What to do without a bass for 1.5 months.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by MCBTunes, Mar 22, 2005.

1. Well, I've just been getting huge into bass.... loving every minute of it.... but I'm joinging the Canadian army reserve and wont beable to even look at it for a month and a half. I don't want to lose all my skills :)

Are there books that I can learn from without being able to reinforce it on the bass?

What do you guys do when your bassless? I've already considered going air guitar, but I dont think Sarg will approve :).

Most of all I dont want to lose interest because I've just gotten back into it the last few months
  2. xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    i find when i dont have my bass around i jerk off more.
  3. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Just listen to music non-stop (if possible.) Bring your bass maybe?
  4. johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    I'm not sure what the army will let you take. My first choice would be an accoustic guitar. Second would be a harmonica.
  5. Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    If you're going to boot camp you wouldn't have the opportunity to play anyway. Six weeks away won't destroy your interest in bass. It WILL hurt your skills. You'll just have to practice when you get back to it.
  6. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Read up on theory. There are many exercises you can do in your head regarding theory. Even better, with a piece of paper you can write down scales from major/minor onward, note by note.
  7. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    work on your inner game of bass.

... if you have a palm pilot, d'load FretBoard v0.9, work every 2-5-1 you can mentally.
  8. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    TRANSCRIBE. If you can't work on the physical approach, work on getting your ear into better shape. Transcribe and work on pretty much ANY ear training course.
  9. Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Guys, if he's in boot camp, none of this is an option. No radio. No CD, No music, No nothing.

In my basic training experience, the only thing I was exposed to that used electricity at all was the lights.
  10. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!

how about ABG's?
  11. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    He said CANADIAN armed reserve.:D
  12. Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I can't picture it being that different.

Think of boot camp as being in prison without the fun parts.

Yes. Yes. I know prison is punishment so there aren't supposed to be benefits. But prisoners get TV, vistors, way more fun than we had in boot camp.

Of course we didn't have to worried about being raped or shivved. So I guess it's about even.
  13. i remember seeing a practise tool in Guitar Player some years ago. Its about the size of a cigarette packet and has four white buttons on top, spring loaded, that you use for each finger to do strengthening exercises. Maybe hunt on e-bay to see if they are still around anywhere.

sorry, my fading memory fails me as to its name... maybe someone here knows what im talking about
  14. Practice these scales around the circle of fifths/fourths:

- Major modes
    - Melodic and harmonic minor modes
    - Diminished scales (half-whole, whole-half)

Then practice naming all the notes in these chord types around the circle of fifths/fourths:

(figuring if you can name a 13 chord, you also should be able to name a n 11th chord, 9th, or 7th)

M13, m13, 13, alt, sus13, half-dim 13, 13

With the 13 chord, then add different alterations -- b9, #9, b5, #5, etc. Note that both M13 and dom. 13 chords have a naturally #11 unless specified otherwise. You get the idea.

This is a great excercise, although when you're playing ideally you shouldn't be thinking about the notes in the scales, etc.
  15. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Bad idea. Such practice tools are a waste of time and are potentially very dangerous to your fingers.
  16. Feda

Feda Screwed up pitch

Jan 12, 2004
    Bergen, Norway

Just relax MCBTunes. Sure, your fingers are gonna get a bit stiff but after a couple of hours on the bass it'll all be back to normal. Just enjoy bootcamp:)
  17. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    This is the new Army, brah. Yes, yes you do.