Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What to do with this stray dog?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Mike Money, Oct 19, 2005.

1. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    I went outside for a walk a few minutes ago... and found a stray dog.

with a leash.

obviously been around people because once i coaxed him with food, he was all over me like i was his owner...

he had no tags.

right now, he is tied to the bumper of my truck with food and water...

wait till the morning and call animal control?

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Do you have any dogs? Are you capable of hanging onto one for a short time? Gentle or what?

I'd wait til morning and contact animal control. If they're sounding like they'll put it down if they don't find the owner, I wouldn't turn the dog in, but rather post flyers, get word out that you found a dog and hold onto him until you can find the owner.

Good chances are you'll find the owner rather soon.

3. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Animal control around my parts will only keep him for 10 days before they put him down. If you can, keep him with you to avoid animal control at all costs. Not bad people I think, they just have policies that most animal lovers don't agree with.

If he was in the n'hood and had a leash on, someone will be looking for him either by word of mouth or putting up a flyer.

Basically everything Tim just said! :D

4. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    Flyers are a great idea... I'd even go door-to-door, at least in your immediate area.

Avoid giving it to animal control, because their job isn't to care for animals until their owners come, it's to eliminate threats. The fact that they hold animals at all is just a way to prevent killing poor Fluffy in the name of rabies prevention. Contact local humane societies and vets, because if this dog had a leash, someone's looking for it, and they'll be posting information and contacting relevant services.

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Oh yeah, if there's a popular dog place in town that people walk them, take him there. Other dog owners may recognize the dog and know the owner.

6. If the dog had a leash on it, it probably belongs to someone and got loose. I would call all the veternarian offices, pet supply stores, and local ASPCA in your and surrounding area and give them a discription of the dog. They probably seen the dog around. Also, You can take a digital picture of the dog and create flyers. Place flyers outside the nearest food and home centers in your neighborhood. also and email the pic to the vet and ASPCA. You are doing a great thing in trying to find the home for the lost dog.

Good Luck

7. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Personally I'd get into the underground dog fighting ring. I mean, you don't have any money in him so why not?

brad cook

8. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Does this thread make anyone else hungry?

9. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    It turns out he is a pitbull...

I thought he was when I saw him, but as I coaxed him over with turkey slices, his snout looked to long to me to be a pit...

Then my mom went to walk our dogs, and she wen't around the cars and across the lawn, and this dog snapped his leash handle off of his chain.

I don't think he would have hurt my dogs... He seemed to just be sniffing until my half chow/half sheperd started barking at him.. while she was being held in the air by my stepdad. She's a little scrapper. :smug:

So ya... We called animal control. Hes locked in my compound right now...

10. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    I would call a local animal rescue, not AC. The animal rescue will be able to scan him for a chip (many dogs have small microchips implanted in their necks that have owner ID info). Animal Control won't bother, he'll go in a kennel for a week and be euthanized.

Get him to someone who can scan for the chips though. If he isn't chipped you should try to find the owner through the above methods and keep him if you don't. Its obvious in that case that he's supposed to be your dog :)

11. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California

Can't keep him. we have two already. thats plenty.

12. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Calling animal control is the right thing to do. Pits aren't anything to screw around with, no matter how tame they seem to be at first.

13. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Another thing to think of. Local Animal Control or the Pound is probably the first place anyone who lost a dog would go to. I know if my little guy ran off without tags that would be the first place I'd go.

14. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Not to sound cold hearted but anyone who allows a pit bull to escape under any circumstances probably should not have a pit bull.

In this case I would call animal control.

He is a scrapper but he has the potential to be a child killer.

15. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    This is how I ended up with three..... the original plan was to have one..... :meh:

:D

16. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    We have a lot of stray cats that are nice, don't cause harm so they just hang out in the front yard. It's a good system. We feed you, you don't claw things or defecate on the porch.

17. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    :rolleyes:

You should be a newspaper writer.

Doesn't ANY decent-sized dog have the potential to be "a child killer?" Breeding, raising and temperament of each individual dog has a lot more to do with aggression than the dog's general breed.

brad cook

18. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    +1

I hate it when uneducated people go and say Rotts, Pitts, GSD, Dobers or even Boxers are kiddie killers. :rolleyes:

http://www.atts.org/statistics.html

19. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    + 1

20. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Are you +1ing your +1 now?

brad cook