Special shout out to @40Hz for the push to try em!

thanks everyone for weighing in!

AAFF235C-4D8E-44BE-8358-C4AE44C96FD3.

8. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    Hi Alan :)

Sounds better than the white one! :D

I' ll bet you will be surprised what they can do, especially with the tone wide open!

greetings

Wise(b)ass