1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What To Do With What I Have

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jwsamuel, Apr 6, 2006.

1. jwsamuel

jwsamuel

Apr 26, 2004
    I need some opinions on a decision I have to make regarding my bass gear. For reasons of money, space and actual need, I have to cut down to one bass.

I currently have the following:

MIM Fender Precision with Gotoh 201 bridge and Fender Original 62 P-Bass Pickup

MIM Fender Jazz Bass with Gotoh 201 bridge and Fender J-Bass 60s Pickups

Squier body in a PJ configuration with Lace Sensor pickups.

Here are what I see as my options:

1. Sell everything but the Precison and keep it.

2. Sell everything but the Jazz and keep it.

3. Put the Precision neck on the Squier body and sell off everything else.

4. Sell everything and get something else for about $300.

I am primarily a guitar player and need a bass for only occasional use. The type of music is moslty rock, blues and country.

My inclination is to keep the Precision but I am not sure if that is the best route to go to have one bass that would be the most versatile of the options.

Thanks for your thoughts,

Jim

2. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    if i could only keep 1 bass i would have a jazz, because you've got those 2 pus for tonal variation. if you don't need that so much, and you don't mind the fatter neck, the p is a classic bass. but i personally like the jbass. cheers

3. jwsamuel

jwsamuel

Apr 26, 2004
    You have just summed up my indecision. The P-Bass is the classic, but the Jbass is more versatile. Also, the JBass neck may be better for me because I am primarily a guitar player.

Jim

4. Id keep the Jazz, or see if you can find one of the Fenders that have a "P" p'up and a jazz p'up. To me though I'd stick with the Jazz.

5. jwsamuel

jwsamuel

Apr 26, 2004
    That's what I would have if I use the Squier body.

Jim

6. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Ah, then how about putting the Jazz neck on the Squier body, and swapping out the pickups as well?

7. jwsamuel

jwsamuel

Apr 26, 2004

That would work. Then I could put the stock MIM pickup and stock Fender bridge back onto the Precision body and sell it as a stock Precision.

Jim

8. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    If you could only keep one of them, I would also keep the Jazz bass. That's a tough choice, though.