1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What to do?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Wallygator, Jun 20, 2014.

1. Ok, so here is my situation. I find myself practicing with 2 different bands. One band rents a rehearsal room with some amazing equipment. The other practices in a basement with our own equipment. I have used a number of combo amps. On a budget, I picked up a 200 Watt Peavey combo that I figured would provide enough headroom for the basement band.

From a volume standpoint it was fine, but as we practiced it started to fart and just never sounded as smooth and rich as the amps included with the rehearsal hall. I understand you cant compare apples to oranges and I have come to the conclusion that a head and cabinet is probably the way to go.

My question is where to start. I would want a lightweight rig that can keep up with a classic hard rock 5 piece band.

2. Linnin

Linnin SUSPENDED

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Do yourself a BIG favor and audition a Fender Rumble 500 head with matching Rumble 410 cab. :thumbsup: Fabulous Fender Tone in a small lightweight D-Class package that is reliable. Four famous Eminence ceramic magnet driven woofs with a sweet sounding tweet in a well designed compact and lightweight plywood cabinet. $900 shipped from any of the major e-tailers. All of the D-Class Fender Rumbles are getting rave reviews over at the Fender Rumble Club. ;) Check 'em out! You won't be sorry.

3. orangejulius3

orangejulius3 Supporting Member

May 6, 2013
    La Habra CA
    What's your budget?

If you go used, you can quite a good rig.

Amp- I would recommend either a GK 400RB or GK 800RB. Plenty of volume and can easily get in the mix.

Cab- so many choices out there, a decent 4x10 or 2x12 would be a good starting point.