What to do with this bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jbasso, Mar 12, 2006.

1. jbasso

Mar 1, 2006
    Hugo, MN
    Background info: First bass was an Ibanez gsr100, just recently purchased my sr905, so the gsr gets no playtime at all, to be honest it plays like ****.

So I figure, I need to do something with it... It needs new strings, and a good setup, and even then it wont sound great, so I figure whats the point, it wont sell very high anyway. So then I was thinking, how practical is it if I sold it in seperate parts. Body, neck, bridge, tuners, electronics, knobs, etc. I see these basses selling for no more than 50-75 on ebay...

Any thoughts? Should I just buy a cheap set of strings, set it up, and sell it for 50-75+shipping, or should I sell it in parts?

Thanks for your opinions!
  2. ebe9

Feb 26, 2006
    South Africa
    Keep it as a project bass.

Here are some things you can do:

- Upgrade the pickups
    - De-Fret it
    - Upgrade the electronics (new pre-amp etc)
    - Change the neck

Just some ideas. If you do go this way, work out if it will be worthwhile to you i.e. the "you can polish a turd, but it's still a turd" deal

Edit: If you have a look at the Bass Forum on www.musicianforums.com there is a chap looking for a cheap bass, might be worthwhile looking into. The title of the thread is "Great bass for recording?"
  3. jbasso

Mar 1, 2006
    Hugo, MN
    Thats also something I was looking into, but I am afraid after de-fretting it, it will sound horrible.

I have an itch to do it though, I wont be missing anything if I mess up on the de-fretting job, but I am confident I can do it.

thanks for your input
  4. ebe9

Feb 26, 2006
    South Africa
    Go for the de-fret then, since it sounds like you are pretty much going to toss it away otherwise.

Quick question, what are the body, neck and fretboard woods?

Edit: once again..........have a look at the Bass Forum Resources section of www.musicianforums.com there is a pretty good guide to de-fretting a bass on there
  5. jbasso

Mar 1, 2006
    Hugo, MN
    Maple Neck
    Agathis Body
    Rosewood Fretboard
  6. ERIC31

Jul 1, 2002
    Maricopa, AZ
    Maybe you should find a local kid that is just dying to play bass and give it to him. I did that with a friend of mine. Her son wanted to start playing bass but money was tight. I was buying a new bass so I decided to give him my old Jackson. The stoke on his face when he got it was worth a lot to me. It felt really good. It was something I wish someone had done for me when I was 11-12 or so.
  7. ebe9

Feb 26, 2006
    South Africa
    Just a few suggestions......

Router out the pickup holes and replace the existing ones with maybe some of the following:
    -Barts (I have them in my Cort B4FL Frettless and they give a beautiful mellow bassy sound with plenty of grunt, should I want it)
    -Seymour Duncan Basslines (Have heard good things)
    -MEC's (Got a warwick corvette $$ and loving the moster sized pups in it)

Potentially contact warmoth about a neck if you really want to go all out, otherwise a good epoxy coating on the neck once you have de-fretted it and filled the gaps.

If you can, after the de-fretting part is done fill the gaps with actual wood rather than wood putty, could always try maple again to get a nice offset colour contrast with the rosewood.
  8. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Just keep it around in your closet. SOmetime down the road you will be glad you still have your first bass.
  9. Standalone

Jan 17, 2005
    New Haven
    +1 on ERIC31's donate idea! The instant Karma will shoot out of your fingers like lightning bolts through your new 905's Pickups! Bzzzzzzt!
  10. I think the first bass is a very sentimental (sp?) object whether or not you realize it or not. I never used to think of how much I valued my Peavey until I got my Ibanez 6 string.. The six string gets very very little play time against the Peavey ( I think I'm a passive <6 strings kind of guy... and it needs new strings and a setup bad.) I will never get rid of my first bass! :D

11. MagnaKen

Jan 17, 2006
    Redland, Oregon
    +1 on the donation to some kid in middle/high school. they could end up being the next Jaco, and it was all because of you.
  12. instigata

Feb 24, 2006
    New Jersey
    i'll never have my first bass back. a borrowed from school fender mustang. black, black block inlays, black guard. i don't even recall wjhat it sounded or played like, honestly. but i liked it. maybe one day i can buy it from the teacher, if its still around :(.
  13. dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    The donation idea sounds very admirable; but only if you know a kid who really wants to learn, not just throw in the closet in a month or smash it to bits.

The defretting idea sound dicey to me on such a cheap bass. I wouldn't do it.

I say hold on to it and keep it as a backup if you plan on playing out. It might be worth an upgrade in pickups if you score something used on the cheap. I think replacing the neck, installing a fancy preamp, and throwing in hundreds of dollars into a cheap starter bass is really impractical. If you scored some Seymour P&J Quarter Ponders for say, $60 or so, took it to a tech for a proper set up with good strings; you'd likely have a pretty good back up bass on the cheap. THAT makes sense to me. However, I wouldn't take it any further than that or yr just throwing yr money away.

In the meantime, enjoy that SR 905. That is one sweet playing and sounding bass!